digiZoid ZO2.3 Impression & Discussion Thread
Dec 28, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #782 of 1,021
RE262 or RE272? : )

or anything with excellent mids and highs but lack the lows

I need around ear headphones though

M-100

or K550.... I guess lol. It's well received but I couldn't get a seal without pressing it against my head so its not the can for me

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #783 of 1,021
I'm not saying M100 lacks bass, but boy does it ever benefit from the ZO

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #785 of 1,021
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not saying M100 lacks bass, but boy does it ever benefit from the ZO

Does it improve anything other then bass, im tempted to get it for my M100

The beauty about the pairing is that it actually touches JUST the bass, and leaves the rest of the spectrum alone, so with the M-100s, you still get shimmering highs and smooth mids, and the bass just keep getting stronger, but never 'in the way'.

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #786 of 1,021
So I was just using my Z02 and I started hearing what can only be described as a heartbeat. Really slow. I unplugged it from my source and it was still coming through my headphones with nothing plugged in otherwise and it is beating in sync with the low battery light. 

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #787 of 1,021
Quote:
So I was just using my Z02 and I started hearing what can only be described as a heartbeat. Really slow. I unplugged it from my source and it was still coming through my headphones with nothing plugged in otherwise and it is beating in sync with the low battery light. 

Yea I've noticed the same, good indicator that it needs to be recharged. I keep usually noticing low battery first by hearing distorted heavy bass though as it can't deliver the required power. :p

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #788 of 1,021
I hear something really odd with my ZO2 sometimes. I normally have it on high gain, and when I turn up the volume on my SOURCE the sound starts to become distorted. Any ideas as to why? 
There is no distortion at normal listening volumes.

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #789 of 1,021
Quote:
I hear something really odd with my ZO2 sometimes. I normally have it on high gain, and when I turn up the volume on my SOURCE the sound starts to become distorted. Any ideas as to why? 
There is no distortion at normal listening volumes.

Yea it works like that, you're supposed to use as low source volumes as possible and max volume level on ZO if you want the cleanest possible output. The lower the source volume the more bass boost it can take before distorting. Think of a "preamp" slider on an EQ. The volume control on your source will work similarly. Probably it has to do with ZO being such a different solution compared to your traditional amp, the ZO is a full analog process while most amps in this bracket are digital. I think that's partly why I like the sound of ZO so much because I like that "analog" sound. Quite a few EQs have analog and digital filter options and I tend to lean towards the "analog" filter ones because the digital while probably being more "accurate" on an objective basis sounds more sterile in comparision. To me analog just sounds more natural.

This is why I also think ZO benefits quite a lot from having sufficient power behind it to so you can go lower on the source, I can notice signs of that already comparing ZO2.3 vs ZO2.1 (the ZO2.1 appearently has higher gain as it's a bit louder). But I don't know, it's just a guess, it doesn't explain how in low gain you can go high on the volume without distorting though but then again in low gain it's less bassy too.

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #790 of 1,021
When I pair ZO2.3 with iphone, sometimes I get the EMI problem. Is anyone experience this too ?
Maybe I just need a longer cable (than the original) to separate the iphone and ZO2.3 further ...

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #791 of 1,021
Quote:

Yea it works like that, you're supposed to use as low source volumes as possible and max volume level on ZO if you want the cleanest possible output. The lower the source volume the more bass boost it can take before distorting. Think of a "preamp" slider on an EQ. The volume control on your source will work similarly. Probably it has to do with ZO being such a different solution compared to your traditional amp, the ZO is a full analog process while most amps in this bracket are digital. I think that's partly why I like the sound of ZO so much because I like that "analog" sound. Quite a few EQs have analog and digital filter options and I tend to lean towards the "analog" filter ones because the digital while probably being more "accurate" on an objective basis sounds more sterile in comparision. To me analog just sounds more natural.

This is why I also think ZO benefits quite a lot from having sufficient power behind it to so you can go lower on the source, I can notice signs of that already comparing ZO2.3 vs ZO2.1 (the ZO2.1 appearently has higher gain as it's a bit louder). But I don't know, it's just a guess, it doesn't explain how in low gain you can go high on the volume without distorting though but then again in low gain it's less bassy too.

Thanks RPG. That is probably what it is. 

Still love the Zo though. It actually allows me to listen to music at lower volumes, as I get all the bass I want and dont have to turn up the volume to get that ear tickling sensation.

Jan 8, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #792 of 1,021
Quote:
Thanks RPG. That is probably what it is. 

Still love the Zo though. It actually allows me to listen to music at lower volumes, as I get all the bass I want and dont have to turn up the volume to get that ear tickling sensation.

Yea for me it's like that too, I always limit the listening volume according to treble levels, so if I listen ampless I don't get anywhere near "ear tickling" sensation bass levels which when listening with ZO does at that same comfortable low-mid level treble loudness. Saves your hearing in the long run if you're a basshead.

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #793 of 1,021
Quote:

When the low battery indicator activates, the LED draws additional power from the battery, which can pull the battery's voltage down even lower. If the battery is severely low, the additional power drain could affect the audio (such as the heartbeat sound you're hearing). This isn't abnormal, it just means the battery needs to be charged! =)

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #794 of 1,021
I just had a ridiculous demo on my ZO...a lady friend of mine who I have recently converted to headphones (she refused to use anything other than the stock iBuds) said she had been using the JVC S400s that I sent her to listen to ambient/environmental sounds when she went to bed. Well, today I went on my MOG app just out of curiosity to see if they had anything like that, and sure enough they do (MOG is amazing). I played around with some of them at work, and I had the idea of firing up the ZO with the thunderstorm and waterfall ones when I got home. Well, the rain/thunderstorm sounded pretty neat as is, but when the ZO got involved it was such a cool experience that I just sat there and listened to it for like 20 mins...just another neat way to demo this very cool little product! 

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #795 of 1,021
I have a new ZO on order to go with my Beyer DT1350's.

Thanks for the pointers in this thread. Really looking forward to adding beefy low end to some of the leaner and thinner sounding music tracks I have that don't satisfy the bass extension grunt capability of the Beyers.

If I get any additional impressions to add to the discussion, I'll post them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back