digiZoid ZO1 / ZO2.3 Portable Headphone Amp Review
Jun 18, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #16 of 88

Quote:
You got the ZO for the XB? Is the bass not enough?

No, if you read the review I got it for the technique they used in it, even using the flat setting that doesn't boost the bass the whole range is "boosted" by the same amount. Seeing how I liked boosting the whole curve on my hardware EQ and this looked like using similar technique I knew I had to get this as I'd call myself a "forward" sound enthusiast (ofc basshead as well) but the bass boost wasn't what I had in mind when getting this device as I could already get more than enough bass out of my hardware EQ. I had basicly already heard what kind of sound characteristic benefits this technique brings so I knew I'd like this ZO even before trying it. It's good to get it confirmed what I thought it would bring was correct though and further strengthen my points about this EQ technique I use that goes against typical audiophile beliefs is actually something that sounds great to me on a subjective level at least, the problem is that there exists almost no good enough EQs for this capability than what I use it seems but ZO does this as well, only you can't tune how much you can bring the whole range "forward".

Jun 18, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #17 of 88

Quote:

No, if you read the review I got it for the technique they used in it, even using the flat setting that doesn't boost the bass the whole range is "boosted" by the same amount. Seeing how I liked boosting the whole curve on my hardware EQ and this looked like using similar technique I knew I had to get this as I'd call myself a "forward" sound enthusiast (ofc basshead as well) but the bass boost wasn't what I had in mind when getting this device as I could already get more than enough bass out of my hardware EQ. I had basicly already heard what kind of sound characteristic benefits this technique brings so I knew I'd like this ZO even before trying it. It's good to get it confirmed what I thought it would bring was correct though and further strengthen my points about this EQ technique I use that goes against typical audiophile beliefs is actually something that sounds great to me on a subjective level at least.

I see, I too loved the same kind of sound only a week back, but I've moved onto something better
wink.gif

Jun 18, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #21 of 88
Some nice solid reviews around from respected members and other site, I will buy one but going to wait for v2 since i'm sure it will be a whole lot better with volume control and no popping sound when started.   

Jun 19, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #22 of 88

Quote:
Some nice solid reviews around from respected members and other site, I will buy one but going to wait for v2 since i'm sure it will be a whole lot better with volume control and no popping sound when started.   

Do you know when the V2 is arriving? I'm about to order one of these to try it out but if V2 is coming soon I'll wait.

Jun 19, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #23 of 88

Quote:
Do you know when the V2 is arriving? I'm about to order one of these to try it out but if V2 is coming soon I'll wait.

If I remember correctly sometimes this fall, September/October possibly that was the targeted goal. I might pick up v2 as well depending on what has been changed. I'm not in a huge need of a volume control (and if it results in channel imbalance I would not prefer having it) but I wouldn't either say no to more tweakable contour levels and hopefully some other improvements but as it's already a great product that is clearly worth the asking price anyway so I won't be rushing after one but will take my time and wait for reviews and then see what I decide to do unless DigiZoid would kindly lend me a slightly imperfect sample with perhaps some tiny blemishes for a review. :p 

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #24 of 88
If it was October i'd probably just order one, but then in the other thread I saw this ...

"I can't give you guys a finalized date for when it will be completed and ready for purchase, but we're pushing for sometime in August"

August is not that far off, so that was my reasoning for holding out until v2 is released. 

Jun 20, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #25 of 88
Yea my bad, still be prepared there's always the possibility it doesn't meet the targeted timeframe.

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #26 of 88
Any need/desire for burn-in?  It seemed good out of the box to me yesterday when it arrived.

FWIW, it is almost the same size and weight of the iBasso T4 it is probably going to replace.

Jun 22, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #27 of 88

Quote:
Any need/desire for burn-in?  It seemed good out of the box to me yesterday when it arrived.

FWIW, it is almost the same size and weight of the iBasso T4 it is probably going to replace.

Well I never "burn-in" any product I buy, I start using them immediatly and let them burn-in while I use them (I admire some people's patience that might even burn-in a headphone even 100hrs+ before first use though, I could never manage that) . It sounded indeed great out of box. Amps shouldn't change anything with burn-in either, well to a much less extent if so. 

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #28 of 88
LOL, this was a weird experience, I tried boosting the bass slightly on the ZO device listening to this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FonmhUBsXOY&hd=1 on my XB500 and at 0:32 when the ~20Hz bass note kicks in it felt like the headphone would jump around on my head almost while tickling my ears a bit and at 0:40 - 0:42 when the bassnote peaks into a higher bass frequency I felt a bit dizzy and my vision weren't straight, it was like it would be slanting a little like I was about to faint or something (luckily I sit in a chair :p). My volume wasn't even set any high at all, no it was very average at best in fear of breaking the drivers from lowbass frequency overload.

Can you imagine something like this happening with a HEADPHONE? :xf_eek: Sure I'm quite a bit tired right now so that may have to do with it too but still. Soon DigiZoid will have to put on a warning sticker "the following device may cause you to faint from bass overload, use with caution!" xD

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #29 of 88

Quote:
LOL, this was a weird experience, I tried boosting the bass slightly on the ZO device listening to this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FonmhUBsXOY&hd=1 on my XB500 and at 0:32 when the ~20Hz bass note kicks in it felt like the headphone would jump around on my head almost while tickling my ears a bit and at 0:40 - 0:42 when the bassnote peaks into a higher bass frequency I felt a bit dizzy and my vision weren't straight, it was like it would be slanting a little like I was about to faint or something (luckily I sit in a chair :p). My volume wasn't even set any high at all, no it was very average at best in fear of breaking the drivers from lowbass frequency overload.

Can you imagine something like this happening with a HEADPHONE? :xf_eek: Sure I'm quite a bit tired right now so that may have to do with it too but still. Soon DigiZoid will have to put on a warning sticker "the following device may cause you to faint from bass overload, use with caution!" xD

That's definitely healthy. Imagine using it on the go and passing out in the streets
cool.gif

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #30 of 88

Quote:
Love the review. Finally this product gets the attention it really deserves. Any basshead needs this thing to get the most out of their headphones.

Finally ? I think its safe to say that there has been a run on the ZO - when I emailed them, all they had left were factory seconds !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back