DITA - The Answer (Truth Edition).
Jun 9, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #631 of 1,451
  Sorry, I did not really A/B them as I am quite busy due to my upcoming exams. There is a noticeable increase in SQ in my heaven 6. I haven't really tried on the Dita. I will let you know again. I'm mostly using my Fostex HP A4.

Oh, no problem... Put your studies first, it is more important.  Good luck on your exams
smile.gif
  Thanks for the response.

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #632 of 1,451
Oh the pair I bought had about 100+ hours on them. I just wasn't interested enough as I didn't detect anything worthwhile in the time I spent, and I don't really buy into the idea of wholesale changes occurring over the span of hundreds of hours etc. Either way, the UERM sig just sounds more appealing to me at the moment than either of the DITAs, so one of them had to go

Jun 9, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #633 of 1,451
  Oh, no problem... Put your studies first, it is more important.  Good luck on your exams
smile.gif
  Thanks for the response.

I just did a quick A/B

ZX1 (disabling sound enhancement) with Pure 2 and Dita the truth.

With Pure 2, there is a improvement in clarity, resolution and soundstage. The difference is not really big. The most noticeable improvement is the layering, you can hear the separation clearly. Maybe Dita does not scale well with the Pure 2. In my own opinion, I don't find the performance/price justified in this set up.

Maybe ZX1 is the problem, I will A/B with my HPA4 later.

Jun 9, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #634 of 1,451
I've only read through the first dozen pages of this thread, so please excuse me if someone has already discussed the following: are the Ditas comfortable? Looking at the pics, there seems to be a large amount of metal to have hanging off something as sensitive as an outer-inner ear. Too clunky or heavy for some users? Like the IEM world's version of a set of Audeze cans?  (i.e. uncomfortable and heavy) How does their comfort compare with other high-end models, like the IE800s, for example?

I'm surprised that Dita went for Van den Hul cables - they had a good name in the 80s/90s, but I think there has been great advances in cable design and technology since then.

Anyone else tried them with the Resonessence Labs Concero HP? - Just read that one user liked the combo and Dita also says the Concero HP works well with their IEMs.

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #635 of 1,451
  I've only read through the first dozen pages of this thread, so please excuse me if someone has already discussed the following: are the Ditas comfortable? Looking at the pics, there seems to be a large amount of metal to be hanging off something as sensitive as an outer-inner ear. Too clunky or heavy for some users? Like the IEM world's version of a set of Audeze cans?  (i.e. uncomfortable and heavy) How does their comfort compare with other high-end models, like the IE800s, for example?

I'm surprised that Dita went for Van den Hul cables - they had a good name in the 80s/90s, but I think there has been great advances in cable design and technology since then.

Anyone tried them with the Resonance Labs Concero HP?

At first, after wearing for 2-3 hours, you can feel that the housing is a little big. But after getting used to it, I can wear it for all day. Very good isolation too.

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #636 of 1,451
  Sorry, I did not really A/B them as I am quite busy due to my upcoming exams. There is a noticeable increase in SQ in my heaven 6. I haven't really tried on the Dita. I will let you know again. I'm mostly using my Fostex HP A4.

I just did a quick A/B

ZX1 (disabling sound enhancement) with Pure 2 and Dita the truth.

With Pure 2, there is a improvement in clarity, resolution and soundstage. The difference is not really big. The most noticeable improvement is the layering, you can hear the separation clearly. Maybe Dita does not scale well with the Pure 2. In my own opinion, I don't find the performance/price justified in this set up.

Maybe ZX1 is the problem, I will A/B with my HPA4 later.

Ok.  Thanks for taking the time to try the Pure II with Truth.  I just got the shipping tracker for my Pure II and it is supposed to be here on Thursday... At least you said their is a noticeable increase in SQ with your Heaven VI, and I also own a pair of them so I can look forward to that matchup:)  Plus you are using the ZX1 and I am using DX90 or X5, so  a different DAP might have different results.

Thanks again.  And I hope you do good on you exams:)

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #637 of 1,451
  I've only read through the first dozen pages of this thread, so please excuse me if someone has already discussed the following: are the Ditas comfortable? Looking at the pics, there seems to be a large amount of metal to have hanging off something as sensitive as an outer-inner ear. Too clunky or heavy for some users? Like the IEM world's version of a set of Audeze cans?  (i.e. uncomfortable and heavy) How does their comfort compare with other high-end models, like the IE800s, for example?

Well to put it in this way; I can sleep on my side with the DITAs in my ear, and experience minimal change in sound, while I can't wear the IE800 at all, it's all dependent on the person. 

The DITAs don't FEEL heavy when I'm wearing them, but mind you I used to wear the LCD-2's for 6-8 hours at a time with no fatigue, so YMMV.

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #638 of 1,451

Anyone else tried them with the Resonance Labs Concero HP? - Just read that one user liked the combo and Dita also says the Concero HP works well with their IEMs.

Comfort is amazing for me. The housing feels premium and on the heavy side in your hands, but because they for so well in your ears with many contact points the weight is well distributed and it doesn't feel heavy in my ears. At all! Of all the IEMs I've had, the w4rs were the most comfortable. For me these are even more comfortable in that they are inserted shallow rather than deep (with the Westone star tips).

The IE800 is really small and in a sense may be even more comfortable. The trade off is a lack of over ear support and hence much more microphonics.

Jun 9, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #639 of 1,451

Well to put it in this way; I can sleep on my side with the DITAs in my ear, and experience minimal change in sound, while I can't wear the IE800 at all, it's all dependent on the person. 

