Did I Damage My Headphones
Sep 8, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #16 of 31
did you by any chance have the power running while cleaning the card lol.  i know it sounds like a dumb question, but that could cause it.  also if you have greasy statically charged hands and touch it, you can ruin it.  what i always do before cleaning/changing parts inside my computer is unplug it, touch the power supply a few times with my hands and then go for it.  also make sure your not running around in your socks on a carpet flooring.

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #17 of 31

Quote:
did you by any chance have the power running while cleaning the card lol.  i know it sounds like a dumb question, but that could cause it.  also if you have greasy statically charged hands and touch it, you can ruin it.  what i always do before cleaning/changing parts inside my computer is unplug it, touch the power supply a few times with my hands and then go for it.  also make sure your not running around in your socks on a carpet flooring.

I am quite experienced with computers so yes, I thoroughly washed my hands and grounded myself and unplugged the power. It seems that the static noise is now much more noticeable, but it is only coming out of the right headphone. Is there anything I can do to fix this, or should I try to RMA the sound card?

Not sure if switching PCI slots would do the trick...

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #18 of 31
you might try switching the PCI slot, i think i remember that some might be faulty, etc.  that'd be a good plan though.  if that doesnt work, im sorry but this is only happening to your sound card when you connect them right?  i kinda got lost in this thread but i remember you having static noise, and now you know its your sound card and your trying to fix it right?  if its a creative, its most likely faulty and you mise well return it for a replacement if you can.  good luck!

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #19 of 31
As a last sanity check, I just plugged in my Shure earphones and same result - static from the right earphone. Therefore, I conclude that the headphones are fine and that it is a problem with the sound card. Will most likely need to replace it under warranty.

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #20 of 31
but did you change PCI slots yet, that would be the last step before returning it, and i would try it too...i cant count the number of times i tried to connect a card in a slot and it wouldnt work at all, then i changed it and it worked perfect.

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #21 of 31
I wonder if there were any new programs or updates you might have installed since the last time it worked well.

I remember you mentioned you swap between PC speakers and headphones.  Did you happen to swap between the jacks frequently?  I'm curious if you did some damage to the jack, though my guess would be something is making contact with the jack or you moved/accidentally messed with the shielding of the jack.  If it continues you might want to consider RMAing for a replacement.  This stuff is all mass produced and Quality Assurance isn't very assuring most of the time.  If it's not going to cost more, it might be better than driving yourself crazy over the static.

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #22 of 31
I think I may have found the solution in the most unlikely place. I was trying to swap PCI express ports and then I decided to give the sound card a try without having the bracket screwed into the back of the case. Surely enough, static is gone. Essentially, the screw which screws the sound card bracket into the case was to blame! No screw, no problem.

What a relief. I never would have considered this...

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #23 of 31
um, your saying that the screw was causing the noise so you kept it out?  pretty wierd.  was it attached all the way?  do you have something to keep the sound card in, like a plate?  i know my computers used to have like a metal plate that kept all the cards flat, but i still used the screws.  maybe there was a screw or something metal touching the sound card itself, that's the only thing i could think of.

Sep 9, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #24 of 31

Quote:
um, your saying that the screw was causing the noise so you kept it out?  pretty wierd.  was it attached all the way?  do you have something to keep the sound card in, like a plate?  i know my computers used to have like a metal plate that kept all the cards flat, but i still used the screws.  maybe there was a screw or something metal touching the sound card itself, that's the only thing i could think of.

It is strange, because it was screwed in for 6 months with no static noise. Everything was fine. I decided to test all of the possibilities before submitting an RMA. It was attached all the way. I stuck a piece of paper under the card bracket so it doesn't hang down. The only reason I used the screw is because the card is held in the large slot with its thin PCI-E connector and hangs down due to its weight. This keeps it propped up.

Sep 9, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #30 of 31

Quote:
lol anytime a metal object is touching the computer boards, its going to cause static or them not to work.  i learned the hard way when a screw was loose in the motherboard and i fried the whole thing

Yes, I know this. However, as I mentioned before, the card was screwed in with the same metal screw for 6 months without any static, so it's strange that it decided to act up now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back