digiZoid ZO2.3 Impression & Discussion Thread
Dec 21, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #991 of 1,021

When it comes to attenuating certain frequencies (what you refer to as "go negative"), it's unfortunately not what the technology was designed to do, so at this point in time it really isn't an option. However, with future versions (where the "EQing" aspect can be completely user-controlled and customized), it may be feasible. But we'll see… 

Fair enough, it's just I'd find it very useful to be able to tweak the timbre (mids vs highs balance, warm/dark = more mids than highs, cold/bright = more highs than mids) of the headphones as I tend to search for balanced mids & highs presence with a boosted bass. I'm worried that ZO3 might be brighter sounding than my ZO2.1 that I still love using instead of v2.3 due to the slightly warmer sound signature which makes the mids very fullbodied and up-front sounding on my M-Audio Q40. For me clear mids isn't enough and I see that easy to achieve too, but I also want them to be reasonably up-front and have enough weight/thickness to them or else I tend to get bored.

Dec 21, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #992 of 1,021
  So, when is it going to be available? 
biggrin.gif
 Not that we want it before it's ready!

I'm in the process of writing a "latest updates" post, which you can find on a new ZO3 Updates thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/696263/digizoid-zo3-updates-discussion-thread

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #993 of 1,021
Dec 22, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #994 of 1,021
Fair enough, it's just I'd find it very useful to be able to tweak the timbre (mids vs highs balance, warm/dark = more mids than highs, cold/bright = more highs than mids) of the headphones as I tend to search for balanced mids & highs presence with a boosted bass. I'm worried that ZO3 might be brighter sounding than my ZO2.1 that I still love using instead of v2.3 due to the slightly warmer sound signature which makes the mids very fullbodied and up-front sounding on my M-Audio Q40. For me clear mids isn't enough and I see that easy to achieve too, but I also want them to be reasonably up-front and have enough weight/thickness to them or else I tend to get bored.

Actually I have a rather opposite view. I really like the simplicity of the Zo at the moment.
I've never liked EQ as I do not consider myself skilled enough to re engineer the sound.
Rather than make up for deficiencies in equipment I like to think of the Zo as an enhancement.
Keep it simple would be my preference.

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #995 of 1,021
Actually I have a rather opposite view. I really like the simplicity of the Zo at the moment.
I've never liked EQ as I do not consider myself skilled enough to re engineer the sound.
Rather than make up for deficiencies in equipment I like to think of the Zo as an enhancement.
Keep it simple would be my preference.

Doesn't surprise me that you're an Apple guy looking at the signature... personally I'm pretty Anti-apple guy as I prefer having control over everything and certainly have the knowledge to do my own adjustments. I'm kinda sad more and more people want simplicity because it hurts us advanced users. Over the past 10 years, everything has become more simple in general. Soundcards used to have tons of settings, now look at the simple Creative Z-series interface etc... It's okay if you offer both more simple and advanced products but often is the case that there is no advanced options left to pick which often annoys me.

A big reason for why I like the ZO is its configurability, 32-step bass adjustment, configure it exactly like _YOU_ want it.

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #996 of 1,021
Didn't mean to make you sad!
I see where you are coming from and have heard this POV ad infinitum.
I like things that just work. Shoot me.
It would actually be great if there were two levels of functionality.
I certainly do not find the 2.3 complicated but the 3 sounds much more ambitious.
BTW. MizMoxie. Why specifically do you say that Zo3 may give the sound that I am looking for?

Mar 1, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #1,001 of 1,021
can anyone comment on zo2.3 synergy with e12 amp? i know it works very well with e11

Quote:
  Whats the difference between .1 version from .2 & .3? I joined headfi later on and I think I have the .1 (first batch). Is it just the dates of manufacture or something added for better?

Thanks

http://www.head-fi.org/t/589201/digizoid-zo2-3-impression-discussion-thread/855#post_9375957

rpgwizard seems to swear by zo2.1 over 2.3 and says the sound signature is more enjoyable/powerful though, so u might be holding on to a superior version that people are looking for. i wouldnt mind taking that off ur hands :)

May 2, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #1,002 of 1,021
Guys I'm sorry for grave-digging, but I thought I would show you something interesting, and ask a question :

I was told that my ZO (I think it's a 2.3) is a demo model, and has an interesting feature.

When you switch it on, it goes into the bass adjustment mode (green to red LED) and you can't turn it into any other mode.

When switched off, it bypasses the ZO completely, but still lets sound pass-through, to be able to A/B the effects of the ZO.

Is this normal? Or is mine actually a demo model?

The only drawback seemingly, is that I can't switch between high and low-gain modes. It distorts like crazy when trying to use it with a line-out from say, an iPod.

Here it is, strapped to another amp:

May 3, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #1,003 of 1,021
That sounds like the first version of ZO2 (or ZO2.1) or possibly the ZO2.2. Those ZO had "passthrough" when turning the device off which I kind of miss in ZO2.3 (well I'm not using 2.1 because of that though) but it's nice when mastering EDM tracks to listen with it turned off to get a second opinion and not having to unplug it is a big convenience.

ZO2.1 (and maybe ZO2.2) have only one gain setting, the volume adjustment just stays in the blue range (doesn't get purple/pink at max vol). If it's ZO2.1 it provides a fairly good amount of amping (more so than ZO2.3), if it's ZO2.2 then it's actually lowering the output volume compared to not using it. :p  The only difference between ZO2.1 and ZO2.2 is the amount gain, the ZO2.3 is like having both those gain settings plus some other changes.

EDIT: Aren't you able to adjust volume if just single-pressing the wheel-button once?

May 6, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #1,004 of 1,021
Any of you guys use the Digizoid with modded Fostex T50RP ? I think I will get my ZO 2.3 this weekend but just wonder if it is a good pairing for transportable usage ?

Does anyone know how many full charges/discharges they take ?

May 6, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #1,005 of 1,021
White Lotus -
It does sound like you have a demo unit! You're right, that particular configuration shouldn't be used with line-out as it will distort. May I ask where you got it from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back