digiZoid ZO1 / ZO2.3 Portable Headphone Amp Review
Jul 4, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #31 of 88
I sent a message to Mike yesterday about ZO, the guy who wrote the sub-$100 comparision of some of the most popular amps at headfonia http://www.headfonia.com/q-a/

So hopefully he's got one for a review soon, this guy's very respected and got very extensive experience with both headphones as well as amps. Sometimes I can't help but feel like I'm working as a marketing employee for DigiZoid for free of charge. :D

Jul 4, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #33 of 88
Try http://www.digizoid.com/contact/

They may have a few imperfect samples, I got mine for $79 + shipping due to a very very small blemish that's hard to even see. Shipping+handling was $14.95 in my case but that's cuz I'm from europe so wasn't too bad. :p

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #34 of 88

Quote:
Finally ? I think its safe to say that there has been a run on the ZO - when I emailed them, all they had left were factory seconds !

Well I mean we had the review by Project86... and that was it. The thread got revieved after a few months and then slowly but surely it picked up. A few months ago this thing was nothing to Head-Fi, but now it has caught fire. It deserves it though.

Jul 21, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #38 of 88
^that would certainly not point to me.
hehehe.
just a thought for those who are worried to try this great thing.
to clear things up: the ZO is NOT only a BASS enhancement.

Jul 21, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #39 of 88
Guys, I have to play Devil's Advocate here - if the ZO cost $300+, would you still be so enamoured ? I'm not casting aspersions on the sound, but I vividly recall the initial reaction to the uDAC ....... 

Jul 21, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #40 of 88

Quote:
Guys, I have to play Devil's Advocate here - if the ZO cost $300+, would you still be so enamoured ? I'm not casting aspersions on the sound, but I vividly recall the initial reaction to the uDAC ....... 

Of course the price plays a great role of how good you percieve a product but price isn't always a good reflection over satisfaction (sometimes a $50 product can satisfy more than a $200 due to products sounding differently and we all have our own prefers how it should sound like). I'm not sure how much I'd pay for it or if I'd rather get this over the Headstage Arrow 12HE amp for example (I take this as an example because it's quite similar product and highly regarded around here). What makes it so difficult to price it though is that it's differently implemented than a normal amp. A normal amp doesn't bring as much change to forwardness of the whole frequency response range or the dynamic range while an amp like Headstage Arrow for example might have handpicked higher quality components, it doesn't necessarily have to be that Arrow would satisfy you more if you happen to like the change the ZO adds to the sound signature. Now every1 might not even concider the change (read improvement) the ZO adds as an improvement. I personally bought the ZO exactly because of the change in sound signature, I know from experience that I enjoy a very forward/dynamic sound (I want music to be thrown in my face even if I listen to a ballad, that's what personally like and yes I even find that relaxing) and since I've had experience of how it starts sounding like if you add up to like 10dB boost on the whole range (yes volume matching is critical for comparision's sake and that's taken into account) on a good DSP hardware EQ (which can handle that without distorting) I knew I would like the ZO and my expectations really matched the result I heard very well.

If I was forced to say how much I'd be willing to pay as an absolute max (hopefully no DigiZoid reps reads this as I don't wish to see any price hike of course :p) I'd pay at least up to $199 / 149 EUR. In terms of satisfaction such price figure would be a better reflection over it than the $79 I paid for my slightly imperfect sample with a small blemish on it which for how satisfied I am with it I concider it as a steal.

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #41 of 88
Fair enough - I also remember the cries of dismay when Nick Leckerton put the price of the uHA-4 by a (gasp !) whole 20 dollars - some who had sat on the sidelines were beside themselves with grief at this unforseen development  :wink:

Sep 9, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #42 of 88
Great review, Wizard!  I'm glad you finally got it--I don't think I've ever spoken to you before, but you've got the basshead thing pretty much on lock, so you've influenced several of my purchases.  Mine finally came in today--I'm in Afghanistan, and sadly it got redirected several times on the way here; it took over a month.  I haven't even plugged it in yet, cuz I don't have the 3.5mm connector for my PRO900 with me.  I can't wait!!

I plan on reviewing it myself later this afternoon/early tomorrow.  Do you mind if i reference your review in mine?

edit:  I just realized how long this thread has been dead.  My apologies for the revival.

Sep 9, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #43 of 88
Quote:

If I was forced to say how much I'd be willing to pay as an absolute max (hopefully no DigiZoid reps reads this as I don't wish to see any price hike of course :p) I'd pay at least up to $199 / 149 EUR. In terms of satisfaction such price figure would be a better reflection over it than the $79 I paid for my slightly imperfect sample with a small blemish on it which for how satisfied I am with it I concider it as a steal.

I would agree with that price point, provided that there was an equal improvement in build quality.  It's not shoddy by any means, but it just doesn't have the level of fit-and-finish I would expect of a $200 amp.  At the $100 price point, though, I find it kind of charming...It's like a device that was designed by engineers to demonstrate an awesome new technology, and it was so well received they decided to throw it into production. 

Also, to whoever was looking for one, email info@digizoid.com.  I got the last unopened sample they had, but like Wizard said, they may have a few opened models laying around still.  Cindy is their rep's name, and she's exceedingly helpful and customer focused.  She spent an inordinate amount of time helping me out when I thought my ZO had been stolen in the mail.

Sep 9, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #44 of 88
^, No, I asked them last week if they had any 2nds / refurbished units and they have none to sell.  Have to find on used or wait for V2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back