The DITAs don't FEEL heavy when I'm wearing them, but mind you I used to wear the LCD-2's for 6-8 hours at a time with no fatigue, so YMMV.

I am the same as well. Most other IEMs I would wake up in the night and have to pull them out but with the DITAs, I find a lot of the time, I still have them in when I wake up. 

Jun 9, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #640 of 1,451
From what I've seen in this thread, everyone loves the AK240, and this amp called the HUGO. 

In that chain the AK240 is just an expensive transport. The Hugo is a DAC. The amp is part of the DAC stage. The creator has made several informative posts in the Hugo thread on this for further reading

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #641 of 1,451
  Can you guys possibly look into finding a suitable reference portable setup for your IEM, something that you guys believe is best representing the sound you guys were after?

Thanks in advance. 

Hi there,
 There are a multitude of portable amps, DAPs, DACs and combos out there.  It's gonna be really hard for us to try them all and give a recommendation.  There are a few products that we have here which we deem to be quality products but again, various combos yield rather different results.  Your request sounds like fun so we are gonna gather the team this weekend and put all our stuff on the table.  Then we're gonna do a shootout and a vote amongst our tech and sales crew.  We'll let you know the results.  Bear in mind that it's just a very small sampling of the multitude of great products that are on the market so take the results of that with a pinch of salt and of course, your own preferences.
D.

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #642 of 1,451

Anyone else tried them with the Resonance Labs Concero HP? - Just read that one user liked the combo and Dita also says the Concero HP works well with their IEMs.

Hi,

Your question about Van Den Hul is well raised and we thought we'd like to take the opportunity to sound off a bit on the reasoning behind that.

We are very proud of our collaboration with Van Den Hul and that's why we clearly indicate so on the Truth Edition.

There are many quality cable manufacturers in the market today but Dita has always believed that the rise and development of personal audio is still behind that of 2 channel stereo home setups.  This is not a knock on the various manufacturers in the headphone market but rather, the fact that most of these products didn't exist 10-15 years ago.  With that kind of head start in music re-production, we, as a manufacturer would rather look towards high end speaker rigs for references.

However, even in that part of the industry, there are many quality cable manufacturers.  Why then did we choose Van Den Hul?  Here are some answers in point form.

1. When you look closely at the Van Den Hul website you'll see that they offer cables in almost every conceivable price point for almost any Audio/ Visual application.  This means that as a cable manufacturer, they have vast resources and experiences to draw from. 

2. Van Den Hul also distributes the DAAS 4 measurement system which is critically used the development of many quality audio products.

3. Home audio cables and cables used for earphones (especially) are vastly different.  We shall not broach on sonics but rather practical applications.  A truly pure gold or silver cable will naturally be stiff and memory prone.  An inappropriate jacket material will yield high cable borne noise and unnecessary weight.  A too fine cable may be good for professional applications (concealment) but they could cause injury when worn over the ear and the cable gets caught on an object.  With the Truth cable, we were able to work with Van Den Hul to extract the best audio performance while also considering the practical aspects of earphone applications.  It's a balance and compromise that we must tread carefully, and any engineer worth his salt knows that engineering is filled with compromises. 

4. In terms of technical application, the cable that is used for a home audio rig also differs from that of a persona rig in electrical property requirements.

5. We wanted a customised solution that could maximise the potential of our driver and chassis design and to that end, Van Den Hul was willing to work very closely with us.  This is also the reason why we intentionally chose NOT to offer a replaceable cable.  The Truth cable may or may not work ideally if it was used on another manufacturer's product.  It's an unknown variable that changes everyday with the continued introduction of quality products. To that end, the Truth cable is not offered on the Van Den Hul catalog as it is a customised solution which uses a combination of advanced technologies pioneered and patented by Van Den Hul.

6. The strength of a cable that is used in home audio is rarely discussed because there is not much of a requirement in that application.  In personal audio we also have to carefully consider these aspects.  The Truth cable was tested to withstand a multitude of hard knocks that it might be exposed to when used day in and day out.  A cable manufacturer who does not have a vast catalog of products will likely be strapped when facing such engineering challenges.  See point 3.

7. We wanted to work with a company that is renowned not only in personal audio applications but also in general, high end audio as a whole because our roots run deep in that segment of the industry.

We hope the above might shed some light on our cable and the thought process that went into the product development.  Manufacturers often have to consider many more aspects than consumers do because almost all consumers have their own set of considerations when making their purchase decisions.  Thanks for reading.

d.  

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #643 of 1,451
Well, that is an excellent explanation of why Dita went down the Van Den Hul path and I thank you for it! Like many many decisions relating to audio, especially electronic design, things are rarely simple / black or white. Instead, each area must be measured and accounted for in the final decision making process. From Dita's well wrought explanation regarding their choice of cable, perhaps I can safely say the company has nailed that area. Now to find the extra funds to cover the Truth Edition...

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #644 of 1,451
I decided not to use the Dita truth for period of 3 weeks, I was playing around with Ortofon EQ-8 and IM04 and after a while today I decided to give them another go and see if I still like them.

Here is my setup, colorfy C4, Wong Kuan Wae solid core mini-mini, wagnus epsilon S using eneloop XX 9around 40 hours of age. Volume set at 70% on C4 and wagnus at 10 o'clock and I can say this setup is a 10/10. More importantly I can place this right next to ER4S, I got myself a new reference. Wong Kuan Wae

Users who are viewing this thread

Back