Did I make a mistaking buying the HE-4?
May 22, 2011 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

citrus

New Head-Fier
I just purchased the HE-4/EF5 combo and I was wondering if I should have bought the Sennheiser HD650 instead.. 

If it helps at all, I listen to a very diverse range of music, and I like a relaxed sound that is laid back and non fatiguing. I've heard that the HE-4 is sometimes bright, would this be a problem for me?

May 22, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 13
I've heard it by multiple people, including myself, that the HE-4 is a step above the HD650 in pretty much every way. And pairing it with an amp that was specifically made for it equals something that simply dominates the price bracket and everything below. Although I have heard the HD650 scales incredibly well with thousand dollar amps, but then there price would be far beyond the HE-4 / EF5 combo.

HD650's are incredibly relaxed, laid back, and non fatiguing. That may have been your best bet, but for what your money is worth, you pretty much got the best bang for your buck. The HE-4 is definitely more forward and will have slightly annoying treble at first, but give it and the amp about 50 hours, and it won't bother you a tiny bit. Mines got about 100 hours total including the amp, and it simply doesn't do any music wrong, and has never fatigued me no matter what I listen to. The best purchase I've ever made.

May 22, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
I just purchased the HE-4/EF5 combo and I was wondering if I should have bought the Sennheiser HD650 instead.. 

If it helps at all, I listen to a very diverse range of music, and I like a relaxed sound that is laid back and non fatiguing. I've heard that the HE-4 is sometimes bright, would this be a problem for me?

It really depends, the HE-4s have a very V-shaped sound signature (strong bass, strong highs, recessed mids) - this doesn't work well for all types of music or preferences.  

The HD650 is a lot more reference like, striving for an accurate frequency response, at least in comparison to the HE-4s and DX000s out there.

So if you're looking for a reference like sound you could go with the HE-5LEs which are also a step above the 650s in resolution.  The EF5 will work with the 5LEs but personally I thought the combination was just alright.  I heard the HE4s out of a stock Lyr and didn't like it much, but then again, I don't care much for a V-shaped frequency response.  Don't care much for the Denon series either for the same reason.

May 22, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 13

Having purchase regret without even hearing it yet?

May 22, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
Quote:

Having purchase regret without even hearing it yet?

I tend to react this way whenever I make a big purchase. :3

Thank you for both of your input, Katun and sphinxvc. I suppose I really should wait and give the phones a thorough listen before saying anything more.

May 22, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
I tend to react this way whenever I make a big purchase. :3

Thank you for both of your input, Katun and sphinxvc. I suppose I really should wait and give the phones a thorough listen before saying anything more.

Yes, don't worry until you finally get them to listen.  I think you will be wowed just by the performance of the HE-4s.

May 22, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #8 of 13
This doesn't apply specifically to the headphones you purchased, but hear me out. I recently picked up a pair of Shure SE215s for my first pair of IEMs. I wasn't expecting the sound of an expensive full sized headphone, but I did want something that sounded nice. After making my purchase I read that they are supposed to have pretty noticeably recessed treble, and coming from Grados where I get a lot of treble, I got pretty nervous. When I got the 215s yesterday, I played with them for a bit to find that they did in fact have some recessed treble. Was it a deal breaker? Not in the least. I actually like them a lot, and its good to have a different sound. With burn in the treble might reveal itself more, it may not. Either way I still like them a lot. 

What I am getting at is, there is no point in worrying about something until you actually get it. Even then, if you weren't to like them you could more than likely sell them in the FS section. Who knows, you might find that the highs of the HE-4 sound great. Don't worry about it 
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 13
Yep.  When buying gear, especially more expensive stuff, even after months of research there can still be the, "Ugh, should I have really just ordered those?" feeling.  At least, until the gear shows up.

Quote:
This doesn't apply specifically to the headphones you purchased, but hear me out. I recently picked up a pair of Shure SE215s for my first pair of IEMs. I wasn't expecting the sound of an expensive full sized headphone, but I did want something that sounded nice. After making my purchase I read that they are supposed to have pretty noticeably recessed treble, and coming from Grados where I get a lot of treble, I got pretty nervous. When I got the 215s yesterday, I played with them for a bit to find that they did in fact have some recessed treble. Was it a deal breaker? Not in the least. I actually like them a lot, and its good to have a different sound. With burn in the treble might reveal itself more, it may not. Either way I still like them a lot. 

What I am getting at is, there is no point in worrying about something until you actually get it. Even then, if you weren't to like them you could more than likely sell them in the FS section. Who knows, you might find that the highs of the HE-4 sound great. Don't worry about it 
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
Yep.  When buying gear, especially more expensive stuff, even after months of research there can still be the, "Ugh, should I have really just ordered those?" feeling.  At least, until the gear shows up.

Yeah I already have a plan for gear that I'm gonna buy soonish with graduation money (I haven't even ordered them yet), and I continuously think about whether or not I'm making the right decision. I gotta stay away from reviews for a while I guess. Haha 
bigsmile_face.gif

May 22, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #12 of 13
Haha I guess you're right. Even if you don't like them, you still learned something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back