Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor?
Sep 1, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #556 of 1,046
  If you consider that the dollar has lost over 95+% of its value since 1900, 1500 is actually closer to 50 dollars of 1900 :D.

$1500 now is around the average after tax salary for two weeks of work in the US. $50 might have been around the average after tax salary for two weeks of work in 1900.

For some billionaires though, making $1500 after tax takes less than a minute.

Sep 1, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #557 of 1,046
Usually they get some form of compensation that is not taxable, so after tax doesn't really apply in these regions
rolleyes.gif

Sep 1, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #558 of 1,046
  I also have the original Orpheus combo and I don't think that the HD800 will be able to match the Orpheus pairing, at least out of the amps that I own.  At the end of the day, the difference is that the HE90 as well as the SR009 are just better headphones.  However, the HD800 get you 80-90% for much cheaper.  I personally am a big fan of the the HD800 and think that they are just as good as the Hifiman HE-1000 if they are driven optimally.

And that is what I have been waiting for. Put your money where your mouth is and come to the Nashville meet and listen to the Teton. I looked up Norcross GA. and well St. Louis is further so I'm def. putting my money where my mouth is. This is also Orpheus out of the hev90 not the DIY T2. 

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #561 of 1,046
  I think Orpheus 2 is just a rich folks object, even the current HD800 is considered better by many then the old Orpheus..
I rather see a new improved version of the HD800 like Beyer is doing with T1!!

I was just thinking about how long someone in a very poor country would need to work to afford a $1600 Sennheiser HD800. Let's assume they earn 30 cents an hour, and luxury goods have a 100% tax on them. So 10,667 hours of work would be needed. The average American works less hours than that over 5 years. 

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #562 of 1,046
Really; what are you meaning by better and in what way?
So have these "many" ever heard or owned an Orpheus? There were as far as we know approximately 330 produced many of with are still located in Europe and Germany.

As has already been stated you can expect the HD800 to be 80% to 90% of the original Orpheus with decent amplification and source
The nearest comparator to the original Orpheus is the current Stax SR-009.

Quote:
  even the current HD800 is considered better by many then the old Orpheus..

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #563 of 1,046

It's not rare to see people say they prefer the HD 800 due to it apparently having more detail, wider sound stage, and maybe better imaging.  As for me, I've never heard the HE90 so I can't say, but I definitely favor electrostatic headphones over all.

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #565 of 1,046
So have these "many" ever heard or owned an Orpheus? There were as far as we know approximately 330 produced many of with are still located in Europe and Germany.

As has already been stated you can expect the HD800 to be 80% to 90% of the original Orpheus with decent amplification and source

Mmm......nope. @complin's post can be quoted.

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #566 of 1,046

Why can't complin's posts be quoted? He def. does not mind quoting us.

It seems to be a bug which some HTML is not properly placed when the his quotes are moved below his text.  I'll file a report.

That being said, PM me a link to a post that doesn't work, and I'll see what I can do. (His latest post should be fine.)

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #567 of 1,046

Quote:
  even the current HD800 is considered better by many then the old Orpheus..

Some may say the Sennheiser HD598 is probably 80% to 90% as good as the HD800. I guess some might say the Sennheiser PX100II is 80% to 90% as good as the HD598. I guess some would say the Soundmagic ES18 at $13 sounds 80% to 90% as good as the PX100II. See where this leads? :)

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #568 of 1,046
I believe one of Sennheisers' aims of the HD800 design was to produce a dynamic headphone which approached the performance of the original Orpheus.

I think Sennheiser have got really close to that aim, and in many aspects it is quite close. Close but IMO not the equal, which given one is a dynamic and the other electrostat that's only to be expected, as the latter will always have advantages over the former.
This is probably why in Europe the HD800 is sold under the "Club Orpheus" banner 

Quote:

It's not rare to see people say they prefer the HD 800 due to it apparently having more detail, wider sound stage, and maybe better imaging.  As for me, I've never heard the HE90 so I can't say, but I definitely favor electrostatic headphones over all.

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #569 of 1,046
  I was just thinking about how long someone in a very poor country would need to work to afford a $1600 Sennheiser HD800. Let's assume they earn 30 cents an hour, and luxury goods have a 100% tax on them. So 10,667 hours of work would be needed. The average American works less hours than that over 5 years. 

Well, 10,667 hours of work would be needed, but only if they're going to spend all those earnings on the Sennheiser and nothing else.  For someone who needs to work for 10,667 in order to earn $1600 (which would be hardly sufficient for the needs of basic daily subsistence), blowing that $1600 on a luxury item such as a headphone is practically guaranteed never to happen, for obvious reasons (beginning with the reason that the concept of "savings" may never come to represent a practical sustainable option for such an individual, let alone the idea of accumulating any kind of "disposable income" for luxury-item purchases)...  I can't help thinking that in order to arrive at a fairer estimate of how many hours a person in that income bracket may really need in order to be able to afford a $1600 pair of cans, you would have to apply a far less generous/forgiving method!  This is not to say that a person in such an income bracket in such a poor country can never own a Sennheiser HD 800 in the real world...  Of course they can, but in order to make that acquisition, they would have to resort to means that are different from (and have nothing to do with) those that they rely on for their usual annual income  
smile.gif

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #570 of 1,046
I like headphones, but cmon dude.This type of stuff does nothing more than show me that the rabbit hole goes way deeper than I'm willing to go.

We live during a time where price doesn't always necessarily equate to performance. While I think it's cool that Sennheiser can show that they can push the limits of how far a headphone can go, I think a lot of guys here are right in saying that most top of the line cans can sound just as good if not as good or better than this type of stuff, which honestly comes down to a matter of preference.

This thing might perform phenomenally, but is there such thing as 40k phenomenal? At that price, if I owned it I wouldn't even want to use it out of fear of damaging it LOL.

Don't get me wrong, if I was at a Head-Fi meet and these were there, I would wait in line all day just to say I tried the most expensive headphones on earth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back