digiZoid ZO2.3 Impression & Discussion Thread
Feb 24, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #271 of 1,021
Another noob question:

When the ZO2 starts running low on battery - its gets out of high-gain mode and goes into low gain, even though the indicator is still pink?
Is that correct?

And yes I see blinking when i change to the contours - orange ish colour
Its been used so much lately :p

Mar 13, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #273 of 1,021
Anyone know if the Rocoo P with a rated output of 50mW will be overpowering the the ZO2? I don't want to overdrive the ZO2, but also highly considering the Rocoo P right now

Mar 13, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #274 of 1,021
Got my ZO2. Really like the sound coming from it. There's a little hiss, but nothing too terrible. The hiss when my DAP is plugged in is really bad (there's no hiss without the ZO2). 

The only thing that really has disappointed me is the fit and finish of the device. The lack of attention to detail and general chintzy feel goes along with the fact that they haven't bothered to print up new boxes for the ZO2 and are still using the original ZO boxes.

When I refer to the lack of attention to detail I mean that 2 pieces of plastic that make up the device are made of 2 different materials and that the edge of one of them is bubbled and not molded well. Judging by the way they used the old original ZO box, I'm willing to bet the reason there are 2 different materials used is that they're still using the back pieces from the old ZO and just had new front pieces molded that say ZO2 on them. These pieces fit poorly and the seam around the device is not uniform. For $115, one would expect better build quality, especially when you consider the competition.

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #275 of 1,021
indeed there is a little hiss - not as much as the A10 nor E11 though...
E11 was significantly present.

In terms of SQ - what you liking/disliking about them :)?

I see what you mean about your finish of the product + the box
-> end of the day for me, when i received it and compared it to the competition...E11 was literally and aluminium box, and the A10 had the best looking packaging.
In terms of build - the E11 felt .... like aluminium put together, and the A10 felt like there was paint all over it.
The ZO2's box wasn't really special, and the finish wasn't perfect either.

None of them are great or perfect, but what mattered to me the most was the SQ
With relation to finish + attention to detail, i can related with you with the TFTA's I had.

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #276 of 1,021
In terms of SQ I'm still trying to learn the device and how it works with my other equipment. I find myself fiddling with the contour adjust all the time and I'm not sure whether I like high gain mode or low gain with my source device turned up. On some tracks it feels a little muddy, but then I do an A/B and realize that the track itself is a little muddy. I really like how it's able to boost lower freq's without bleeding into the mids too terribly. 

I'm not sure about soundstage yet...something funky going on there, but I can't put my finger on it since it seems to change from track to track. 

I am pleased with the amount of amplification provided. Much better than the E6 even though it's just a smidge larger. 

I think I need to wait a while to give a final verdict, but so far so good.

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #277 of 1,021
Try a/bing it with the zo2 at the same level of the source
I find impassible to do, but achieved doing it with the a10 + zo2.

Also have some fun and put your zo2 via the e6.
I guess the zo2 is like marmite. You either love it or hate it
This is regarding the sound colouring or should i say the widening and adding to it.

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #278 of 1,021
Mine should be here on Friday, pretty excited. I just got audio technica m-50's and an e11. I also picked up a pair of jvc fx700 and am eagerily awaiting there arrival. Chances are I will be returning the e-11, its nice, but I'm looking for "nasty" and I think digizoidwill be the answer.

Ps...source is cowon j3......am I in for a treat?? I sold my sm3's which were great, but I think these combo's will bring me more pleasure

Mar 14, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #279 of 1,021

Quote:
Mine should be here on Friday, pretty excited. I just got audio technica m-50's and an e11. I also picked up a pair of jvc fx700 and am eagerily awaiting there arrival. Chances are I will be returning the e-11, its nice, but I'm looking for "nasty" and I think digizoidwill be the answer.
Ps...source is cowon j3......am I in for a treat?? I sold my sm3's which were great, but I think these combo's will bring me more pleasure

Nastaaaay?

Do let us know about the E11 vs ZO2 - see how you compare it to my thought on the 2 :)

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #281 of 1,021
Im gonna guess it will be similar as ive followed a few of ur threads and that what led me to give digizoid a shot, lol

Haha! Well that's cool, but each to their own. So if it's the same, I'll be happy you found a nice amp via reading some of my things. However if you don't mesh well with it, i would love to know why :)

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #282 of 1,021
Still trying to figure this thing out. Sometimes it sounds awesome, other times it gets a little muddy.

One thing is certain, it does great things for the compressed sound from SiriusXM. Opens it up a little, gives more richness to the sound, and masks some of the digital artifacts.

Mar 15, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #284 of 1,021

Quote:
Got my ZO2. Really like the sound coming from it. There's a little hiss, but nothing too terrible. The hiss when my DAP is plugged in is really bad (there's no hiss without the ZO2). 

The only thing that really has disappointed me is the fit and finish of the device. The lack of attention to detail and general chintzy feel goes along with the fact that they haven't bothered to print up new boxes for the ZO2 and are still using the original ZO boxes.

When I refer to the lack of attention to detail I mean that 2 pieces of plastic that make up the device are made of 2 different materials and that the edge of one of them is bubbled and not molded well. Judging by the way they used the old original ZO box, I'm willing to bet the reason there are 2 different materials used is that they're still using the back pieces from the old ZO and just had new front pieces molded that say ZO2 on them. These pieces fit poorly and the seam around the device is not uniform. For $115, one would expect better build quality, especially when you consider the competition.

First of all, thanks for purchasing our product. We appreciate the time and energy you put into making a post about your impressions of the ZO2. That being said, we would like an opportunity to explain exactly what it is you are looking at. Most importantly, the enclosure itself, top and bottom, are made of Polycarbonate (e.g. Lexan). Also, we did not use the same back plate as the original ZO, the device is entirely new moldings. The incongruity you describe as “two different materials” is actually a result of the rubberized coating process. We have worked very hard to ensure that the coating company did their job as well as possible, in fact we had to send back two entire production runs and meet several times with their Quality Assurance people before we could get an acceptable run.

Second, we hope everyone will keep in mind one thing. We are a company comprised of three employees. Not three thousand, not three hundred, not even thirty. Three. We take our business quite seriously and do the very best we can to provide our customers with quality products and service. Also, something to consider when comparing a ZO to the typcial headphone amp, a ZO is first and foremost a device to give bassheads the bass they want, especially deep sub-bass. Of course, ZO does have integrated headphone amplification but it’s primary purpose is to deliver extreme bass performance for portable listening. The point is, ZO’s SmartVektor technology delivers what others can’t, and in an incredibly affordable package, especially considering the quality and performance of the hardware contained inside.  Let me put it this way, would you rather have a Ferrari that drives like a Kia? Or a Kia that drives like a Ferrari?

Btw, the E11 is NOT aluminum. It is tin and plastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back