Discussions pertaining to the resale of HF2s
Aug 6, 2009 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 88

3X0

Headphoneus Supremus
On a more lighthearted note (or not), looks like the HF-2 have gotten a resale value climb already. I think a pair sold on FS for $629.. amazing.

Aug 6, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a more lighthearted note (or not), looks like the HF-2 have gotten a resale value climb already. I think a pair sold on FS for $629.. amazing.

Yep, just like everything else... things are only worth what people will pay.

You can jump up and down about the value of your house... get appraisals, upgrades, etc. but at the end of the day, it's only worth what you can get for it.

I'd bet my HF-1's wouldn't get nearly what they would 3 months ago.

Aug 6, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 88
Quote:

Well, that is how the economy works. Plus if you think a bit about it, only 500 HF-2 will be released. They are also very special cans in their construction materials. (Only the PS1000 shares a similar construction)

Anyways, waiting for Zanth's impressions on HF-2 w/ Salad bowls.

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 88
Quote:

Yes, this is how much they sold for. This included Express shipping and a pair of TTVJ flat pads.

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan1son /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Foam pads are an after market replacement part. Not a product in the normal sense. It's very normal for full retail to be the price for that.

His products are discounted and competitively priced, and, in my experience, he's very good about matching other prices as well. A lot of the things he sells require specific advertised prices, but when added to your cart a new price is shown. A lot of smaller manufacturers (Grado for example) have these sort of requirements.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm happy to pay a little more for things like IEM tips or replacement pads from someone I trust and respect.

All I needed to know was that Todd price matches. Now it's a non-issue. Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chill out or your time here will be short.

Is head-fi based in a communist country somewhere? Demanding competitive prices in a flailing economy is entirely justified. Companies that don't meet consumer expectations eventually die out.

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan1son /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, just like everything else... things are only worth what people will pay.

You can jump up and down about the value of your house... get appraisals, upgrades, etc. but at the end of the day, it's only worth what you can get for it.

I'd bet my HF-1's wouldn't get nearly what they would 3 months ago.

I made exactly that prediction a few months ago and was criticized for it at the time. You don't need to speculate that you wouldn't get as much, it's a fact. I think the last pair went for $300.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the price recover a bit over the next while, but I doubt we'll see them going for $450 ever again.

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #7 of 88
I am scared to think that HF2s might go for over 700 if some are already 600+

I will never sell either of my HF grados but that is a serious price increase, 250 in 1 month of order deadline. Craziness.

I see alot of numbers not on the HF2 serial post, makes me nervous some people hid from here and posted in random posts to get more to sell later. I feel bad for the old members who have HF1s and just now check too late. Please dont rape them if you resell to these members who missed out.

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #8 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, I think you were harshly judged.

+1. Also to the first paragraph of roadtonowhere08's post but we're not allowed to talk about such things.
rolleyes.gif

Well the $629 was with TTVJ flats and express shipping.. but still, it sets a precedent that sort of lends authority for more lucrative HF-2 owners to set their own ridiculous prices.
frown.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 88
I think Adam got a good deal with selling them, people want to pay it let them... Sheesh look at the K1000 and every other low produced headphone. Obviously the cost over performance ratio won over
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #10 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Adam got a good deal with selling them, people want to pay it let them... Sheesh look at the K1000 and every other low produced headphone. Obviously the cost over performance ratio won over
wink.gif

But the whole idea behind these is that they were supposed to be about "community." That's why there was a post count requirement to get them. By so blatantly cashing in on them -- before all of them are out the door, even! -- it's really a kind of violation of that entire premise. Because when Todd saw there was high demand, he could have jacked the price up, too. But he didn't. Just because you *can* get high price doesn't mean you should.

I know when I was thinking of buying them for myself and just asking some innocent questions about them, some members here really got on my @ss and said, "and don't try to sell them for more because we'll all be watching." Which was not my intent at all, but ironically I bet they didn't say it to this guy who turned around and did just that just to make a lousy profit.

Maybe people who sell them for such a profit should be banned from head-fi, in fact. I mean, if it really is about "community." They have shown they are more interested in themselves than in the community. Who needs people like that around?

