Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jul 27, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #2,236 of 7,356
I stand corrected.... The quote was straight from Abyss. But I see you are correct, the AB1266 Phi CC driver is 66mm and the Diana Phi driver is 63mm. Obviously size was the concern here to make the Diana more portable and weight/bulkiness friendly. All I know is they are the best headphones I have ever heard :).
All good. I think most people understand it that way initially. Just wanted to make sure it's the right way for whoever's reading this.
These are the best headphones I've ever heard too :)

Jul 27, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #2,237 of 7,356
I'm trying to decide between the V2 and the Phi and can't seem to decide what would be best for me after reading through the whole thread. Any input from those who've had experience with both would be great. I don't believe I have a way to demo either of them so purchase will be blind.

The goal is to have these be my daily driver and end game for the foreseeable future (for my marriage's sake lol). Youtube, movies, games, and all music from all sources (spotify, tidal included).

Equipment is certainly not top tier at this point (Schiit Hel) but probably will upgrade for this headphone at some point this year while trying to stay under $1000 for Dac and Amp combined. Obviously the price difference between the two headphones isn't small but the percentage difference isn't that massive and I would be willing to save a bit longer if warranted.
I'll try and answer.
For me, the biggest difference is resolution and clarity.
While I found the V2 to sound great and outperformed most things I've heard before (long time HD800/S user, Focal Clear for reference), but they don't wow you. Or me at least. They sound great, have a decent soundstage and are very capable.
The V2 do, in comparison with the Phi at least, sound veiled. I think their mids are slightly recessed, which is one of the reasons they sound more bass heavy than the Phi, but I found them to have equal amounts of bass.
The Phi sounds very clear, everything pops. They were only the second headphones to wow me, and they add a little bit more clarity in the mids and the top end, without sounding harsh.
They are less forgiving with bad recordings.
They will show harshness if it's in the recording (Beth Gibbons of Portishead, for example has a hot 's').
If you ask me objectively, which one to get, I'd say the V2 is the better value. I do think that past ~$2k value decreases significantly but even more so with those two.
If, however money is no object, or you are fine with the expenditure, then I personally prefer the Phi. I'm sure some would disagree :)

Jul 28, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #2,238 of 7,356
I'm trying to decide between the V2 and the Phi and can't seem to decide what would be best for me after reading through the whole thread. Any input from those who've had experience with both would be great. I don't believe I have a way to demo either of them so purchase will be blind.

The goal is to have these be my daily driver and end game for the foreseeable future (for my marriage's sake lol). Youtube, movies, games, and all music from all sources (spotify, tidal included).

Equipment is certainly not top tier at this point (Schiit Hel) but probably will upgrade for this headphone at some point this year while trying to stay under $1000 for Dac and Amp combined. Obviously the price difference between the two headphones isn't small but the percentage difference isn't that massive and I would be willing to save a bit longer if warranted.
I own the big AB1266 Phi (not TC) and wanted a somewhat more forgiving and easier to drive alternative which for me is the V2. The big brother is just too merciless with poor recordings and definitely requires a lot of juice to sound its best. From what I've read the Diana Phi is similar in this respect. It's true that the V2 isn't a "Wow" experience but once you are accustomed to it, it's *very* good.

So if I was in your shoes there would be two possible roads to go:
1. Save up for the Diana Phi and maybe one of the THX AAA amplifiers. Upgrade the amp in a second stage when there are sufficient funds.
2. Get the V2 and a nice inexpensive amp. Right now I'm using an ifi xDSD for vacation and it's fine (the xCAN might be even better). The Chord Hugo 2 is clearly in a different league but also in a whole different price category.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #2,239 of 7,356
The Bryston BHA-1 headphone amplifier is absolutely amazing with my Diana Phi's. My Astell&Kern also do a very nice job for portable use although I do notice that I have to use a tad more volume then I had used with my previous portables the Audeze LCD-i4.

Jul 28, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #2,240 of 7,356
Thank you all for the input. I think I'm leaning towards getting the Phi and getting a THX AAA when funds are available. I do have other headphones to use if I do ever feel like I want something a little more laid back. The Phi sounds like it will give me something that's completely beyond what I've experienced.

