digiZoid ZO2.3 Impression & Discussion Thread
Nov 11, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #752 of 1,021
Where did you get this plot from? Did you do it yourself? I'm only wondering b/c it's not an accurate measurement. Because of the way our SmartVektor technology works, specialized buffer circuits are needed on the ZO's inputs in order to get a truly accurate frequency response plot. 

Measured myself in RMAA with a 75ohm load. Clearly the measurement is accurate for the input it was given, even if the input wasn't ideal for Zo's algorithm -- it just might not be representative of results with actual music. Not quite sure how i'd measure it with that, but I'd be very interested to figure out how if anyone knows.

What do you mean by a specialized buffer circuit? I'm curious what this would do, because I don't have any specialized stuff connected when listening to the Zo.

Nov 17, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #753 of 1,021
I recently got my ZO2.3 and from my relatively brief use Ive come to some conclusions.
My gear is a Clip plus / ZO(ho)/ V Moda M80; Klipsch X5. 
I think its great with most contemporary electronic music or other polished recordings. It really makes both the M80 and even the X5 thump with a very dark bachground making all sounds very distinctive. I do notice slight hiss with both as these are sensitive headphones but only when nothing is playing. When playing I cannot hear any hiss no matter how much I try.
The tricky part is when I listen to other genres that use allot of down tuned guitars with distortion throughout songs or just seriously heavy metal bands with unpolished production. In these cases the ZO does its job but the grinding bass distortion that was once just a flavour added to the background for feel becomes a dominating rythme that honestly doesnt work. Bands like Jesu, Godflesh and to a lesser extent daeth metal.
What most impressed me and what I was most interested in hearing was my Klipsch X5 as they are a BA iem that had bass but couldnt thump yet had amazing detail. These things were made for the ZO! They never overwhelmed any misic with too much bass yet kicked it when asked. The M80s were already plenty able to produce bass and with the ZO it got better but sometimes too much. Yes I know its adjustable but Im probably more likely to listen direct from source if Im not adding the bass. With the X5 , I would never bother with connecting directly to the source. I dont know why exactly but the ZO isawesome with balanced armitures, maybe because they are typically excellent with detail and being analytycal, and the ZO can turn them into the happy medium of that but with some warmth and fun added.

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #755 of 1,021
Quote:
Will the digiZoid ZO2 work well with the Sennheiser Amperiors? I know they have a low impedance, but I am going to use the ZO for EQ purposes, mostly. Will it be to loud, or noisy?

Hi,
Just got my ZO2 and I've tried them so far with a set of Sennheiser HD457's, Klipsch Reference One's, and inline with a Topping TP-30 amp driving my Klipsh Reference One's.  I honestly feel that the bass is much more present/punchy and loud but the mids and highs are still present and clean.  I definitely perceive more loudness because of the over-arching bass but the sound is still very clean. 

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #756 of 1,021
First Impression: When played in Line-out mode from my iPod Touch through DT770-80s at the volume and bass I prefer... complete distortion.  I don;t get that from any other device I own with these headphones.

I will give the digiZoid device another try... but I am ready to relegate it to the dust-bin of gadget mistakes.

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #757 of 1,021
Quote:
First Impression: When played in Line-out mode from my iPod Touch through DT770-80s at the volume and bass I prefer... complete distortion.  I don;t get that from any other device I own with these headphones.

I will give the digiZoid device another try... but I am ready to relegate it to the dust-bin of gadget mistakes.

Try with headphone jack if you're using LOD (it wasn't intended to work like that at first and was quickly made LOD-compatible in v2.3 by user requests so you can count on it not working perfectly with all devices/headphones like that). Lower the volume on iPod touch and maximize it on ZO and everything should be fine.

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #759 of 1,021
Quote:

Well at least you're not being hasty

Nov 28, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #760 of 1,021
very informative post, thank you.

Nov 28, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #761 of 1,021
Quote:
Hey guys, here is my unboxing video, size comparison and set up guide!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zax07_gwLo&feature=plcp

very informative post, thank you.

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #762 of 1,021
Well, this is going to require some effort to calibrate the bass profile, with the volume on both the iPod Touch and the Zo2.3
and not distort the bass on my phones.

I prefer to not double-amp.... I need to turn down the bass to not get distortion even using headphone-out mode.
Turning the volume way down on the iPod Touch results in inadequate volume for me.

