Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jan 12, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #4,966 of 7,332
You need the Superconductor HP cable on Diana if you want to compare apples to apples with AB1266. The Diana stock cable is not the same as the AB1266 stock cable.

The context of my impression is directly against the 1266 TC. Diana TC presents competently across the spectrum.

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Jan 12, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #4,967 of 7,332
You need the Superconductor HP cable on Diana if you want to compare apples to apples with AB1266. The Diana stock cable is not the same as the AB1266 stock cable.
That is the most ridiculous assertion. Don't gimp your ****ing headphone sale from go.

I may have experimented with cable upgrades on Diana if I were to keep her around.

Jan 12, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #4,968 of 7,332
Sorry, should have explained this better. The optional Superconductor upgrade cable is what we used to final tune Diana TC. It's what Joshua Valour used in his assessment. There's a Complete version that was recently added that includes this. You most likely ordered well before this was an option.

Last edited:
ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Jan 12, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #4,969 of 7,332
Sorry, should have explained this better. The optional Superconductor upgrade cable is what we used to final tune Diana TC. It's what Joshua Valour used in his assessment. There's a Complete version that was recently added that includes this. You most likely ordered well before this was an option.
So DTC needs super conductor to compete with stock cabled 1266 TC? Doesn't that make 1266 tge cheaper option?

Edit: makes them the same price. How exactly does DTC + upgrade cable conpaire to stock cable 1266 TC according to yall?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #4,970 of 7,332
Are the pads on the Diana TC much different?

I found with the Diana Phi, you needed to force that air gap, like the 1266, to get adequate bass response. So the pad needed rotating, and it all sat awkwardly.

Feels like making a pad that sits snug, but has a built in gap (if that's still needed) wouldn't be that hard.

Jan 13, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #4,971 of 7,332
Ah. LOL

Sorry. Joshua Valour isn't credible. Someone with the reference points of THX amps, does not differentiate itself or quantify from a cable change.

Will I explore the Diana TC cable changes as I like its sound and ceiling, sure, maybe. Maybe not.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #4,972 of 7,332
Diana jot:

Comfort is great, previously skipping the Diana line, I can see the headband feeling thin and causing discomfort. This is a result of the streamlined design which is sleek, striking and frankly sexy. Weight is felt (in the good way) and clamp is naturally firm and the pads have sufficient depth.
These would be my choice to travel with, without blinking.

The Diana TC isn't a miniature 1266 TC.

The stage is startling smaller (comparable to Utopia, LCD-5, etc) although handles well in space regarding imaging and clarity. Bass response is adequate (more even with softer impact but fair definition) and satisfying but not in the realm of the 1266 TC. Midrange is the contrasting departure where the Diana TC is more favorably presented with a mid forward presentation (not overtly smooth nor shouty) vocals are more natural and feel more real although they're still not complete compared to a Susvara. Treble is perhaps my biggest gripe in they aren't that close to the resolution of the 1266 -- they are quite smooth and technically adequate.

The small form factor compares more favorably to a Stealth or LCD-5.

treble changes sounds like something I would appreciate the change from the original lol

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #4,973 of 7,332
its interesting that what you don't like to the midrange and treble changes sounds like something I would appreciate the change from the original lol
I read that as quite liking the midrange change personally.

Jan 13, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #4,975 of 7,332
The Diana TC is precise and competently resolute, it presents even, it does not WOW.

1266 TC owns the space, engrossing you in a larger, more encompassing stage, bigger, grandeur, more dynamic, more definition, just more substance. And more.

I never realized coming from the DIY T2 and a bunch of stats, at the time, how much the 1266 would bass-first ruin me, it is likewise I am now realizing how much the 1266 staging is further ruining the new FOTM.

Perfectly displays the tempo building, breaking, the speed, the intricacy, the breadth of infinite the 1266 compiles more than any other.

Jan 13, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #4,976 of 7,332
The Diana TC is precise and competently resolute, it presents even, it does not WOW.

1266 TC owns the space, engrossing you in a larger, more encompassing stage, bigger, grandeur, more dynamic, more definition, just more substance. And more.
This is exactly how I describe sus vs 1266 as well

I never realized coming from the DIY T2 and a bunch of stats, at the time, how much the 1266 would bass-first ruin me, it is likewise I am now realizing how much the 1266 staging is further ruining the new FOTM.
I didnt realizer you were ever a stats guy tbh. Mind if I ask what you thought of the T2 vs other high end enegizers (assuming you heard any and didnt just blind buy a T2 to start your stax journey)

Jan 13, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #4,977 of 7,332
This is exactly how I describe sus vs 1266 as well

I didnt realizer you were ever a stats guy tbh. Mind if I ask what you thought of the T2 vs other high end enegizers (assuming you heard any and didnt just blind buy a T2 to start your stax journey)
I've heard all STAX energizers and most of Kevin's designs: KGSSHV, Carbon, KGST, Megatron, BHSE, Grounded Grid, Circlotron, T2 going back through Eddie Current Electra and Cavalli Liquid Lighting. T2 provides a tube stage sweetness and to this day the best and most smooth and resolute treble, it is silly. It just maxes out the electrostats to a place you didn't know they could get. The 009 is not the cooler / colder presentation. It's. just. liquid.

Jan 13, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #4,978 of 7,332
I've heard all STAX energizers and most of Kevin's designs: KGSSHV, Carbon, KGST, Megatron, BHSE, Grounded Grid, Circlotron, T2 going back through Eddie Current Electra and Cavalli Liquid Lighting. T2 provides a tube stage sweetness and to this day the best and most smooth and resolute treble, it is silly. It just maxes out the electrostats to a place you didn't know they could get. The 009 is not the cooler / colder presentation. It's. just. liquid.
You were supose to hate on it so I could write it off instead of just wanting one even more /s

Jan 13, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #4,979 of 7,332
You were supose to hate on it so I could write it off instead of just wanting one even more /s
Those with proficient stat reference know better. Sorry.

Jan 13, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #4,980 of 7,332
Jesus...should not have clicked on this post...my Abyss DP is perfectly fine for me...repeat after me... :beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back