Directstream dac and Bridge II
Apr 1, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #91 of 112
At the 210 hour play point the sound is inexplicably good. Even with my 9 year old Perfectwave transport my discs sound completely different. They sound better in every way. I expected improvement but not this much. I am very happy and excited with my new sound.

Apr 2, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #92 of 112
BTW, I ordered 2 Edcor on Monday directly from EdcorUSA for a friend. They quoted May 26-June 23 for delivery. Just got them today! $61 + shipping. Point is that Edcor obviously stocking them.

Apr 10, 2022 at 5:22 AM Post #93 of 112
The sound keeps getting better!! If you own a Directstream dac then the Edcor XS4400 transformer upgrade at least is highly recommended. The transformers cost $100 shipped and the average cost of a technician to install them is $200. The dac in return is a dac in another league.

Apr 10, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #94 of 112
The sound keeps getting better!! If you own a Directstream dac then the Edcor XS4400 transformer upgrade at least is highly recommended. The transformers cost $100 shipped and the average cost of a technician to install them is $200. The dac in return is a dac in another league.
Now it says built to order with a 2 month lead time. Went ahead and ordered a pair.

Apr 11, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #97 of 112
Now it says built to order with a 2 month lead time. Went ahead and ordered a pair.

I also got 2 month lead time quoted and delivery within a week

May 22, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #100 of 112
I received a shipping notice and already talked to a friend who will provide the swap but I have to take it up to him.
I just got back and the install went fine. It was install by Ray Samuels as I was up to see Ray to update my A-10 to the latest revision. It took less than 90 minutes from start to finish. My problem will be the DirectStream is the DAC in my system with the A-10 as the preamplifier and the amplifier for Stax SR-009s.

May 24, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #101 of 112
I just got back and the install went fine. It was install by Ray Samuels as I was up to see Ray to update my A-10 to the latest revision. It took less than 90 minutes from start to finish. My problem will be the DirectStream is the DAC in my system with the A-10 as the preamplifier and the amplifier for Stax SR-009s.
One comment Ray did make for others doing this is the individual doing the swap needs to really understand electronics and soldering. The reason being the PCB board is a multi-layered board with the grounding somewhat complex. He indicated it would be very easy to cause damage to the board with the high heat needed to de-solder the analog transformers.

May 28, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #103 of 112
I am experiencing much lower volumes for the same DirectStream volume setting. Does this change with break-in?
With roughly 100 hours of break in the the volume has come back a little. However, I will say the sonics now are excellent. I can hear for myself how good these XS4400 transformers go with the DirectStream. Over on the PS Audio Forums thread, Ted did comment they are the standard now for the DirectStream MKII.

This has been way cheaper than upgrading to the Edelweiss MPD-6, MSB Discrete or the Mola Mola Tambequi 😊.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back