Divine Moments in Music
Nov 7, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #166 of 193

.... mamamia, finally I found out where I know that voice from... and strange coincidence, that song was even on my shortlist for this thread; whereas I was still hesitating whether it fulfills my criteria. But now, after you played this pass, I decided to post it...

...ha, even the pictures match quite well...

Hey I didn't know this! 
biggrin.gif
 I have heard of Royksopp, but haven't heard much of them yet. Perhaps it's worth looking into it a bit more.

Are you familiar with Karin Dreijer Andersson's band "The Knife"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtdE7yMDdiA This song is very chaotic and can make you restless, but I do love it!

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #167 of 193

(...)
Are you familiar with Karin Dreijer Andersson's band "The Knife"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtdE7yMDdiA This song is very chaotic and can make you restless, but I do love it!

...yes, I know that song pretty well... again, the Trentemøller Remix. Strange enough, that was my second Trentemøller choice for this thread...

Nov 23, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #170 of 193
... Bohemian Rhapsody on "A Night At The Opera" surely was one of those divine moments that became inherent part of mankind's musical history...

...now... compare Freddie Mercury here with Gary Brooker in above Procol Harum post... Both of them sitting, playing the piano and singing to it, both of them having a mustache and both songs mention the "fandango"... sure all coincidence; I recognized that some years ago and still can't help the impression that Mercury is kind of citing/quoting Brooker here...

Dec 14, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #172 of 193

Talk about one of the pinnacle moments in the history of recorded music. Undoubtedly one of my all-time favorite records from my all-time favorite artist, John Coltrane. A watershed record if there ever was one – Ascension marked a point where Trane's music started moving on from simply being avant-garde toward more and more freer form of music and also signaled his interest in moving away from the classic quartet format.

The album begins at a level of intensity some records climax on, and first-time listeners might have a bit of difficulty adjusting to the amount of things being expressed 
– especially if your experience with free jazz is limited. Despite how shocking the album can be to new listeners even today, I actually find the album still rather firmly rooted in the jazz that came before and the structure of the music quite faithful to the traditions of jazz. Coltrane's music after this record certainly became much "freer" and more reminiscent of modern free jazz, but there is no question that this record along with Ornette Coleman's Free Jazz and other notable jazz records paved the path for free jazz, which at the time was simply known as "the new thing".

I've enjoyed this record from the first time I heard it, but it took me years of listening to jazz to be able to even attempt properly digesting it and appreciating it on more than a somewhat superficial level. This is not necessarily a free jazz record I would suggest someone to start with if they were getting into the genre for the first time, but at the same time I wouldn't say it's a poor choice either if you have a decent amount of familiarity with jazz already.

I've heard some people – even ones who rank the album highly – say that there is nothing to "get" on this record, and that any people who do claim having managed to do such a thing are completely pretentious. When I was still learning to properly listen to jazz and less confident about my own opinions regarding music, I was unable to say if I agreed with this statement to a certain degree or disagreed with it. Now years later I can state that there certainly is a lot to this records and a very strong human component to it. This isn't music for the sake of art or something made to draw attention by being controversial; it is music completely built around human expression and the search for a higher state of awareness. Here is a record worth hearing a hundred times as you let yourself transcend while opening yourself up to receive things that cannot be expressed with words.

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #173 of 193
...here is something I really need to share... dEUS (again)...

Within a 5 to 6 minute song, dEUS is subtly and step by step increasing the musical intensity to then finally escalate in an emotional eruption... they brought this technique to a level of mastership like no other band I would know.

This is surely not the spectacular kind of music, it is something that wants to be uncovered and unlocked with a open mind and a lot of time... therefore, after unfolded, the pleasure lasts for very very long... musical perfection!

I can not thank dEUS enough for all those wonderful moments!

Here the first 4 songs of the album "The ideal Crash", they should be listened to in the same consecutive order.

Here another three real masterpieces from different albums, the first one is from the album "pocket revolution" and of the same name...

and the second from "Vantage Point", I mentioned it here before, but it is so good, so why not putting it here again and completing this post: "Slow"...

