Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor?
Aug 31, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #541 of 1,046

So I can not speculate on the new Orpheus but you can tell me that a hd800 connected to anything will not best the Orpheus.

There's a difference between speculation and an informed opinion. n3rdling has one of the most extensive collections of anybody on Head-Fi, and if he says that he hasn't found an HD800 combo that beats the Orpheus, I'm inclined to believe him. He is, after all, one of the few owners of an original HE90/HEV90 system.

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #542 of 1,046
  There's a difference between speculation and an informed opinion. n3rdling has one of the most extensive collections of anybody on Head-Fi, and if he says that he hasn't found an HD800 combo that beats the Orpheus, I'm inclined to believe him. He is, after all, one of the few owners of an original HE90/HEV90 system.

Go ahead and believe him then. I don't trust like that.

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #544 of 1,046

I've heard his system. It's an emotional experience. The speed exceeds a person's ability to detect error in realism. It's not one that anyone could possibly impart onto another faithfully through words. Those headphones express human emotions from music extraordinarily well. All technical talk is thrown out the window. That said, I have no idea what most music sounds on it—only well-produced music that I am very familiar with. It's a beautiful flavor. That's all.

Sep 1, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #545 of 1,046
  Often enough though, a manufacturer makes a very expensive flagship product, then makes a scaled down version of it for perhaps 1/5 or so of the price.

If this comes out at $20K, then it would be interesting to see a scaled down version for $4K. Not that I would buy it at $4K, though.It seems like Sennheiser's headphone prices are getting out of hand. Sennheiser does make some good stuff, however imo  in general Sennheiser's pricing seems to be quite high. 

They do most of the time, there was a baby orpheous too, this can have one. Lets see.

They price everything a bit higher than it deserves. But after some time, prices come down.

Sep 1, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #546 of 1,046

I've heard his system. It's an emotional experience. The speed exceeds a person's ability to detect error in realism. It's not one that anyone could possibly impart onto another faithfully through words. Those headphones express human emotions from music extraordinarily well. All technical talk is thrown out the window. That said, I have no idea what most music sounds on it—only well-produced music that I am very familiar with. It's a beautiful flavor. That's all.

I'm glad you enjoy his setup. That's all.

Sep 1, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #547 of 1,046

I also have the original Orpheus combo and I don't think that the HD800 will be able to match the Orpheus pairing, at least out of the amps that I own.  At the end of the day, the difference is that the HE90 as well as the SR009 are just better headphones.  However, the HD800 get you 80-90% for much cheaper.  I personally am a big fan of the the HD800 and think that they are just as good as the Hifiman HE-1000 if they are driven optimally.

Sep 1, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #548 of 1,046
  $1500 or more for headphones to get decent sound quality??????? Why can't we get nice sounding headphones that sell for $100? Headphones aren't made of gold, and most headphones probably use less than $1 of silver to make.

If you consider that the dollar has lost over 95+% of its value since 1900, 1500 is actually closer to 50 dollars of 1900 :D.

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #549 of 1,046

Have you listened to this new headphone or was it a peep show only
wink.gif
?
I take it that everybody and his grandmother are curious to get some listening impressions and not just 30+ pages of speculation...

If it's asking price is 50% more than the 009s forget it, pure stupid, non real world product that should stay in the 'rejected ideas' tray. It makes no sense. If it is a big ego trip for Senn then that should not be in this forum IMO.

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #550 of 1,046

Wow. Wonderful review of the HE-90 system

Can the new insanely priced Orpheus sound 20,000 USD better than that?

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #551 of 1,046
Well people were saying much the same when the Abyss was launched. Way more expensive than anything else in production and yet many people have been happy to shell out for a set!

Lets judge the product on how it actually performs no matter what the final price is, only then can we make a value judgement.

Lets see how far Sennheiser have been able to push the envelope this time. In 1991 when the original Orpheus was launched it was sensationally good (and still is), a real landmark in what could be achieved.
The only competition around was the original Stax SR-Omega and almost a decade later the Stax SR-007 Mk1. 
Whilst I might swinge at the eventual price, my primary beef is with IMO poor aesthetic design for what is destined to be a costly and iconic product. I was expecting some real eye candy and what we appear have is something that looks more at home is an upmarket bathroom, with gimmicky features like motorised tubes and knobs, what a disappointment.  

Quote:

If it's asking price is 50% more than the 009s forget it, pure stupid, non real world product that should stay in the 'rejected ideas' tray. It makes no sense. If it is a big ego trip for Senn then that should not be in this forum IMO.

Sep 1, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #552 of 1,046

Mmm.......bravo! (standing ovation). If the successor is every bit as good as what you describe the Orpheus to be, then I am sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back