Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jan 11, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #4,937 of 7,376
Might a dumb question, but all I hear is how hard Abyss cans are to "drive". XI Broadway, on low gain mode and I can maybe turn the volume to 3 out of 10 before it's insufferably loud, my iems maybe 0.3 it's just too much juice. I saw commentary on one of Abyss' videos where they say "our headphones work best when you're really driving the amplifier, at ~7 and above". Given that the XI broadway is so heavily recommended this seems a bit of a contradiction.

Should I be having ~70% in reserve using the DTC, I thought it was a very challenging headphone to drive, whatever that really means.

Jan 11, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #4,938 of 7,376
Might a dumb question, but all I hear is how hard Abyss cans are to "drive". XI Broadway, on low gain mode and I can maybe turn the volume to 3 out of 10 before it's insufferably loud, my iems maybe 0.3 it's just too much juice. I saw commentary on one of Abyss' videos where they say "our headphones work best when you're really driving the amplifier, at ~7 and above". Given that the XI broadway is so heavily recommended this seems a bit of a contradiction.

Should I be having ~70% in reserve using the DTC, I thought it was a very challenging headphone to drive, whatever that really means.

You have the Diana which is not as difficult to drive as the 1266 TC.

Other factors go into it as well. How loud someone listens, as well as the output voltage of your DAC.

Jan 11, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #4,939 of 7,376

A few things going on here. First, pot position tells you almost exclusively about gain used (which is largely determined by impedance of the driver). Second, honestly, amps have a crap ton of power now. Basically the only solid state desktop amps I've had that don't have enough juice for diana are from like 2016 or older

Jan 11, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #4,940 of 7,376

From my experience, it’s not about raw power only, but the quality of the implementation to be honest that makes the difference. Again, from experience, the more power you feed it, the better it gets ( not talking about loudness)

Jan 11, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #4,941 of 7,376
most likely has to do with your chain and source feeding a hot signal to the amp because I use the formula s/powerman with the chord dave and do not have such an issue

Jan 11, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #4,942 of 7,376
most likely has to do with your chain and source feeding a hot signal to the amp because I use the formula s/powerman with the chord dave and do not have such an issue
My chain is iMac (Audirvana) > Denafrips ARES II (via USB) > XI Broadway (Balanced XLR) > DTC Balanced 4 Pin.

Any ideas what could cause a "hot signal"?

Jan 11, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #4,943 of 7,376
I cant say but I know that depending on my chain my amps have needed to be turned up more or less

Jan 11, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #4,944 of 7,376
My chain is iMac (Audirvana) > Denafrips ARES II (via USB) > XI Broadway (Balanced XLR) > DTC Balanced 4 Pin.

Any ideas what could cause a "hot signal"?
Ares 2 is 2v RCA and 4V XLR so it shouldn't be a hot signal. I think this is just a case of the Broadway having a fairly high gain pot.

Jan 11, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #4,945 of 7,376
Ares 2 is 2v RCA and 4V XLR so it shouldn't be a hot signal. I think this is just a case of the Broadway having a fairly high gain pot.
Thanks man. It's not a problem, still sounds fantastic I just seemed a bit odd. But it makes sense that a lot of amps are more than powerful enough these days.

Jan 12, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #4,946 of 7,376
Diana jot:

Comfort is great, previously skipping the Diana line, I can see the headband feeling thin and causing discomfort. This is a result of the streamlined design which is sleek, striking and frankly sexy. Weight is felt (in the good way) and clamp is naturally firm and the pads have sufficient depth.
These would be my choice to travel with, without blinking.

The Diana TC isn't a miniature 1266 TC.

The stage is startling smaller (comparable to Utopia, LCD-5, etc) although handles well in space regarding imaging and clarity. Bass response is adequate (more even with softer impact but fair definition) and satisfying but not in the realm of the 1266 TC. Midrange is the contrasting departure where the Diana TC is more favorably presented with a mid forward presentation (not overtly smooth nor shouty) vocals are more natural and feel more real although they're still not complete compared to a Susvara. Treble is perhaps my biggest gripe in they aren't that close to the resolution of the 1266 -- they are quite smooth and technically adequate.