Slow, would be the tempo of the restless soul
He's seen what a listless life can bring
Wait and then he waits until he's waiting for
The latency of everything

Slow, would be the rhythm of the hummingbird
The quick speed in the shutter of his eyes
On flowers he will pose and he will spread the words
On how the world is slowly passing by

Slow, in the tiredness of your control
Of the moment that is nearly standing still
Delayed for a minute and not a second more
Then fades like a forbidden thrill

Gently behind the beat
We shuffle on ancient streets
The revert of time
Is our vantage point

We slept for a million years
Lived through a million fears
We are not nervous
We will not ask for more

If you can slow up
I'm gonna slow up too

Slow like the kissing of a lazy cheek
Like the limit and the deadline of the rush
And words, words waiting for you to speak
Or getting lost in your eternal crush

Slow, would be the tempo of the restless mind
He's seen what a listless life can bring
Wait and then he waits until he's waiting for
The latency of everything

Gently behind the beat
We shuffle on ancient streets
The revert of time
Is our vantage point

We slept for a million years
Lived through a million fears
We are not nervous
We will not ask for more

Pawns of the troubled times
And kings of our petty crimes
The minds will function
With a small delay

See what the past has planned
The future's a beggar's hand
The more we understand
The slower our days

If you can slow up
I'm gonna slow up too

...and last but surely not least W.C.S. from the 1994 debut album "Worst Case Scenario"... amazing on what high level these guys already started back then...

Jan 24, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #174 of 193
Ah, I think I haven't posted this one here yet:

Her voice, the music.....wow, this song keeps impressing me every single time I listen to it. Het other songs also are fantastic, but this one really fascinates me.
Especially with my LCD-X, using Voshkhod tubes in my amp it's almost hypnotic!

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #175 of 193
Here is the full soundtrack to one of the greatest movies ever made – Godfrey Reggio's Koyaanisqatsi with score by Philip Glass. I've known of the existence of this film for years but only saw it for the first time at the end of last year. I must say I was totally blown away. It is without question one of the best movies I have ever had the privilege of watching. This movie is the crystallization of what true moviemaking is all about: a merging of images and sound in a way that they both elevate each other to a higher plane and create something thoroughly mesmerizing. A movie that could be seen a hundred times and never experienced the same way twice, Koyaanisqatsi is incredibly captivating and thought-provoking in such a way I wouldn't even know where to begin to try to talk about this film.

The images are as equally important to the movie as the music, so I would not recommend experiencing one without the other without having seen the movie at least once first, but nonetheless here is the soundtrack for those who are curious for I believe the astonishing music does work on its own even without the striking imagery.

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #176 of 193

Here is the full soundtrack to one of the greatest movies ever made – Godfrey Reggio's Koyaanisqatsi with score by Philip Glass. I've known of the existence of this film for years but only saw it for the first time at the end of last year. I must say I was totally blown away. It is without question one of the best movies I have ever had the privilege of watching. This movie is the crystallization of what true moviemaking is all about: a merging of images and sound in a way that they both elevate each other to a higher plane and create something thoroughly mesmerizing. A movie that could be seen a hundred times and never experienced the same way twice, Koyaanisqatsi is incredibly captivating and thought-provoking in such a way I wouldn't even know where to begin to try to talk about this film.

The images are as equally important to the movie as the music, so I would not recommend experiencing one without the other without having seen the movie at least once first, but nonetheless here is the soundtrack for those who are curious for I believe the astonishing music does work on its own even without the striking imagery.

I am watching and listening it right now.

I'm now around the 10th minute, and from what I've heard so far, I think you also might like this:

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #177 of 193
These are all live performances of very famous artists that I'm sure everyone has heard of before. I'm sharing them because these live versions just contain so much more nuances and artistry that they deserve a separate listening of their own.

First half is Eric Clapton being amazing as usual, but 7:30 and onward contains one of the most face-melting, mind-fraying keyboard solos I've ever heard. It's a one-way elevator to the clouds.

3:25 Lindsay Buckingham erupts like a volcano. 

And this Stevie Wonder performance just feels so damn good.

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #178 of 193

Here is the full soundtrack to one of the greatest movies ever made – Godfrey Reggio's Koyaanisqatsi with score by Philip Glass. (...)

...you might recall, in the very first post of this thread there was another of Philip Glass' masterpieces, one from his opera "Akhnaten".

I am actually in the process of digitizing some of my vinyl. After reading your post I developed a certain appetite for Koyaanisqatsi and digged out the 1983 original LP and ripped a DSD64 from it. Very nice, thanks for reminding me of this one...

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #179 of 193
  ...you might recall, in the very first post of this thread there was another of Philip Glass' masterpieces, one from his opera "Akhnaten".

I am actually in the process of digitizing some of my vinyl. After reading your post I developed a certain appetite for Koyaanisqatsi and digged out the 1983 original LP and ripped a DSD64 from it. Very nice, thanks for reminding me of this one...

I've still yet to watch "Akhnaten". Recently I did however watch a performance of Glass's "Einstein on the Beach" on YouTube after it being on my wishlist for years. A very captivating piece. Truly a test of patience at 4h+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back