Dilemma: PL50, PR401 or ....?
Feb 5, 2011 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

xypher

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm new at head-fi and only recently started reading up about earphones. I am using a HTC Legend (pretty good for a phone IMO) or iPod Nano as my source, and had a Creative EP-630 for 2 years till it broke a few days ago. I've decided to get something decent for a replacement, budget max $100USD.  I listen to rock and heavy metal mostly, with the occasional pop songs..

I tested out the Beyerdynamics DTX100, Soundmagic PL50, Brainwavz M1, M2 and ECCI PR300 today.. Out of those, the one that I preferred most is the PL50. Second is the DTX100, but to be honest it will be too bassy for the music I listen to.

Is there any other models that I should be looking at? The PL50 and ECCI PR401(haven’t tested yet) price is the same here where I live, but the PL50 looks more durable to me.

Any help will be appreciated guys J

Feb 6, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 14

I have not heard of the Sw-Xcapes before..I am going to test out the Brainwavz m3 also, since it is on sale and within budget at my local store. Some music I listen to: Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Mr.Big, John Mayer etc.

Feb 6, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 14
Feb 7, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #8 of 14
I've read the multi-iem thread reviews on selected IEMs in my price range. The UM1 is $199SGD in Singapore, thus out of my budget. I should have given a budget in SGD instead of USD :) The information on the multi-iem thread is somewhat overwhelming for a relative newbie. That's why I am asking the opinion of the more experienced forumers, till I get round to testing them at the shop. Should be getting my new IEMs this weekend hopefully.

Some users state that the RE0 would shine better if it was amped. I am using an iPod nano 2gen, so would I be better off with other IEMs?

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #10 of 14
@mark
That's 'cause I thought the rest had too much bass quantity... Its nice for pop/trance songs but those songs are only a small % of my playlist. Metal and rock makes the bulk of my listening. The bass drums stand out too much and my ears feel a little fatigued after a while.

I think the DTX100 especially had more bass than my old EP-630. The PR300 was quite average in most areas, and the highs were abit shrilly at times. Thus the PL-50 was the best out of those I've tested, but the bass quantity was a tad lacking. I'm pretty sure I got a good seal with the tips.

Also, there are some very good candidates I have not tested.

Feb 9, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #13 of 14
new sunrise xcapes v2 sound promising.  Supposed to be a bit more 'fun'.  I have v1 and find the quality and comfort to be excellent.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back