The small form factor compares more favorably to a Stealth or LCD-5.

IMG_20220112_133218.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #4,947 of 7,376
I remember someone posted a very cheap V1 on the classified's I almost bought it but I wasn't sure how big a difference there was between the V1 and the V2 and the V1 and TC.... Any rich reviewers? :3

Jan 12, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #4,948 of 7,376
Diana jot:

Comfort is great, previously skipping the Diana line, I can see the headband feeling thin and causing discomfort. This is a result of the streamlined design which is sleek, striking and frankly sexy. Weight is felt (in the good way) and clamp is naturally firm and the pads have sufficient depth.

The stage is startling smaller (comparable to Utopia, LCD-5, etc) although handles well in space regarding imaging and clarity. Bass response is adequate ( more even with softer impact but fair definition) and satisfying but not in the realm of the 1266 TC. Midrange is the contrasting departure where the Diana TC is more favorably presented with a mid forward presentation (not overtly smooth nor shouty) vocals are more natural and feel more real although they're still not complete compared to a Susvara. Treble is perhaps my biggest gripe in they aren't that close to the resolution of the 1266 -- they are quite smooth and technically adequate.

I was very very surprised, isn't the Diana(at least in some versions) using just a "smaller" whatever that means version of the 1266 driver? I swear I heard them say that on the youtube channel, but I was very surprised the 1266 is 66mm and there is only a 3mm difference to the Diana! Anyway I really love the Huge planars on the Audeze's the bass... but I guess it's one of those LSX vs F136 scenarios where smaller and refined wins(but "cheap" lol and big and dirty is very very fun also in it's own way), that and I still don't know what to think about these as true unrivaled TOTL, I need to get a proper listening session in with these things, I see Josh and DMS praising it as the second coming but IEMboy(Crin) ranking them pretty low as far as technicals go.... I know IEMboy uses wack gear for testing, bcus iems, What is the consensus on where the technical performance lies with just hi-fi (2k range DAC/AMP) sources, and with summit fi 10k+ sources? Are they best/top few not even close, or shooting more for like top 10 spot?

Would love to see Abyss do a 100+mm planar just to see how crazy they can get btw....

Jan 12, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #4,949 of 7,376
Diana jot:

The stage is startling smaller (comparable to Utopia, LCD-5, etc) although handles well in space regarding imaging and clarity. Bass response is adequate (more even with softer impact but fair definition) and satisfying but not in the realm of the 1266 TC. Midrange is the contrasting departure where the Diana TC is more favorably presented with a mid forward presentation (not overtly smooth nor shouty) vocals are more natural and feel more real although they're still not complete compared to a Susvara. Treble is perhaps my biggest gripe in they aren't that close to the resolution of the 1266 -- they are quite smooth and technically adequate.

IMG_20220112_133218.jpg

FWIW, I dont have my DTC in yet (should be here friday!) but Diana V2 stage was greatly affected by fit. By adjusting the pads and head band to allow for a small air gap it was possible to pretty drastically increase stage (still not 1266 level but at least utopia level) and give it a bit more air in the presentation. It may be worth a shot if the stage size you are getting is like IEM levels (which DV2 was IMO when fully sealed)

Jan 12, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #4,950 of 7,376
FWIW, I dont have my DTC in yet (should be here friday!) but Diana V2 stage was greatly affected by fit. By adjusting the pads and head band to allow for a small air gap it was possible to pretty drastically increase stage (still not 1266 level but at least utopia level) and give it a bit more air in the presentation. It may be worth a shot if the stage size you are getting is like IEM levels (which DV2 was IMO when fully sealed)
The context of my impression is directly against the 1266 TC. Diana TC presents competently across the spectrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back