Disappointed with my Sennheiser HD598s. Thoughts about this..
Feb 18, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #61 of 67
Good luck, and be sure to write some impressions :wink:

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #62 of 67
awww i read this whole thread and was excited to see what impressions were left.... and nothing! FAIL.

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #63 of 67
Quote:
awww i read this whole thread and was excited to see what impressions were left.... and nothing! FAIL.

Just give it a bit of time :p

I can write you some 'impressions' from memory

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #64 of 67
Ahh well looking back i hadn't noticed that the last 2 posts (before mine) were only from about a day ago. It seemed they were from 3 1/2 weeks  or so ago haha. Now i feel silly. Anyways, i will be patiently waiting now. I'm very interested in the HE-400, especially since i've heard the HD598, as well as the spent time with the yamaha monitors the OP has. Seems we may have a pretty close taste in sound.

Feb 21, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #65 of 67
I've just been away for a few days as I'm on holiday from work this week, but I'm ordering the HifiMan's tomorrow so they make take a week or so to arrive from the States. Everyone on here has been so helpful, so I'll be more than pleased to submit some impressions when I get them, so stay tuned. Btw, those Yamaha HS80ms are something else, aren't they?! 
Quote:
Ahh well looking back i hadn't noticed that the last 2 posts (before mine) were only from about a day ago. It seemed they were from 3 1/2 weeks  or so ago haha. Now i feel silly. Anyways, i will be patiently waiting now. I'm very interested in the HE-400, especially since i've heard the HD598, as well as the spent time with the yamaha monitors the OP has. Seems we may have a pretty close taste in sound.

Feb 23, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #66 of 67
Yes! I ended up getting the HS50ms since my desk and room was pretty small at the time (aswell as my budget), but i was much more impressed with the 8's! If i can stop spending money on headphone equipment i might end up with a set of HS80m's.

Feb 23, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #67 of 67
Yes! I ended up getting the HS50ms since my desk and room was pretty small at the time (aswell as my budget), but i was much more impressed with the 8's! If i can stop spending money on headphone equipment i might end up with a set of HS80m's.

Sorry to derail the thread for a moment, but just to say it might be more worth your while just investing in the HS10w sub to go with your present monitors..

Back on topic, I was listening to some vinyls yesterday on my HD598s straight through my hifi (something I don't do enough of these days), and despite the known shortcomings of LP listening, such as decreased dynamic range and inherent distortion present on some pressings, I really enjoyed that session for reasons I don't get through my digital sources. The lower end had a very appealing warmth and seemed more present on my cans than through my AE speakers. This went against my usual feeling that my turntable has a slightly bass - light output through my hifi.

I listened to a number of classical records, including Saint-Saëns's 'organ' symphony with the LA Philharmonic conducted by Zubin Mehta and Ravel's Daphnis and Chloe with Pierre Boulez conducting the New York Philharmonic. Both are 70s recordings and sounded fabulous in their own way. There was a certain organic way in which the sections of the orchestra blended with each other and the LA strings sounded so warm and expressive, even with some information lost at the very top end. I felt I could really get inside the performance and enjoy the work the musicians were doing, without being distracted by details of the actual recording. The experience was opposite to the analytical experience that many of us hifi and headphone nuts go through when listening through our equipment.

I also believe that being able to turn the computer and other gear off and have nothing but the small green light on my old Arcam amp to distract me added to the experience.

Back to basics, kids. Back to why we are all here - to enjoy listening to beautiful music, generously created and reproduced for us by the talents of our fellow men and women! Have a great weekend of listening everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back