I am bummed that it does not work well in LOD mode, I waited a very long time to send back my Zo2.1
That digiZoid is working on an amp for the Zo2.3 is responsive to the community.
I wonder though how much of it is an admission of something lacking in the 2.3, I mean it does have an amp, right?

Maybe I should just use either Equ app or the SonicMacPro BBE app, and just enjoy my other portable amps.

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #763 of 1,021
Hi Guys,
I've very likely betraying my self as not a true headphone connesiur with this admission but I LOVE THE ZO2.3.  It's a revelation to me to get so much boom and I am using in LOD mode inline with a Topping TP-30 to drive a set of Klipch Reference One's.  Hardly a refined system by any stretch of the imagination but I'm loving every moment of it.

Dec 1, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #764 of 1,021
Quote:

I don't disagree with that. I sort of gave up trying to get a good match with my headphones....UNTIL I tried it with my beyer 1350s. It worked *great* with the beyers....the only problem is that the bass is already so damn good on the 1350s that I don't really need the ZO when I use them. But yeah, the ZO will transform IEMs to another level. Not just my cheapo Altecs, but my Atrio M5s, which are great already, will be almost orgasmic on the ZO. They sound huge and have an endless low end....I just wish I enjoyed IEMs as much as I do headphones. I can't really tolerate anything stuck in my ears for very long. 

Im looking forward to digizoid coming out with a desktop amp that has some real juice and also incorporates their vector technology or whatever it's called....or better yet, maybe like a ZO "buffer" that you could put in-line on your existing amp. That would be badass. 

I've been considering getting the DT1350s, but also been more leaning towards MadDogs. I like your testimony, that the DT1350s have good enough bass without an amp which is why I'm so intruiged by them for DJing/studio use also, but I also would like that extra oomph for my portable drum and bassing.

Doesn anyone have experience with the ZO2 and MadDogs? I'm under the impression that the bass is just as bottomless and lush on both headphones, but I'm just wondering how they compare.

Basically I know I'm going for the ZO2.3, but which headphone does it pair best with, MadDog, or DT1350? Or does it do both headphones' bottomless lush bass justice and either headphone would be fine, depending on if I'm looking for supraaural or circumaural?

Dec 1, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #765 of 1,021
Quote:

I've been considering getting the DT1350s, but also been more leaning towards MadDogs. I like your testimony, that the DT1350s have good enough bass without an amp which is why I'm so intruiged by them for DJing/studio use also, but I also would like that extra oomph for my portable drum and bassing.

Doesn anyone have experience with the ZO2 and MadDogs? I'm under the impression that the bass is just as bottomless and lush on both headphones, but I'm just wondering how they compare.

Basically I know I'm going for the ZO2.3, but which headphone does it pair best with, MadDog, or DT1350? Or does it do both headphones' bottomless lush bass justice and either headphone would be fine, depending on if I'm looking for supraaural or circumaural?

I have to give Doc Holliday (the head-fi'er, not the outlaw....and not Val Kilmer) the credit for some of this. I am 40 years old but honestly had no damn idea what dubstep was until a few months ago. Doc's point was that, while the 1350s had amazing bass in terms of extension, for something like dubstep there is more that can be had in terms of the AMPLITUDE. Now that is usually a deal breaker for me because I can't stand bloated, boomy bass. That's why I will swear up and down that the 1350s are truly amazing in the low end, because they hit all the way down BELOW 10hz and they keep it clean the entire way. It's also why I have the opinion I do about this 1350/ZO combo, because while EQ'ing can give you greater amplitude, in my experience it doesn't maintain the integrity of the bass. It gives you more "nose", not more bass. Whatever the guys at digizoid have done, their product allows you to have greater amplitude while also keeping MOST of the quality. So when you have headphones that already hit really low, and you give them a tool like the ZO to keep it clean AND increase the amplitude, it's pretty damn exciting, IMO. 

I really didn't like the Grados with the ZO, but that's not the ZOs fault. The Grados just aren't really designed for that type of application. The 1350s literally beg you for more, though....they'll take whatever the ZO can give them and keep asking for more. I think it was in Tyll's review where he said the bass on the 1350s was bottomless. Well, when you fire up the ZO and add it to the equation, you can also say there is no ceiling, either. All of a sudden you have a pair of $260 portable headphones that give you pretty much anything you could ever ask for on the low end, you know? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back