Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jan 26, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #796 of 7,376
Alright, well, it came time to box these back up to go to my dealer...
Then I decided they were too good so I bought them :D

@LeoKane you should be fine with your Hugo2 - I use mine straight from my Lotoo DAP (no external amp) and that handles them well. I plugged them straight into the headphone output of my surface pro tablet yesterday just for poops and giggles and the sound was actually not terrible, but pretty quiet even at full volume.

Jan 27, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #797 of 7,376
I assume you are keeping the 1266? How well do you think the Diana would hold up as a portable for commuting? Since getting the iDSD BL, my ED8 have come back to life. Their isolation, fit/comfort and styling are almost unbeatable in those three things IMO .

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #799 of 7,376
I doubt you will be able to use them for commuting, since the Diana is fully open.
Thanks. That clears things up for me plenty.

Jan 27, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #800 of 7,376
I assume you are keeping the 1266? How well do you think the Diana would hold up as a portable for commuting? Since getting the iDSD BL, my ED8 have come back to life. Their isolation, fit/comfort and styling are almost unbeatable in those three things IMO .

Yeah keeping both for now. They both have their advantages.

I used to have the Edition 8 too, good isolation and easily driven. I personally wouldn't use any open headphone in public spaces. Pretty pointless to the listener and annoying to everyone around them.

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #801 of 7,376
Yeah keeping both for now. They both have their advantages.

I used to have the Edition 8 too, good isolation and easily driven. I personally wouldn't use any open headphone in public spaces. Pretty pointless to the listener and annoying to everyone around them.
If you get the chance, you should give the ED8 a try again if you can pair it up with the BL. The BL does a nice job of tightening everything up, especially the bass. The narrow soundstage was something that took away some of the enjoyment of them but the 3D switch on the BL does a nice job of adding or giving the effect of a wider soundstage without sounding 'fake'.

I often use the BL with my 1266 too. It does a decent job.

So if I would only be able to use the Diana at home, then I think it will become redundant to me. I wouldn't mind getting a more simple cable with a 1/4" for my 1266 for pairing with the BL as I move from place to place in the home including going up to the roof.

Jan 31, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #802 of 7,376

The BL is one of the better mini DAC/AMP combos when it comes to synergy with the Abyss, and i can imagine also with the Diana.
The BL scale also very good with a great streamer feeding it, better than the Hugo 2 / Mojo, vs an average streamer like a Bluesound Node II or Auralic mini for example, this make the extension / soundstage depth and separation sound smaller and muffled.

Feb 3, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #803 of 7,376
The BL is one of the better mini DAC/AMP combos when it comes to synergy with the Abyss, and i can imagine also with the Diana.
The BL scale also very good with a great streamer feeding it, better than the Hugo 2 / Mojo, vs an average streamer like a Bluesound Node II or Auralic mini for example, this make the extension / soundstage depth and separation sound smaller and muffled.
Thanks for your reply. Do you have any comments on how the Abyss would sound off the combination of the BL and the original iTube?

Feb 5, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #804 of 7,376
Thanks for your reply. Do you have any comments on how the Abyss would sound off the combination of the BL and the original iTube?

Yes had that combination, but with the iTube 2 ( it is similar to the org. iTube i had before) and it was great, more attack and gives a refined romantic sound, but it is not that huge impact in difference so i sold it.

Feb 8, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #807 of 7,376
Nice review Beagle (it's up on the front page today). I considered the Diana but the overall depth and opening shape and size of the ear cups might have been an issue for me. As I was already familiar with both the original 1266 and the Phi and had finally got the fit for my head and ears right it was, take the known way for me. I do like the look of Diana and the brown is sumptuous.

I'll bet it's a solid piece of gear as well, pictures never convey the tactile aspects but based on my Phi I'll bet it feels more substantial than it may look look. I'll probably rent one from Cable Company and give a test listen just for fun sometime soon.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #809 of 7,376
For scale: beauty and the beast...

Thanks for those photos, as nice as Diana looks I now know, I'll need a bigger helmet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back