Directstream dac and Bridge II
May 19, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #16 of 112
I just found out that the Directstream dac I purchased is in fact new and never used before me which is how it looked when I received it. I got a brand new dac with Bridge for $3500 us with Windom installed. I think it’s a good deal.

May 21, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #17 of 112
A lot of fun to upgrade the firmware every year. :)

PS Nice Lampi GG .

haha seems like the DS firmware updates are coming way faster than once a year. Ted Smith seems to be a very busy bee,

May 25, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #19 of 112
I am loving the Directstream dac with no regrets but my question is that would it be better to get a dedicated streamer or would the Bridge II be a good bet? I have an upgraded Bridge II but I have read a bit negative on the functionality of the Bridge II. I must admit the Directstream is a nice improvement over the Perfectwave Mk2 which I very much enjoyed for years.

May 27, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #22 of 112
In the end I went with a separate streamer(Lumin U1). I could not live with the problems with MConnect and Bridge II was probably at the end of its a development since PS Audio is developing its own server. It also depends on your budget. You are probably not going to better yourself unless you are willing to spend a considerable amount of money.

Jun 1, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #23 of 112
The Directstream dac sounds good with maybe 100 hours play on it. At this point it’s a roller coaster ride with really good sound and just okay sound. I am not running it when I’m not listening to music as my Perfectwave transport is 7 years old and although it has worked without issue over the past 7 years I don’t want to put wear and tear on my transport unless I’m enjoying it. I could attach the Ethernet to the Bridge but I need to figure out the logistics of getting a connection from my modem which is downstairs to my system which is upstairs. Any advice on that would be appreciated.

Jun 2, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #25 of 112
Although the Bridge II has the odd hiccup with Mconnect it so far is working far beyond my expectations. Comparing Van Morrison Back on Top through the Bridge II directly A-B’d with the disc on my Perfectwave transport I actually heard no difference. I am very excited and impressed and am having fun. The Directstream dac is a good sounding dac.

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #26 of 112
Upon further listening with more recent recording Van Morrison Roll with the Punches I find the Perfectwave transport does sound better but not by a lot. If I wanted to narrow the difference I suppose I could get an Ethernet filter and a higher quality Ethernet cable between filter and Bridge II but I find the Bridge II sounds mighty nice as is and I am not itching to get better sound from the Bridge II. I’m very impressed and pleased.

Jun 3, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #27 of 112
The Bridge II is a lot of fun with good sound quality. I do not have a problem with the functionality of Mconnect. Accept for the very infrequent hiccup where I would just restart a track it seems to work fine.

Jun 5, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #28 of 112
I am having good results with a $50 per 25 foot Ethernet cable from my modem to my Bridge II. Does it make good sonic sense to go to an Ethernet filter and then a higher quality cable from filter to Bridge II?

Jun 6, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #29 of 112
I hear good things about the DH Labs Cat8 Ethernet cable so I will try it next Friday between my modem and my Bridge II. I’m sure it will be nice. I’ve changed digital cable between my Perfectwave transport and Directstream dac with an Audio Art XLR cable and so far early days the improvement is nice.

Jun 7, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #30 of 112
I hear good things about the DH Labs Cat8 Ethernet cable so I will try it next Friday between my modem and my Bridge II. I’m sure it will be nice. I’ve changed digital cable between my Perfectwave transport and Directstream dac with an Audio Art XLR cable and so far early days the improvement is nice.

The next thing we'll see is you swapping the power cord out 🤣😂

Let us know how it goes!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back