Divine Moments in Music
Nov 2, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #156 of 193
Ahhh lovely thread! I'm sure I'll discover lots of music here! Gonna try everything out that I don't know yet.
Glad to see tehre's some metal here too.

My first song here, absolutely not metal at all:

Incredibly weird lyrics, but it all sounds so....I don't know how to describe it. It has a "coming home" feeling for me.
And the change around 2:26 feels like a warm, relaxing shower, yet it energizes intensely as well.
The video itself is artistic as well, I really love it!

Another one that sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it:

Especially at the 5th minute.

Edit: I browsed the first 5 pages rather quickly (will spend more time tomorrow), but WOW! I didn't expect I'd discover so much fantastic stuff here!
The ones that made the biggest impressions on me so far are:

Mazzy Star - Into dust
Om - State of non-return
Jeff Black - Angel (Footsteps)
The The - Good morning beautiful
Yello - Virtual concert

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #157 of 193
Meredith Monk is a fascinating lady. She is a composer and performer best known for her vocal innovations. Below is "Dolmen Music", one of her best-known works. For many people it might come off as "strange", but for me it portrays something… very deeply human.

I don't think I've shared anything by Steve Reich, the person often hailed as America's greatest living composer today, in this thread yet. It is unquestionable that the influence of Reich's music can be heard in various forms of music today from jazz to rock to electronic music, but despite enjoying many of his compositions quite a bit I've never been quite as enthusiastic of Reich's music as some seem to be. When it comes to minimalism I personally prefer Philip Glass, Arvo Pärt and so forth but that being said, "Music for 18 Musicians" is without question at least in my eyes (and that of many others) a masterpiece and one of my absolute all-time favorite pieces of music. It is easily one of Reich's most popular works, rivaled by perhaps only "Drumming". The work has been recorded multiple times by various ensembles over the years, but to me and many others the original 1978 recording on ECM is still the best and the sound is very warm and inviting. Some people might find this piece extremely repetitive, but if you pay even the least bit of attention no two moments are actually identical and this constantly morphing, evolving and flowing work contains more development in a few bars than an entire modern pop song over its whole duration.

If the last song portrayed humanity, I'd say that this one with its machine-like precision combined with its very organic sound represents life. It
 could be thought to portray an organic machine that
 could be anything from a single microorganism to a plant to the entire universe. For me the music manages to encompass everything there is into a single piece of music that stands outside time or space.

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #158 of 193
Ah, several Dead Can Dance vids here.

What about this cover? I personally think it's amazing!

I don't want to spam too much, so I'll just throw a few links here instead of embedded videos:

Therion - The rise of Sodom and Gomorrah. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqLYjRn--GI  Just one example of the marvelous songs they make. They also make rock-versions of famous songs like o Fortuna. Their newer work is completely different, but still incredible.
Lacrimosa - Kyrie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wF3v1wEiDY Very bombastic! Their other work is fantastic too, but it takes a LOT of getting used to.
Wolfsheim - The sparrows and the nightingales: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQUDGl7JR7Y (I love Peter Heppner's voice!!!)
Who doesn't love a good polka? 
tongue.gif
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogmrl9Yu9sQ (Don't let that scare you from listening to this! It's really worth a try.)

Ahhh I have to stop myself from making this list huge! 
biggrin.gif
 I doubt that's the intention!

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #159 of 193
Speaking of Dead Can Dance covers…

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #160 of 193
  (...)

I don't want to spam too much, so I'll just throw a few links here instead of embedded videos:

(...)

Who doesn't love a good polka? 
tongue.gif
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogmrl9Yu9sQ (Don't let that scare you from listening to this! It's really worth a try.)

Ahhh I have to stop myself from making this list huge! 
biggrin.gif
 I doubt that's the intention!

...divine or not, the funeral-polka is definitely more than just noteworthy:

...especially the step-dance towards the end...

...somehow the song is in the tradition of Leningrad Cowboys...

