Difference between SQ of Phiaton MS300 and MS400
Apr 1, 2011 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

uzy123

New Head-Fier
Im pretty much a newbie this stuff and initially wanted to get a pair of Dr Dre HD Solos until I did some reasearch and found this forum.

I have done some searching on the forum and have not found what the difference is between the MS300 and MS400. I wanted to go for the MS300 since they are cheaper and are smaller as I want to use the headphones while on the move, I was ideally looking for a set that is bass heavy as I listen only to hip hop (none of that new commercial rubbish lol) and I wanted something that looks pretty good which the phiaton's do.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for headphones good with hip hop which fall into the same sort of price range as the MS400's

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #2 of 14
The MS400 are really not that large.  There is a great comparison thread that Armaegis wrote that you could search for.

For what it's worth, the MS400 are pretty awesome portables.

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 14
The MS300 is not a hip hop can. It's not that bassy.

According to Armaegis the MS400 is basically a bassier MS300. But there were a few more finer detail changes between the two. Can't really say more best to look up Amraegis.

Apr 1, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 14
Ah ha I have read a review by ljokerl which is what made me consider the MS400's in the first place. If the MS400s are not a hip hop can what would be a hip hop can? Im guessing the Sony XB700 are to be considered due to thier ability to reproduce bass but the problem with these is they have huge ear cups and I want my headphones to be portable.

Would the Sennheiser HD 238 be any good for hip hop they seem to look on the small side

Apr 1, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
Ah ha I have read a review by ljokerl which is what made me consider the MS400's in the first place. If the MS400s are not a hip hop can what would be a hip hop can? Im guessing the Sony XB700 are to be considered due to thier ability to reproduce bass but the problem with these is they have huge ear cups and I want my headphones to be portable.

Would the Sennheiser HD 238 be any good for hip hop they seem to look on the small side

I think you'll need an amp to get the senn hd 238's full potential, which is including more bass.

Anyways, I think the Denon AH-1100 is a p good choice for you, I heard it was quite bassy, and on the same level as the XB500s :D

Oh yeah, the Denons are also quite small and portable!

Apr 1, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
They seem like a nice pair of headphones and they are withing my budget, do you know if they will work well with hip hop

They work very well with hip-hop, because of the bass quantity.

Apr 2, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #8 of 14

Quote:

Anyways, I think the Denon AH-1100 is a p good choice for you, I heard it was quite bassy, and on the same level as the XB500s :D

D1100 aren't on the same level of bass output as XB500, they have similar amount of punchy mid/upper bass but in deep bass it's a HUGE difference, the D1100's bass extends poorly, they don't have a lot of deep rumbling bass, the mid/upper bass is many times more present than deep bass. The D1100's bass is much tighter and XB500's sounds much fullier, perhaps bloated for some1 who prefers tight/punchy bass, hiphop is the kind of music which focuses more on the deep rumbling slow bass that fits with subwoofers, not so much on mid/upper bass punch.

IE. D1100 doesn't have a lot of presence in this kind of bass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cweQXrL9FU but hits very hard with bass like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMg5cQd5f50 or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-5dch07V9E

Apr 2, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #9 of 14

Quote:

I didn't say anything about the MS400. I specifically said the MS300 and I'd like to make it clear that I have not heard the MS400.

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
D1100 aren't on the same level of bass output as XB500, they have similar amount of punchy mid/upper bass but in deep bass it's a HUGE difference, the D1100's bass extends poorly, they don't have a lot of deep rumbling bass, the mid/upper bass is many times more present than deep bass. The D1100's bass is much tighter and XB500's sounds much fullier, perhaps bloated for some1 who prefers tight/punchy bass, hiphop is the kind of music which focuses more on the deep rumbling slow bass that fits with subwoofers, not so much on mid/upper bass punch.

IE. D1100 doesn't have a lot of presence in this kind of bass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cweQXrL9FU but hits very hard with bass like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMg5cQd5f50 or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-5dch07V9E

Ah that makes it very clear thankyou, altough now after a bit of reasearch I like the look of the V-Moda Crossfade LP, the Nero's look very nice indeed and realy fit my price range

Apr 2, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #11 of 14

Ah that makes it very clear thankyou, altough now after a bit of reasearch I like the look of the V-Moda Crossfade LP, the Nero's look very nice indeed and realy fit my price range

The Crossfade's been a can I've been interested in for a while now. I'm just careful because of some feedback I heard regarding the quality of it's sound, but its definitely a bassy can by all accounts. Should be good for your purposes.

I also would like to bring to your attention the Beats Solo HD which are also small, foldable and bassy without sounding "too horrible" by this community's standards (they are reviled here anyway)

Let us know how it goes!

Apr 2, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:

srry, i meant to say similar level of bass to the xb500

Apr 3, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #13 of 14
This thread might be of some help to you, actually. It compares the MS400, B&W P5, Monster Beats Solo, V-Moda Crossfade, Sony XB700, and HD 25-1.

This is another thread that could help. It compares the MS300, MS400, and the PS500.

Hope that helps!

Personally, I had a ton of trouble picking out a pair of headphones, myself. I ended up getting the 750DJs first, loved them but found them uncomfortable for longer periods of time and not very portable. Got a pair of MS400s for portability and comfort. Love them even more (oh so comfortable), though the soundstage is smaller. For comparison, because they were recommended so much, when the price dropped on Amazon for the M50s, I got a pair. They pretty much go unused. While they're more comfortable than the 750DJ, I prefer the sound on the 750DJ (better bass, more clear, at least to me, but I hear that's a personal preference thing). If I could stuff the innards of the 750DJ into the body of the M50, I'd be quite happy. But instead, I continue to use the MS400s most of the time, followed by the 750DJ. 

Of course, if I *really* want comfortable, I pop on the XB500 I picked up through a sale combined with a rewards gift certificate for a final price of $14. EQ'ed using RPGWizard's eq that he's posted a few times, they're great fun. And SO COMFORTABLE. It's like I'm getting a wonderful head-hug. But they really aren't that portable. Plus, while I like them for DnB, trance, hardstyle, and other electronica, that's pretty much all I use them for.

Apr 3, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #14 of 14
I have done a hell of alot of reasearch for a purchase of headphones and have now decided to definatly buy a set of Phiaton MS 400 the only problem now is that they are very much overpriced in the UK and have found a good deal through an ebay seller located in the USA. The cost including delivery would be $245 my new questions is will this be ok to buy i.e will the warranty etc be ok and wouldnt mean diffiiculties would occur if anything did go wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back