Aug 7, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #11 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the whole idea behind these is that they were supposed to be about "community." That's why there was a post count requirement to get them. By so blatantly cashing in on them -- before all of them are out the door, even! -- it's really a kind of violation of that entire premise. Because when Todd saw there was high demand, he could have jacked the price up, too. But he didn't. Just because you *can* get high price doesn't mean you should.

I know when I was thinking of buying them for myself and just asking some innocent questions about them, some members here really got on my @ss and said, "and don't try to sell them for more because we'll all be watching." Which was not my intent at all, but ironically I bet they didn't say it to this guy who turned around and did just that just to make a lousy profit.

Maybe people who sell them for such a profit should be banned from head-fi, in fact. I mean, if it really is about "community." They have shown they are more interested in themselves than in the community. Who needs people like that around?

The "community" folks had a chance the first time around to reserve a pair...and didn't take advantage of it. They didn't sell out the first week. Head-Fi'ers had plenty of time.

Despite what our current President's administration thinks, capitalism is the way it works in the USA. Todd can't control what happens in the secondary market. The fact that they sold for over retail is a testament to the great deal Todd & Grado cut us in the first place.

Anxiously awaiting my pair...

Aug 7, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #12 of 88
Quote:

But the whole idea behind these is that they were supposed to be about "community." That's why there was a post count requirement to get them. By so blatantly cashing in on them -- before all of them are out the door, even! -- it's really a kind of violation of that entire premise.

That's why there was a limit of one HF-2 per member. What they choose to do with their headphone is their business and beyond anyone elses control.

I mean, Joe Grado designed the HP-1 as a tool for recording engineers circa 1991, not some desirable object to be held for ransom in 2009. But greed is greed. What are you gonna do?
frown.gif

I did some more listening to the HF-2 using the large GS1000 pads. I like the balance between the bottom end and the midrange but still am not comfortable with the "silvery" grey top end. Not bright, but a kind of glaze, grey grain. But the bass boom that the GS1000 exhibits is happily absent. My HF-2 only have about 15 hours listening on them. Some say they will get even better with time but my experience with Grados predicts otherwise. I think Zanth is going to post more comments on the big-padded HF-2 against his PS1000. He has great ears. He also has the intelligence to be able to decipher and analyze what his ears are informing his brain. This is often a grey area for me. It's like my heart can't differentiate between an old transistor radio and Martin Logan electrostat speakers because the song doesn't care. If I catch the hook, I don't care what I'm listening through. But my brain orders me to go for clarity and detail because I learned to recognize it. Getting the two (heart and brain) in proper balance is often difficult.

Aug 7, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #13 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by woof37 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The "community" folks had a chance the first time around to reserve a pair...and didn't take advantage of it. They didn't sell out the first week. Head-Fi'ers had plenty of time.

Some members don't exactly live on head-fi, and perhaps weren't here for a while. So I find your statement to be logically faulty.

Quote:

Despite what our current President's administration thinks, capitalism is the way it works in the USA. Todd can't control what happens in the secondary market. The fact that they sold for over retail is a testament to the great deal Todd & Grado cut us in the first place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's why there was a limit of one HF-2 per member. What they choose to do with their headphone is their business and beyond anyone elses control.

No one said it wasn't beyond their control. If you read more carefully, you might have noticed that I said anyone who was found gouging the community should be banned from the community, not that they didn't have the right to try to gouge the community.

Aug 7, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #14 of 88
Your kidding right..?? He bought them he can sell them... Which he did! End of friggen story. I actually placed an order for a pair, but pulled out because i actually didnt feel like i would get my money's worth. Being a "Grado" n all.
Oh and another thing userlander, M3ntal supported the community with his purchase.

Quote:

Aug 7, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #15 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your kidding right..?? He bought them he can sell them... Which he did! End of friggen story. I actually placed an order for a pair, but pulled out because i actually didnt feel like i would get my money's worth. Being a "Grado" n all.
Oh and another thing userlander, M3ntal supported the community with his purchase.

I'm not kidding at all. He gouged the community by selling them at a mark up, which even Grado disapproves of. People have been banned for a lot less than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back