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #161 of 193
Yeah it's not as "divine" as certain other songs that I know (like music of bands like Nightwish and Qntal and such), but I do see this as a piece of art. Very expressionistic and a mixture of several different influences. It really fascinates me.

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #162 of 193
...the tuna fish is singing in a tuna afternoon...although knowing Evanescence rather well I would not call myself a fan. I (believe to) sense something extraneous, something artificial in most of their music that doesn't exactly attract me. But I guess this is as subjective as any opinion could ever be.

Still, one song simply blew me away when I heard it the first time and remains one of my favorites. Unfolding spiritual energy, an unique deployment of harmonic power and along with this some political statement that I indeed do appreciate; "(...) so afraid to open your eyes, hypnotized (...) you become their sacrifice (...)"... with best regards from the matrix to our fellow shadow government...

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #163 of 193
I've never gotten into any of the other Pearl Jam albums, but their debut "Ten" is certainly one of the high achievements in rock music. In particular the song "Black" has always appealed to me for some reason. I guess it's just the raw emotional drive that makes it a truly eargasmic experience.

I practically detested music up till my very late teens. Despite making a small effort into trying to get into it in my mid-teens, it was finally through rock music that I'd initially ignored that I found my ticket into the world of music people typically listen to. It did eventually become apparent to me I'd been listening to music from earlier on but it wasn't something people typically regarded as "music" and thus the same mentality had passively rubbed off on me. Over the past few years I've found myself growing tired of all but the most finest of guitar-based music there is. I'm not sure if it's just a phase or something more permanent. This songs seems to be one of the ones I still seem to be able to listen to.

I've always been fascinated by the music of Kyohei Akagawa ever since discovering him. He has chosen his very special blend of progressive trance as the vessel for expressing his ideas and visions. Despite the chosen form of music, Akagawa's music doesn't actually remind one very much at all of its root. When examining all the individual components separately, it is clear, however, that Akagawa's music could easily be called trance – all the essentials are there. At the same time something about the unique dark sound colors and abstract soundscapes combined with the peculiar and gimmicky bleeps and bloops present in a lot of Akagawa's music make his sound designs strike as truly enchanting and throughly fascinating. If Akagawa-san is to ever release a full-length artists album that is going to blow my world.

Below is the first track "Airo" from his "Airo / Parker" EP. Very few particular pieces of music in his discography particularly stand out because they are all simply very unique and captivating in their own right. I've chosen to share this specific track as an example because I feel it manages to serve as a good entry point, and furthermore I've always thought of this EP very fondly. In recent years (this track is from 2010) Akagawa has pursued a slightly more aggressive sound after first going through a period of producing darker and very multi-layered pieces. "Airo" means patterns, atmosphere, shapes in Japanese. The very word itself was the inspiration behind this track and Mr. Akagawa was trying to express it through sounds. Enjoy and let yourself be absorbed into the new, foreign world that opens before you.

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #164 of 193
Well, this song by Nils Frahm is, to me, history in the making. It's almost a perfect marriage of electronic sounds and a classical orchestral feel. It really embodies what modern classical music should sound like

https://soundcloud.com/erasedtapes/nils-frahm-says

(If it doesn't embed, sorry! I couldn't find a version on youtube)

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #165 of 193
  Ahhh lovely thread! I'm sure I'll discover lots of music here! Gonna try everything out that I don't know yet.
Glad to see tehre's some metal here too.

My first song here, absolutely not metal at all:

Incredibly weird lyrics, but it all sounds so....I don't know how to describe it. It has a "coming home" feeling for me.
And the change around 2:26 feels like a warm, relaxing shower, yet it energizes intensely as well.
The video itself is artistic as well, I really love it!
(...)

.... mamamia, finally I found out where I know that voice from... and strange coincidence, that song was even on my shortlist for this thread; whereas I was still hesitating whether it fulfills my criteria. But now, after you played this pass, I decided to post it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back