Jul 28, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #2,241 of 7,356
Thank you all for the input. I think I'm leaning towards getting the Phi and getting a THX AAA when funds are available. I do have other headphones to use if I do ever feel like I want something a little more laid back. The Phi sounds like it will give me something that's completely beyond what I've experienced.

They do in my experience. Every time I listen to them I am amazed by how good they are, especially so with their size and comfort level. I think they are as close as you can get to the big boys, AB1266 Phi TC and also have true portable capability.

Jul 28, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #2,243 of 7,356
The DiPhi are incredibly versatile phones and can run from portable to high end. I have Susvara, Utopia and HD800 as well and they all do different jobs for me but if I could only keep one pair, it would probably be the DiPhi because they cover everything well.

The DiPhi are currently my only cans, but I have had several which I judge against. I had the McIntosh MHP-1000, Sennheiser HD800S, Mr. Speakers Ether, Focal Clear, Audeze EL-8, Audeze LCD-3, KEF M500, and the Audeze LCD-i4. All offered something unique, but none where in the same league as the Abyss!

Jul 28, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #2,244 of 7,356
I only keep one or 2 at a time and kept the DiPhi. Before I kept the V2.
The V2 is great. Just to be clear.

I'd recommend the RME ADI-2 DAC. It sounds like the Hugo 2 (as in the amp section can drive them properly) but much cheaper (especially used). Not portable though.

Jul 28, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #2,246 of 7,356
Diana Phi vs V2 would be always an endless battle.

For me, I just try to avoid what had happened between me and Focal Utopia. Auditioned them for several times, with multiple set up, and I start to felt sure about acquired them. Then after own it and use it as daily driver for around a month, I start to realise that high technicalities headphone with a little (or much) brightness really not suit my ears. They tires my ears, and I hate the feeling of sore ears.

They're so excellent for short period listening time when we focus our mind to pick smallest detail, notice the cleanest separation, the most accurate instrument placement, etc. However, in reality I don't always do that every time listen to music. There are times I just want to relax, or perhaps while doing something else with headphone on.

Note that I usually listen headphone 3 hours a day, with 60-70 db. Sometimes crank up till 75-80 db at max, for short period like 2-3 songs only. So my ear fatigue not really related with high volume listening session.

Also, I always prefer something tilt slight to darker sound, so that's why V2 suit me better. Personally, tonality and non fatigue feel become much more huge benefit rather than pursuing the tiniest micro detail left in a music.

ofc just my 2 cent :beerchug:

Jul 28, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #2,247 of 7,356
Never heard the Utopia but I do have the Elex which I do not get fatigued from. From what I've seen the Utopia / Elex have a similar FR albeit with different proficiency I'm sure. If my train of thought makes sense, the Phi might be right up my alley from a tonality perspective.

Jul 28, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #2,248 of 7,356
Right now I'm using an ifi xDSD for vacation and it's fine (the xCAN might be even better).

If I may suggest something, the best usage scenario in case of our X range would be to have xDSD only as a DAC, and xCAN only as a balanced headphone amp. Of course assuming that you would want to use two boxes :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 28, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #2,249 of 7,356
I have the Diana Phi and used them a week on an ASUS STX ii with Burson v5i Op-Amps. They sounded amazing together, really.
But I knew I can get far more by upgrading my DAC+Amp, so I bought the RME ADI-2 Pro FS R. Now it sounds perfect to me. Just boosting the bass a little bit for most of the time.

I would not go for the V2, I would go for the DiPhi since it was easy enough to drive them with an ASUS STX ii.

Jul 28, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #2,250 of 7,356
If I may suggest something, the best usage scenario in case of our X range would be to have xDSD only as a DAC, and xCAN only as a balanced headphone amp. Of course assuming that you would want to use two boxes :)
Thanks for the suggestion but two boxes is the catch for me. If I add a wired source that will be three boxes... Will there be a big difference between the xCAN and xDSD with a BT connection? This is with the Diana V2 with 3.5 mm plug.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back