DIY Cable Gallery!!
Aug 13, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #2,596 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicallySilent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pardon my asking and possible stupidity but why do you have so many connectors... or more likely what do you use that cable for

That's the extension cable for my balanced 5.1 surround 'phones. (Just kidding)

When televising a sporting event that snake organizes pretty much every audio connection necessary for the announcers' booth. Mics, IFB, two-way intercom, and talkback, plus 5 extra lines to use when needed, just to keep things tidy.

Even when I fly, it goes in my carry-on bag.

Aug 14, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #2,597 of 16,305
Yea that is a good idea...

I see the concept behind putting it in your carry on bag if it has 100 dollars of connectors and who knows how many dollars of cables

The airport security must ask you what that thing is though :p

Anyone who thought to steal it would probably be clueless as to what it does also :p

Aug 14, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #2,598 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The breakout box is so i don't have to keep switching the cables between my speakers + headphones to my soundcard. When the headphones are plugged in the speakers are automatically disconnected
smily_headphones1.gif

If you ever do it again I would suggest running down to the hardware store and picking up some rubber grommets for the holes in the plastic case. It'd be a shame to the box cut through the cable and cause a short.

Here's a little ditty I whipped up tonight for the silent auction at the Boston Head-Fi Meet in a few weeks.

boston_07.JPG

Aug 14, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #2,599 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by eddiewalker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even when I fly, it goes in my carry-on bag.

Airport Security: "Enough is enough! I have had it with these mother****ing snakes on this mother****ing plane!"
snakesonaplane1.jpg

Aug 15, 2007 at 10:43 AM Post #2,600 of 16,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow TMM, that box is awesome. Is it easy making something that switches like that?

Yep very simple. Just a switched jack and a regular jack. The regular jack is wired through the normally closed contacts on the the switched jack, so when you plug in a cable to the switched jack the regular jack gets disconnected
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you ever do it again I would suggest running down to the hardware store and picking up some rubber grommets for the holes in the plastic case. It'd be a shame to the box cut through the cable and cause a short.

I was going to put some grommets for aesthetic purposes, but it doesn't look too bad and the insulation is very tough anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #2,605 of 16,305
If i was to consider starting to fiddle around in making my own cables, what would be the best stuff to use to begin with, not for actual use with any equipment, just literrally to get used to doing it without screwing up with more expensive stuff :p I recon I would probably be buying any cable from Maplins [maplins.co.uk] (I live in ireland, and there isn't very much in the way of shops selling cable other than them). After looking through all the cables they do i'm a bit lost as to what the right sort is, both for quality cables and for basic junk to practice on.

Any insight into it for a poor confused me?

EDIT: Found a link on a thread deep down in the forums to an ebay shop that does pretty cheap wire, so i may just order a load of that instead, its not expensive and should suit my learning process
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 12:07 PM Post #2,608 of 16,305
Yeah, I was expecting it to cost alot more considering the retail prices of cable in shops here, so was a bit concerned about basically messing up a bunch of cables ^^. My plan is to recable my MS-1s to have Removable cables so that I can have a long one for at home and a short one for when i head out. So best place to start off on this venture is to make some Interconnects before i go breaking my headphones
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #2,610 of 16,305
I gotta say DIYselfers that I normally would have no inclination of trying to build my own cables, but after seeing the amazing builds and the true passion that everyone here expresses, I just might give it a go. The cables are just gorgeous and I'm sure they sound incredible also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back