DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jan 19, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #15,556 of 16,305
Really good job!
but I still can't understand why so much not necessarily adapters for the headphones.
You could create enough long cable for each of the 7 headphones.
I still cant understand why people create this dual out-come cables that you have to rest and feel them on your shoulders.

but, still it's a great work!

Jan 19, 2019 at 3:23 AM Post #15,557 of 16,305
Really good job!
but I still can't understand why so much not necessarily adapters for the headphones.
You could create enough long cable for each of the 7 headphones.
I still cant understand why people create this dual out-come cables that you have to rest and feel them on your shoulders.

but, still it's a great work!

The 6 pair of headphone adapters and other 12 adapters, all together took 17 meter of the copper wire (after 4 wire braiding).

If I had gone with full blown cable for each headphone, a 2 meter 8 wire braid would take about 18 meter of the copper wire.... times 6...
these wires are expensive already, unbiraded.. can't afford going that way.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #15,559 of 16,305
do you twisted the cables by yourself ?

No. the braid was done by the wire seller at extra cost. The labor is not expensive there. Like $20-$25 to braid a 1.5meter one.
But basically they did not charge me anything for the wire braiding because I bought like 50 meters of their TOTL product all at once.

I basically just do the shopping, wires, connectors, etc.. and all the communications..
all actual cable making are done by my cable maker and the wire seller. Took me about a week to get everything together, like figuring out what I want, which style, etc..
Another 3 days for my cable maker to solder like 50 joints.. Then 3 days of DHL express, these chunk of metal arrived today.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #15,560 of 16,305
The 6 pair of headphone adapters and other 12 adapters, all together took 17 meter of the copper wire (after 4 wire braiding).

If I had gone with full blown cable for each headphone, a 2 meter 8 wire braid would take about 18 meter of the copper wire.... times 6...
these wires are expensive already, unbiraded.. can't afford going that way.
I decently understand you, I put the same connection on many headphones and plan to make it on more.
I just wanted to adjust one cable for all .
and many say me that the better way is to buy new one expensive that accept all the option with balanced unplugged cable
Doo4vxG.jpg

HPSmezX.jpg

5Jh3lZ9.jpg

MRMaR0l.jpg

wd2op7A.jpg

sx3x3eN.jpg

y4sFAyG.jpg

This is my first prototype
after that I create my most loved balanced cable
zFukVy1.jpg

then mode the original ones to this connector
Fu5owIh.jpg

Firs nylon sleeve mod
W8iPNYL.jpg

ayjZfRd.jpg

O0cworu.jpg

Second sleeve with cheap bad quality laces mod
DzmJGwt.jpg

Last sleeve replaced with cotton waxed laces mod, where I could
RplTsfT.jpg

The global cables almost the same

It not so necessary to follow my cables history, but thanks to this thread I can :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #15,561 of 16,305
yea man... Yesterday, my desk was a complete mess with all the cables from 6 pairs of headphones hanging down there... now its completely free.

I wish I had the determination to rescoket all the headphones... but i don't...

Jan 19, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #15,562 of 16,305
yea man... Yesterday, my desk was a complete mess with all the cables from 6 pairs of headphones hanging down there... now its completely free.

I wish I had the determination to rescoket all the headphones... but i don't...
On most (if not on them all) of them this impossible!

my headphones cheaper the your's and not having this functions of unplugged cables like yours ...

Jan 19, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #15,563 of 16,305
Sweet Jesus look at all of those furutech connectors! Total baller :)

Was the wire from Wan Lung?

Jan 19, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #15,564 of 16,305
Had a DIY project done (not by myself). basically got all major brand headphone cables and adapters done with this wire. went with adapter approach as these wires can get very expensive and can't afford to go with all 8 braids full length..

I sourced all components in China, and commissioned a cable maker there who I have dealt with many times for years to do the soldering. I have good reasons to believe the wire's manufacturer is the source for several well known brand names, but can't be certain for 100%.

For the copper one:
each wire consists about 500 strands 7n occ copper (they also call it single crystal OCC, not sure if its a thing). For a 4 wire braid, its get pretty thick for IEM but look and sound great!
All strands are individually insulated but not sure about which type of Litz geometry is used.
Last picture has the PW NO.5 on the left for comparison (im not saying they made PW's wires...i just happen to have this cable at hand).

For the silver one:
8 wire round braid (paid more for an extra dense braid)
each wire consists about 100 strands 7n (not sure if this is true) OCC pure silver.
I am unsure if the strands are insulated individually.

can't wait testing them out more thoroughly.

P.S:
bad choice on the IEM cable slider on my part.. the cables are too thick, they can barely slide..not without risk damaging the jacket. well..never use them anyway, a shinny button would not hurt.

Damn super clean stuff, and like kingkikapu said, I can't even afford to put so much furutech on my gear!

Jan 20, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #15,565 of 16,305
Hey Brian how does the silk sleeving do when used around traditional wire instead of your silk wrapped stuff?

I have some Neotech 24 awg left over and am curious to put it in some silk.

Jan 20, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #15,566 of 16,305
Hey Brian how does the silk sleeving do when used around traditional wire instead of your silk wrapped stuff?

I have some Neotech 24 awg left over and am curious to put it in some silk.

Definitely not the best option because the XLPE insulation is typically the limiting factor, but I've enjoyed it on some of the test cables I've done over the years. It's very unique. If you can get your hands on a solder pot though, I would highly recommend trying Litz out.

Jan 20, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #15,567 of 16,305
I’ve got a solder pot and a bar of 4% silver kester solder. I have some silver litz kicking around as well. Nice stuff. Pricey, but nice. Hard to beat.

Jan 20, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #15,568 of 16,305
I’ve got a solder pot and a bar of 4% silver kester solder. I have some silver litz kicking around as well. Nice stuff. Pricey, but nice. Hard to beat.

Thats the good stuff! Yeah it can be, just need to know where to look. :wink:

Jan 23, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #15,569 of 16,305
Two new cables from this weekend. Balanced 4 pin XLR to HD 650/6XX/600 connectors, sleeved in paracord with heatshrink at the Y split. And then a 4 pin XLR to TRS 6.35mm.

Update 2/13 - This cable was sold. I take commissions if anyone is interested.

oXIZUCq.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back