Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jul 21, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #2,206 of 7,356
Being new to Abyss I have been reading and reviewing both this and the AB1266 thread. Very interesting. I have tried several good headphones but I have not been into high end cans for a long time like many on this forum obviously have been. Headphones I have owned; McIntosh MHP1000, Sennhesier HD800S, Mr. Speakers Ether, Focal Clear, Audeze EL8, Audeze LCD-3, KEF M500, Audeze LCD-i4, and I can say without reservation the Diana Phi's are in a whole other league! So far I am thrilled both from the Bryston BHA-1 and my Astell&Kern portable. I also find them very comfortable and have listened to them for several hours at a time. I find that the HD800S and the Ether are on similar comfort level. The Clear's were close but a step behind, again in comfort wise. In sound wise none come close to the Diana Phi!

For me I use them with the band all the way closed and can feel them on top of my head ever so slightly. I decided to order the headband foam thingy that was mentioned earlier in this thread just to be able to open the side slider ever so slightly. We will see.

Very happy to be a part of the Abyss family!

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #2,207 of 7,356
So I just got the Diana V2 as a loan from the Cable Co. I'm just running it out of the 4.4mm Pentaconn port on the iFi Zen DAC, with the iFi iPower x plug (I sold my higher end AMP/DACS like the NAIM DAC V1 and Chord Hugo 2 and various Schitt amps, when I decided to restart my whole system). Anyhow, it sounds awesome. I know it could be clearer and maybe have more extension out of a better amp/dac, but honestly I am really loving it. The Diana loves the bass boost button! These things remain so clean and smooth and still slam pretty good. The bass goes deep down. The treble seems super detailed but not at all fatiguing. Anyhow I am gonna see how the comfort holds up (so far so good), but I think I am sold. Also not in a hurray to upgrade the iFi Zen.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #2,208 of 7,356
Dense Audio Adapt Reference DAC to Oriolus BA300S amp is on the same level as RME ADI 2 Headphone out. This is pretty much the perfect portable combo for the Abyss Diana V2. Much better than the Woo Audio WA11 imo.

Jul 24, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #2,209 of 7,356
Dense Audio Adapt Reference DAC to Oriolus BA300S amp is on the same level as RME ADI 2 Headphone out. This is pretty much the perfect portable combo for the Abyss Diana V2. Much better than the Woo Audio WA11 imo.

My Astell&Kern portable works wonderful all by itself with my Diana Phi's! Good amplifier, great DAC, portable, tons of space for carrying a lot of music!

Jul 24, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #2,211 of 7,356
Jul 24, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #2,212 of 7,356

Really? Better than the WA11? I have heard that the WA11 was the best portable match for the Diana V1/V2. As far as I have been reading, I believe most people think that is the case at least. You know our hobby :darthsmile:

Jul 24, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #2,213 of 7,356
Can you please explain why this combo is better than the WA11?
Really? Better than the WA11? I have heard that the WA11 was the best portable match for the Diana V1/V2. As far as I have been reading, I believe most people think that is the case at least. You know our hobby :darthsmile:

First of all, the DAC in the WA11 is straight up trash. When I first got my Diana V2, I thought it had poor separation and imaging, it was just the WA11 DAC. Diana V2 separation and imaging is superb with RME ADI 2 FS, Dense Audio Adapt Reference, NextDrive Spectra X or pretty much any competently implemented DAC.

Anyways, I suppose this device was never meant to used as a DAC/AMP but mostly as a high end amp.
To which I will link this measurement/review article

All I will say is that whatever is going on in the lower frequencies, is audible on the Diana V2.

I suppose the WA11 is more for people who like pretty gear than actual good sound.

Meanwhile Dense Audio Adapt Reference is on the same level as RME ADI 2 FS as a DAC and the Oriolus BA300S is super transparent(with a hint of richness in the midrange courtesy of the tubes) and no distortion of any kind.

Sometimes I wonder if reviewers are just afraid to talk anything negative of any gear that costs $500+ or are all just deaf.

I suppose in the grand scheme of all DAC/AMPs, WA11 is borderline fine but when you are using super high performance and transparent headphones like the Diana, most flaws are glaringly audible. I would have thought the WA11 was defective but it's the same issues as measured by Amir's unit and it was not suffering from any issues whatsoever(other than the ones mentioned in Amir's review).

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #2,214 of 7,356
Jul 24, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #2,215 of 7,356
Yea I would not be surprised if this gets taken down here as Woo Audio is a sponsor I think.
woo now have my friend's Diana phi, superconductor cable, and wa11 while refuse to get in contact with him, I am pretty it's illegal and also like a hostage situation now :triportsad:

Jul 24, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #2,216 of 7,356
woo now have my friend's Diana phi, superconductor cable, and wa11 while refuse to get in contact with him, I am pretty it's illegal and also like a hostage situation now :triportsad:
Not sure why your friend sent his Diana Phi + Superconductor cable. I am pretty sure they have equipment to test the WA11 and Mike has both Diana and Diana Phi + a Superconductor cable. Even if the cable is not 4.4mm terminated, I am sure they have adapters.

Jul 24, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #2,217 of 7,356
Not sure why your friend sent his Diana Phi + Superconductor cable. I am pretty sure they have equipment to test the WA11 and Mike has both Diana and Diana Phi + a Superconductor cable. Even if the cable is not 4.4mm terminated, I am sure they have adapters.
it's because when he sent the rig to woo he didn't know what causes the issue and jack from woo said he have no clue until he can test out the whole rig

Jul 24, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #2,218 of 7,356
it's because when he sent the rig to woo he didn't know what causes the issue and jack from woo said he have no clue until he can test out the whole rig
Big Y I K E S from me. I will avoid this company like the plague.

Jul 25, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #2,219 of 7,356
A quick update on my Diana V2 trial. The ear comfort of them is great...no complaints. However, I am getting bit of a hotspot on the top of my head. Although, keep in mind I do have a shaved (bald) head. Still I think Abyss should consider a little more padding on the headband. I do think I could easily solve my hot spot problem with an after market pad like the ZMF Pilot. Is it worth the effort? Yes, cause I love love love the sound!

Jul 25, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #2,220 of 7,356
A quick update on my Diana V2 trial. The ear comfort of them is great...no complaints. However, I am getting bit of a hotspot on the top of my head. Although, keep in mind I do have a shaved (bald) head. Still I think Abyss should consider a little more padding on the headband. I do think I could easily solve my hot spot problem with an after market pad like the ZMF Pilot. Is it worth the effort? Yes, cause I love love love the sound!
Just get this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NP9KLDL/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back