DIY Cable Gallery!!
Sep 2, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #15,856 of 16,305
I, personally, have not worked with XLR connectors yet (getting ready to order some to make balanced cables between my Modius and Jotunheim), but I would probably look at putting some heat shrink around the solder connections if concerned about the stresses there. Also you could stack some heat shrink around the cable where the XLR connector ends to thicken the cable.

Sep 21, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #15,857 of 16,305
Hi guys, new cable builder here (i've done two) hoping for some recommendations for iem cable connectors. I know what i would look for in a decent wire to use (UP OCC copper/silver etc) but what am i looking for when it comes to connectors, 3.5mm jacks/mmcx pins etc?

Can anyone point me to suppliers or standards to seek out?

Are there any guides akin to the IEM thread summary for cables?

Thanks

Sep 24, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #15,858 of 16,305
CEMA Electro Acousti cables are highly recommended in the cheap/bang for buck cables thread. They also sell DIY wire/plugs etc. What caught my eye was their UPOCC litz copper wires in 4-core round braided sections:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000007820233.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.71474c4d1onyxA

I reckon its the same wire they use in their mid level cables. For $9.66 USD (1.25m) you have enough wire for a 4 ft iem cable.

Cost about $15 USD in total to make this cable!!! amazing value
dQHWyRRl.jpg

Bought 3 x 1.25m, came in a continuous 3.75m
KuLBFjil.jpg

OCeeiKGl.jpg

h5hjhYbl.jpg

I'm just looking at order some of this as well. How flexible are they? They look stiff.

Oct 9, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #15,862 of 16,305
Oct 11, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #15,865 of 16,305
What country are you in, buddy?

I've made a few new cables recently which I'll share soon, but I wanted to share this one because I feel its a bit different from the norm...

Here is my modular build - the jack termination is actually a screw-on set of 2.5mm balanced/3.5mm SE/3.5mm balanced and 4.4mm balanced. No adapters needed anywhere near this baby :)

Comments and feedback welcome

20200510_193711.jpg20200510_193722.jpg20200510_193700.jpg
Those connectors looms absolutely fab! If you don't mind could you pls give a link from where to purchase them?

Oct 12, 2020 at 4:10 AM Post #15,866 of 16,305
Those connectors looms absolutely fab! If you don't mind could you pls give a link from where to purchase them?
Sure, I bought it from here, but I really don't recommend it - the clear plastic threaded part broke off inside the screw section. Really poor quality, I've since replaced it with an Oyaide 3.5mm

Oct 14, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #15,867 of 16,305
PA142034.jpg

Neutrik NC4 MX-BAG
Amphenol KM2PB-AU
Sommer Cable SC-Cicada 4
Cosmic Cables Medium Carbon Fibre Silver (7mm in, 2x 4mm out)
MDPC-X small sleeving - Oxide Orange
MDPC-X small clear heat shrink

I had the hardest time getting the wiring correct on this one. For the life of me I could not find any type of wiring diagram for 4 pin XLR to 3.5 mm mono. Eventually I was able to pull off heatshrink on a similar cable that I was replacing with this one (too short for my tastes). For anyone needing help, wire only the 4 individual wires to pins 1 through 4 on the XLR connector. Do not connect the shielding or drain wire to the ground. On the mono side, wire the positive pin to the tip and the negative pin to the ground. In this case that would be pins 1 and 3 would be to the tips and 2/4 to the sleeve/ground.

PA142044.jpg

Rean NYS 228
Rean NYS 226
Sommer Cable SC-Albedo MKII
Cosmic Cables Medium Carbon Fibre Silver (7mm in, 2x 4mm out)
MDPC-X small sleeving - Oxide Orange
MDPC-X small clear heat shrink

Apologies for the fuzzy picture; apparently the camera shifted while I was taking the shot. Hardest part about this particular cable was getting the sleeved wires through the cable splitter. I ended up putting some clear heat shrink on the end of the sleeve leaving some of the wire exposed, threading through the splitter to a point where only about 2 mm of the heat shrink was sticking through the 4 mm out hole. Then had to use a pair of pliers to forcefully pull through the heat shrink and pray it didn't rip before the sleeve made it through the hole. In the future when I use this cable again, I will most likely be fabricating splitters myself out of wood because I've had the hardest time trying to source these items without paying an arm and a leg.

PA142040.jpg

Neutrik NC3 MXX-B
Neutrik NC3 FXX-B
Sommer Cable SC-Albedo MKII

Two XLR male to female 3 pin cables to complete the balanced transition between the Schiit Modius and Schiit Jotunheim components.

All of the cable and connectors came from Thomann Music. Downside is that these ship from Germany, but upside was that they generally arrived faster to the house than most domestic US options.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back