Directstream dac and Bridge II
May 16, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #77 of 112
The Sunlight firmware does in fact improve with play. It seems the firmware burns in nicely with some play time. It is very nice and exciting. Like getting a new improved dac.

Jul 24, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #79 of 112
I just ordered the PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge II, even though I don't stream, or know how to stream (yet).
Just connect an Ethernet cable from your modem to your new dac’s Bridge II card and your set. You will need to download mconnect to your iPhone or tablet and you will also require download Tidal to your computer. Once you are setup you may want to add a good Ethernet switch and upgraded Ethernet. The possibilities are endless but the DSD with Bridge II is a good start. Good luck.

Jul 24, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #80 of 112
Just connect an Ethernet cable from your modem to your new dac’s Bridge II card and your set. You will need to download mconnect to your iPhone or tablet and you will also require download Tidal to your computer. Once you are setup you may want to add a good Ethernet switch and upgraded Ethernet. The possibilities are endless but the DSD with Bridge II is a good start. Good luck.
Awesome Mitchb! Thank you so much for the clear instructions and help. Have a great weekend :)

Mar 3, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #81 of 112
Almost 2 years since I started this subject and after enjoying my Directstream for a couple of years I am getting my Directstream modified with Edcor XS4400 transformers and I am upgrading the analog power supply with a Jkrichards power supply board and it will be powered by a Keces P3 with an Audio Art Statement E2plus power cable. I will be getting Synergistic Research purple fuses for both the Keces and Directstream. Lastly I will be getting Furutech NCF iec inlets installed in both Keces and Directstream. I am very excited for this as these upgrades are supposed to very much improve the sound of the dac. Very exciting.

Mar 3, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #83 of 112
My technician is Dan Santoni in Hamilton Ontario. He is legendary. The labour is only a couple hundred but all the parts including power cable and Keces P3 and RKRichards power supply board with 2 SR purple fuses and 2 Furutech NCF iec inlets comes to around $3400 CND.Half of the cost of the parts is the power cable. I will end up with a new dac in another league. The parts are almost all with Dan and I should be shipping the Directstream for the work next week. My digital will be down for 2 weeks but the anticipation along with my tuner should hold me.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #84 of 112
My Directstream dac and Keces P3 power supply are in Ontario where they are being worked on. It shouldn’t be long until I have my new and improved modded dac with outboard power supply back. I am told that I should be good for a very long time with this dac. I am very excited to hear it but I can wait. At least I have my tuner to listen to which is actually quite good. I should have my dac back in around a week or so. After all said and done it was a $4000 exercise but it leaves me with a much improved component.

Mar 23, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #87 of 112
I have my modded Directstream dac and Keces power supply playing with Audioquest Dragon HDMI from transport to Directstream and an Audioquest Wel Signature AES/EBU cable from streamer to Directstream. The sound is amazing and will improve over the next couple of hundred hours play. Extremely exciting!!!

Mar 26, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #88 of 112
I may not need or want another dac for a very long time. I was lucky enough to get one of the last RKRichards power supply boards and powered with my Keces and cables with top of the line Audioquest digital cables I feel that I am pretty much at the max of how good I can get my sound. I got my Lcd4 headphones back from repair from Audeze today and they sound gorgeous. Not trading them in for LCD5 headphones was a good move. The Lcd4 headphones are a special sounding headphones.

Mar 30, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #90 of 112
+1 Highly recommend everyone do the Edcor XS4400 upgrade. Around $60 for the transformers. Since the Edcor XS4400 are both pin compatible and board compatible with Directstream, it is relatively simple upgrade. Professional should be able to install in a hour and less than $200. Given that these transformers are key for the analog conversion, they make an immediate and noticeable upgrade bringing increased clarity across spectrum with bass, Ime, especially improving.

mitchb has done all other sorts of upgrades but they require a bunch more work and seems to be worthwhile. But the Edcor XS4400 is so simple and cheap in comparison to the gain, everyone should consider doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back