Discussions pertaining to the resale of HF2s
Aug 8, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #31 of 88
No surprise really!
Just look what happened to the HF-1, then note that the HF-2 are limited edition and highly regarded as well.

A used items price point is determined by two factors -> Supply and demand.
Supply is not-existent (sold out) while there are a demand for more. Hence price tend to go up.

Aug 8, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #32 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion it was a fair trade, The buyer was happy and the seller was happy. So whats the issue ?

The issue is that it's not just about the buyer and the seller, but about the entire community. Jacking up the price like that just because someone will pay it isn't a very nice thing to do to the community.

Other people have sold theirs for just the price they paid, plus shipping and a little to cover the paypal fees, for example: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/so...-125-a-437207/

So how does that hurt the seller? They got ALL their money back, someone else got the headphones for a fair price -- pretty much exactly what they would have paid if they had bought them from Todd.

I understand that most people don't really have any concept of integrity, community, or acting honorably -- we all get that -- but are you saying the person who bought the headphones for the jacked up price actually PREFERRED to buy them for that much more? Or do you think he would have preferred to get them for the same price as if he had bought them from Todd?
confused.gif

Aug 8, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #33 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof37 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Despite what our current President's administration thinks, capitalism is the way it works in the USA.

Quote:

We do not allow the discussion of religion and politics at Head-Fi.

popcorn.gif

Aug 8, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #35 of 88
if i wanted a HF2, i would first contact Todd and ask to be put on a wait list in case anyone cancelled their order. people always do. if this failed, then i guess the open market would be my only choice.

Aug 8, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #37 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope they get up to $1500, and I hope people make a bloody fortune.

Edit: I'll sell my pair for $2500 if someone is interested.

I doubt even with their FOTM status you would get anywhere near that. After all, it's just a mid-level grado headphone at the end of the day. Nice try, though (I guess
rolleyes.gif
).

Aug 8, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #38 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope they get up to $1500, and I hope people make a bloody fortune.

Edit: I'll sell my pair for $2500 if someone is interested.

I hope you get that kind of money! why not? This is America!
icon10.gif

Aug 8, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #39 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope you get that kind of money! why not? This is America!
icon10.gif

That's exactly what AIG and all those big banks were saying when they were making hand over foot profits from speculating on loans and then getting huge billion dollar bailouts from the taxpayers: Why not? This is America!

Aug 8, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #40 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's exactly what AIG and all those big banks were saying when they were making hand over foot profits from speculating on loans and then getting huge billion dollar bailouts from the taxpayers: Why not? This is America!

Headphone resale prices compared to financial corporations collapsing. Now that's an analogy.
atsmile.gif

Aug 8, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #41 of 88
Quote:

Other people have sold theirs for just the price they paid, plus shipping and a little to cover the paypal fees, for example: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/so...-125-a-437207/

That was my sale and I'm happy that the buyer ended up with them for exactly the price outlined. I also really appreciated userlander giving me "props" in the thread for my integrity. I have to admit that felt good. That's the only way I was going to sleep at night...but I have to chime in and say that I wouldn't hold it against anyone if they sold it for more. The problem with these discussions is that everyone has a different level of sensitivity to pricing. $100 to me is a lot of money...someone else, it's pocket change. If someone out there with unlimited resources REALLY wants a HF-2 and is willing to pay $2,500 to get it...feel free.

Back to impressions - after a week or so without the HF-2's I'm comfortable with my decision. I'm listening to my GS1000i and AH-D7000 in rotation and I think I prefer both of their signatures to the HF-2 for the music that's in heavy rotation. I've been back on a chamber-music kick and have been working through the Emerson Quartet's Beethoven cycle. Compared to the HF-2 (memory serving), the GS1000i floats the soundstage in a more realistic manner for me. The HF-2 compressed the four musicians into a tighter space to the point that the sound felt like it was coming more from a single source. The GS1000i gives plenty of space to each musician and the interactions become more realistic because of it. The Denon is a totally different ball of wax and I keep turning back to it for non-classical listening. I'm way behind the times but finally picked up the Postal Service album. It feels a bit more "present" through the Denons compared to the HF-2.

None of this to knock the HF-2...it just didn't end up being to my taste. I'm thrilled for all of the people that found their perfect 'phone because the fact that it's limited-edition and made "just for us" is certainly icing on the cake!

Aug 8, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #42 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof37 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphone resale prices compared to financial corporations collapsing. Now that's an analogy.
atsmile.gif

same mindset.
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #43 of 88
Quote:

The issue is that it's not just about the buyer and the seller, but about the entire community. Jacking up the price like that just because someone will pay it isn't a very nice thing to do to the community.

rolleyes.gif

By that logic, you should be going after the people that have priced their gear lower than what they paid. The ATH-W5000 used to sell for $650 in the FS section. Now you see can see them for $500. So why don't you persecute those sellers? By lowering the price, they are doing a disservice to other sellers who would like to sell it for $650.

The market will price itself. If people didn't see a sale as a good value, they wouldn't have bought it. End of story.

Aug 8, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #44 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by user18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rolleyes.gif

By that logic, you should be going after the people that have priced their gear lower than what they paid. The ATH-W5000 used to sell for $650 in the FS section. Now you see can see them for $500. So why don't you persecute those sellers? By lowering the price, they are doing a disservice to other sellers who would like to sell it for $650.

The market will price itself. If people didn't see a sale as a good value, they wouldn't have bought it. End of story.

The ATH-W5000 wasn't made for the head-fi community. It's a standard retail product. The HF-2 ostensibly was made for the community, and was not available to the non-head-fi general public. So it's a completely different situation. It's not about "the market." If it were, TTVJ could have charged a lot more, but he didn't. Evolved people who care about the idea of community can rise above "the market" in certain situations. We don't all have to be corporate robots who base our entire value structure on the so-called "market."
rolleyes.gif

Aug 8, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #45 of 88
I think I called this one a few hours after the HF-2 was announced. I figured there would be hot'n'heavy resale whinging, carping and mewling. I am not disappointed!

This will get even better when auction results start rolling in from eBay.

They're driving up the prices!

It's unfair to sell anywhere but at Head-F1!

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back