Did you spend more money on your headphones or your source
Feb 27, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #16 of 33
Ah, yeah. I think that's a little confusing though, because by that merit I spent zero dollars on my source, since I'm not using an amp. :p

I don't think the OP knows what a source is but anyway for me I spent about the same.

Feb 28, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #17 of 33
In most cases for me, the headphone is the more expensive half of the chain, since the source is an X-Fi Titanium HD I only paid around $90 for and my current cans were in the $140-150 range.

There was one particular exception to the rule:
Stax SR-Lambda: $320
Stax SRM-T1: $400

That's par for the course with non-flagship electrostatics, if you don't want to take the transformer box + speaker amp approach. A direct-drive amp like the SRM-1/Mk2 Pro or SRM-T1 will often sell in the $350-550 range, hence why I consider the amp requirements to be the main barrier to entry for 'stats.

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #18 of 33
Like I said before, I think it's the case for most audio situations. Look at car audio. The cost of the speakers, enclosures, and amps is always more than the head unit. In a lot of ways, the source has the easiest job: just pass the little 1s and 0s along. 

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #19 of 33
  Like I said before, I think it's the case for most audio situations. Look at car audio. The cost of the speakers, enclosures, and amps is always more than the head unit. In a lot of ways, the source has the easiest job: just pass the little 1s and 0s along. 

Not so easy for me: I use a phonograph on the passenger's seat. 
cool.gif

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #20 of 33
I am fairly new to the hobby and so far, I have definitely put more money into the headphones, as opposed to the source. I think when you are getting started, the headphones are the most "visible" part of the system and the most exciting to spend money on. Then, as you continue to learn more about the importance of the DAC/Amp/Files/Cables, etc. those things begin to take on a life of their own and become much more interesting.

Feb 28, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #21 of 33
  I am fairly new to the hobby and so far, I have definitely put more money into the headphones, as opposed to the source. I think when you are getting started, the headphones are the most "visible" part of the system and the most exciting to spend money on. Then, as you continue to learn more about the importance of the DAC/Amp/Files/Cables, etc. those things begin to take on a life of their own and become much more interesting.

Very true, I know for myself, I didn't buy a dedicated DAC until last year and I got into headphones back in 2001.  I used an Audigy2 ZS Platinum as my DAC forever.  In fact I didn't buy an amp until ~2008.

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #22 of 33
Like I said before, I think it's the case for most audio situations. Look at car audio. The cost of the speakers, enclosures...is always more than the head unit.

If you DIY the cost of speakers drops by a factor of 5X to 20X.

5X to 10X being the usual cost of parts to price you pay.

But that's for another forum...

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #23 of 33
If you DIY the cost of speakers drops by a factor of 5X to 20X.

5X to 10X being the usual cost of parts to price you pay.

But that's for another forum...

o_O

Where in the world are you shopping? I'll admit that buying at a shop and having them install it can add a couple hundred bucks, but uh... unless you're having them do a full gigantic custom fiberglass rebuild of your interior it shouldn't be anything NEARLY that pronounced. 

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #24 of 33
I think what tends to happen is... You buy an expensive headphone first and then easily spend more on amps trying to find perfection.

But to answer the OP's original question. Yup my most expensive hp cost more than my most expensive component.   

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #26 of 33

o_O

Where in the world are you shopping? I'll admit that buying at a shop and having them install it can add a couple hundred bucks, but uh... unless you're having them do a full gigantic custom fiberglass rebuild of your interior it shouldn't be anything NEARLY that pronounced. 

This is a little off topic but I think marone was not exaggerating much. From my experience it is easily possible to get five times more value for money when DIYing speakers compared to buying from a shop. You seem to be talking mostly from your experience with car audio which, IMO has very little to do with hifi. Of course it does not make any sense to spend large sums on a audiophile source component for inside a car! Personally I spent 600euros on my DIY speakers and about the same on my DAC/USB-SPDIF converter combo, then I have a record player setup which costs more than what I spent on the speakers. I have upgraded my record player gradually and with every upgrade things sound better, thus I know the speakers are keeping up...

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #30 of 33
o_O

That's normal in speakers bought at retail. Pick any brand, lofi to audiophile.

The drivers in the box, and the crossover, cost 1/5th to 1/10th the price you pay.

The issue is that the cabinets require high woodworking skills and designing a speaker with the compromises that must be made, are two skills that are not easy master.

But as an example you can purchase a $1000 pair of speakers at retail with $150 worth of parts or you can buy 2 X $500 top of the line drivers and make your own box. Those $500 drivers usually being installed inside $15,000+ speaker systems.

Yes, that means that your boombox has, at most, $5 of speaker driver parts inside.

Again, this is for other fora and usually DIY talk on sites with heavy industry ad funding is a no-no.

Moving on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back