Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Sep 1, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #106 of 7,373
....As-well as having the 009/BHSE, I also have HD-600's which are driven by a Dynalo mk1 I got from Birgir....

Of topic but I will be very very interested to hear your comments about the BHSE+009 combo ( V/s ABYSS).

Indeed i heard the BHSE+009 this WK at CanJam London and... It was a revelation for me : BEST SOUND OF THE SHOW IMO.... By far !
After listening to it I hated my curent set-up that I have loved for 2 years :)

But, I have 2 concerns about this électrostatique combo.

- with such "uber detailed présentation" can't it become fatiging after a long listening cession ? can't such volume of micro details sometime make us analysing our tracks instead of just relax and enjoying our music ?

- I know few people who sold their stax009 for a planar headphone like ABYSS because they were missing some bass with the Stax. At Canjam the démos sounds were not bass oriented so I could not judge if bass were missing or not.

--> Your advice will be welcome since in London I LOVED the BHSE+009, but... many friends tell me that I will be better of with an ABYSS + a TOL headphone amp like VIVA EGOISTA because that at the end, with the Stax, I will, like them, get ... bored !!.

PS: I understand that you owe 2 Headphones at least. Why ? Are there some occasions or musics type where you prefer to not use the stax ?

Sep 1, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #107 of 7,373
Of topic but I will be very very interested to hear your comments about the BHSE+009 combo ( V/s ABYSS).

Indeed i heard the BHSE+009 this WK at CanJam London and... It was a revelation for me : BEST SOUND OF THE SHOW IMO.... By far !
After listening to it I hated my curent set-up that I have loved for 2 years :)

But, I have 2 concerns about this électrostatique combo.

- with such "uber detailed présentation" can't it become fatiging after a long listening cession ? can't such volume of micro details sometime make us analysing our tracks instead of just relax and enjoying our music ?

- I know few people who sold their stax009 for a planar headphone like ABYSS because they were missing some bass with the Stax. At Canjam the démos sounds were not bass oriented so I could not judge if bass were missing or not.

--> Your advice will be welcome since in London I LOVED the BHSE+009, but... many friends tell me that I will be better of with an ABYSS + a TOL headphone amp like VIVA EGOISTA because that at the end, with the Stax, I will, like them, get ... bored !!.

PS: I understand that you owe 2 Headphones at least. Why ? Are there some occasions or musics type where you prefer to not use the stax ?

When I first started listening to the 009's with the BHSE, I was very impressed with what I heard, but after hearing certain songs in my collection, those songs were painful to listen to, in fact they were so painful I was going to sell the 009's.

I then started using the Psvane PH tubes with the BHSE, and those songs that were painful were no longer that way, the problem with the PH tubes was/is their reliability, so by chance I was able to get some original Mullard xf4's and they are even better than the PH's.
But even with the xf4's and PH's, there was still a slight edginess to the SQ, but Julian ( astrostar59 ) helped download Audirvana + onto my MacMini which I use as a music server to my K-01's DAC, and that slight edginess is no longer there, so what I'm now hearing with all the songs in my collection is a wonderful musical experience.

Because I find the BHSE sounds better after an hour warm-up, I use my HD-600/Dynalo mk1 while I wait, however using the K-01, that 600/Dynalo combo still sounds exremely good, so I listen to that combo quite a lot.

in headphones and audio equipment, I'm wanting looks as much as SQ, and I've mentioned what I think of the Abyss's looks several times, so even assuming that Abyss thing sounded better than the 009's, I still wouldn't have one.

P.S. After plucking up courage, I decided to listen to the Abyss at a Hi-Fi show, but because of the outside noise, I couldn't hear it properly, therefore I can't give an opinion between that headphone and the 009's.

Sep 1, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #108 of 7,373
Whaooo this is a lot of work to make the BHSE/009
" Listenable ".

This is disapointing since I thought that I has found the " No question" ultimate solution !

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #111 of 7,373
Sep 2, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #113 of 7,373

What you see here is the outer side only of our upcoming headphone ‘Diana’ machined from a solid block of aluminum. This is a high quality finish requiring lots of CNC machine time to produce each part.

We have 100's of hours of CAD and machine time to get to this point shown due to the need to refine edges and surfaces for precision fit and smooth aesthetics. Hundreds more will be invested in developing just this one main component to it’s final design.

This unibody design is extremely strong and lightweight, and will add near zero coloration to the music. The hole pattern will be tuned to exactly match the behavior of our planar driver.

Note this is an early revision shown, refinements occur on an ongoing basis.. We tweak until there’s nothing left to tweak!

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Sep 3, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #114 of 7,373

What you see here is the outer side only of our upcoming headphone ‘Diana’ machined from a solid block of aluminum. This is a high quality finish requiring lots of CNC machine time to produce each part.

We have 100's of hours of CAD and machine time to get to this point shown due to the need to refine edges and surfaces for precision fit and smooth aesthetics. Hundreds more will be invested in developing just this one main component to it’s final design.

This unibody design is extremely strong and lightweight, and will add near zero coloration to the music. The hole pattern will be tuned to exactly match the behavior of our planar driver.

Note this is an early revision shown, refinements occur on an ongoing basis.. We tweak until there’s nothing left to tweak!

it definitely looks very interesting. thanks for the picture and information regarding the procedure!
regards from Austria.

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #116 of 7,373

So the uni body of Diana is more advanced and resonate dead than the Abyss for example, if can drow any similaritys btw.

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #117 of 7,373
Our current AB-1266 is a dead structure and has minimal coloration, and it's foamed aluminum sides are tuned for the driver. It's also overbuilt to accomplish this.. you could run it over with a Jeep and it will continue to play.

What we are working toward with Diana is to be able to duplicate these functional attributes within a one piece design. This requires much more engineering time, however once done we will have gained experience, the need for less components, lighter weight, easier assembly, and the ability to manufacture the entire assembly in-house.

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Sep 3, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #118 of 7,373
Thats cleaver,
Our current AB-1266 is a dead structure and has minimal coloration, and it's foamed aluminum sides are tuned for the driver. It's also overbuilt to accomplish this.. you could run it over with a Jeep and it will continue to play.

What we are working toward with Diana is to be able to duplicate these functional attributes within a one piece design. This requires much more engineering time, however once done we will have gained experience, the need for less components, lighter weight, easier assembly, and the ability to manufacture the entire assembly in-house.

Thats clever, so the price can get lower, and maintain the audio quality from the Abyss then.

But it is a on-the-ear headphone you are developing if we understad it correctly ?

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #119 of 7,373

I've already asked this question on the second page of this thread: You deliberately renounce magnet bars on the back of the membrane in the interest of minimizing reflections just to add such a perforated plate with about 40% sound permeability and 60% reflectivity? I would have preferred magnet bars instead.

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #120 of 7,373
Thats clever, so the price can get lower, and maintain the audio quality from the Abyss then.

But it is a on-the-ear headphone you are developing if we understad it correctly ?

I wouldn't expect it to sound the same as the AB-1266.

Yes, on-ear, but I get the feeling that those with smaller ears like me may still manage to make it over-ear. (The AB-1266's pads felt so huge!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back