Directstream dac and Bridge II
May 1, 2020 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 112

mitchb

1000+ Head-Fier
I’m upgrading to a Directstream dac with Bridge II from a PerfectWave DAC. What can I expect? How does the Bridge II work? I’m new to streaming having only used my PerfectWave Transport. I’ve recently upgraded to a moon 430ha amp with LCD4 headphones and I’m enjoying them.

May 1, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 112
I have the same unit and the Bridge II connects with the Ethernet off your network as a Roon Endpoint. It gives you the flexibility of not having to have the computer for a USB near your music setup. However, I prefer the USB but that is just me. I don't think it is any night and day difference. More of a preference.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #5 of 112
How is the Directstream dac as a dac compared to other DACs at a similar price point? I went with the Directstream as it replaces my Perfectwave Mk2 and matches my Perfectwave transport. I’m thinking it must be at least Okay as there are a lot of them out there and not that many currently for sale. I may keep my Perfectwave Mk2 dac just in case and I’m thinking I could sell the Directstream dac if it doesn’t suit me for any reason.

May 6, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #8 of 112
I have had the DSD for almost 4 years now. With the free upgrades on a semiregular basis the desire to upgrade is held at bay. The improvements over the last 4 years have been considerable.

I gave up on the Bridge II after too many problems with Mconnect. The Bridge works well and sounds good when Mconnect acts like it is supposed to act.

May 6, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #9 of 112
Audio Addict. How do you like your Directstream?

I think it definitely has the same flavor as the PWD. I run it balanced into a RSA Apache and listen with a variety of headphones. I can't say it is a $7000 DAC but very few pay that. The software upgrades are a nice feature and have improved it. I traded my PWD in for it last December.

May 7, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 112
Mine will be running balanced into a Moon 430 ha as my Perfectwave Mk2 does now and I listen to a pair of LCD4’s. I like the sound with the Perfectwave so I’ll probably like the Directstream.

May 11, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #12 of 112
I have Directstream and Lampi GG. Both are good for different reasons. DS doesn’t get as much love here, but it is on Stereophile’s A+ recommended list.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/recommended-components-2020-edition-digital-processors

And it even has the * next to it which means they judge it will stay on the list for over 3 years which is really strong endorsement. Personally I think a lot of this has to do with the various updates Ted Smith has come up with which has significantly improved how DS measures and sounds. Although, I think we may be at the point where you are dealing with more flavors than truly one better than other. But it is lovely to upload a new build and change how your DAC sounds and hopefully find a flavor you love.

May 18, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #14 of 112
I have Directstream and Lampi GG. Both are good for different reasons. DS doesn’t get as much love here, but it is on Stereophile’s A+ recommended list.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/recommended-components-2020-edition-digital-processors

And it even has the * next to it which means they judge it will stay on the list for over 3 years which is really strong endorsement. Personally I think a lot of this has to do with the various updates Ted Smith has come up with which has significantly improved how DS measures and sounds. Although, I think we may be at the point where you are dealing with more flavors than truly one better than other. But it is lovely to upload a new build and change how your DAC sounds and hopefully find a flavor you love.
A lot of fun to upgrade the firmware every year. :)

PS Nice Lampi GG .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back