1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

DIY Cable Gallery!!

First

Back
1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037
1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047
Next

Last
  1. legopart
    Really good job!
    but I still can't understand why so much not necessarily adapters for the headphones.
    You could create enough long cable for each of the 7 headphones.
    I still cant understand why people create this dual out-come cables that you have to rest and feel them on your shoulders.

but, still it's a great work!

2. zmhaha
    The 6 pair of headphone adapters and other 12 adapters, all together took 17 meter of the copper wire (after 4 wire braiding).

If I had gone with full blown cable for each headphone, a 2 meter 8 wire braid would take about 18 meter of the copper wire.... times 6...
    these wires are expensive already, unbiraded.. can't afford going that way.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  3. legopart
    do you twisted the cables by yourself ?

4. zmhaha
    No. the braid was done by the wire seller at extra cost. The labor is not expensive there. Like $20-$25 to braid a 1.5meter one.
    But basically they did not charge me anything for the wire braiding because I bought like 50 meters of their TOTL product all at once.

I basically just do the shopping, wires, connectors, etc.. and all the communications..
    all actual cable making are done by my cable maker and the wire seller. Took me about a week to get everything together, like figuring out what I want, which style, etc..
    Another 3 days for my cable maker to solder like 50 joints.. Then 3 days of DHL express, these chunk of metal arrived today.

5. legopart
    I decently understand you, I put the same connection on many headphones and plan to make it on more.
    I just wanted to adjust one cable for all .
    and many say me that the better way is to buy new one expensive that accept all the option with balanced unplugged cable
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is my first prototype
    after that I create my most loved balanced cable
    [​IMG]
    then mode the original ones to this connector
    [​IMG]

Firs nylon sleeve mod
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Second sleeve with cheap bad quality laces mod
    [​IMG]

Last sleeve replaced with cotton waxed laces mod, where I could
    [​IMG]

The global cables almost the same

It not so necessary to follow my cables history, but thanks to this thread I can :dt880smile:

6. zmhaha
    yea man... Yesterday, my desk was a complete mess with all the cables from 6 pairs of headphones hanging down there... now its completely free.

I wish I had the determination to rescoket all the headphones... but i don't...

7. legopart
    On most (if not on them all) of them this impossible!

my headphones cheaper the your's and not having this functions of unplugged cables like yours ...

8. kingkikapu
    Sweet Jesus look at all of those furutech connectors! Total baller :)

Was the wire from Wan Lung?

9. Pingupenguins

Damn super clean stuff, and like kingkikapu said, I can't even afford to put so much furutech on my gear!

10. kingkikapu
    Hey Brian how does the silk sleeving do when used around traditional wire instead of your silk wrapped stuff?

I have some Neotech 24 awg left over and am curious to put it in some silk.

Pingupenguins likes this.
  11. Pingupenguins
    Definitely not the best option because the XLPE insulation is typically the limiting factor, but I've enjoyed it on some of the test cables I've done over the years. It's very unique. If you can get your hands on a solder pot though, I would highly recommend trying Litz out.

12. kingkikapu
    I’ve got a solder pot and a bar of 4% silver kester solder. I have some silver litz kicking around as well. Nice stuff. Pricey, but nice. Hard to beat.

13. Pingupenguins
    Thats the good stuff! Yeah it can be, just need to know where to look. :wink:

14. demevalos
    Two new cables from this weekend. Balanced 4 pin XLR to HD 650/6XX/600 connectors, sleeved in paracord with heatshrink at the Y split. And then a 4 pin XLR to TRS 6.35mm.

Update 2/13 - This cable was sold. I take commissions if anyone is interested.

oXIZUCq.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Slipmyster likes this.
  15. Kopfkraut
    I absolutely LOVE the modular system and I hope to create something similar for myself at some point. Brilliant stuff. I'd probably move the termination to just below the split though so you don't have two separate little cables for every headphone connector.

First

Back
1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037
1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047
Next

Last