Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Aug 16, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #76 of 7,358
Aug 16, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #77 of 7,358

They can keep it then..

LOL I agree man, I doubt I myself will ever want to shell out the money for headphones in the summit-fi pricerange.  That being said, I still find this stuff fascinating ^_^

Aug 17, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #78 of 7,358
There are only two things I've knocked about the Abyss, which is their looks and getting them to fit properly.

I did say because of the how they look I'd never put them on, but with what's been written about how good they're supposed to sound, I decided to try them when I had the opportunity at a Hi-Fi show, however because of the outside noise at that show I couldn't hear them properly, so was unable to tell if they sounded good or not.
Because I couldn't get them to fit properly, might've made the outside noise more noticeable.

Now some are saying that looks aren't important, and that SQ is the only thing that matters, it's true that SQ is the most important thing, but I wonder how many have a girlfriend or wife that looks like Miss Piggy.

That wasn't aimed at you - if you read through the first few dozen pages of the Abyss thread, it's everyone talking about how good they reckon it won't be because of, whatever reason. And they haven't even tried the thing.  I looked at it, and looked at the price tag and said I'd never buy one.  Then I tried it.  Then I bought one.  I thought I would love the HD800 and almost bought a pair without even trying them.  Then I tried them and hated them.  

Moral of the story is, if you haven't tried something then you shouldn't form an opinion based on guesses.  Again, not specifically aimed at anyone, just a general comment.

Aug 17, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #79 of 7,358

There are only two things I've knocked about the Abyss, which is their looks and getting them to fit properly.

That wasn't aimed at you 

OK, thank you for that mulder01.

Most of what's written here on head-fi, is about how good high-end headphones sound, but I'm a believer that in a headphone system the source is the most important, followed by the amp, then the headphones.

As-well as having the 009/BHSE, I also have HD-600's which are driven by a Dynalo mk1 I got from Birgir, now those HD-600's cost me around £250, but if anyone were to listen to my HD-600's with the source I have along with the dynalo amp, and didn't know how much the HD-600's cost, I wouldn't mind betting they'd think they cost over a £1000, maybe more.

Obviously the Abyss and maybe this new Diana will probably sound better than the HD-600's if used with my source/dynalo, but I'm very happy with how the HD-600's sound.

Aug 20, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #81 of 7,358
Which one is much more comfortable?HD 800 or the little momentum from Sennheiser?400 or 150 gramm?

I have both and actually HD800 is more comfortable. Over-ear is always better than on-ear. Period. And so a larger driver is better then a smaller driver in terms of sound.

Aug 20, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #83 of 7,358

I have both and actually HD800 is more comfortable. Over-ear is always better than on-ear. Period. And so a larger driver is better then a smaller driver in terms of sound.

Yeah um, no to that last part.  I've heard plenty of headphones with 45 or 50mm drivers which sound vastly inferior to certain other similarly-priced headphones with 40mm drivers.  And as mulder01 just pointed out, IEM's are able to achieve awesome sound with absolutely teeny-tiny drivers:

Drivers inside of IEMs can be REALLY small and can get brilliant sound so I'm not entirely sure that's true

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #84 of 7,358

Yeah um, no to that last part.  I've heard plenty of headphones with 45 or 50mm drivers which sound vastly inferior to certain other similarly-priced headphones with 40mm drivers.  And as mulder01 just pointed out, IEM's are able to achieve awesome sound with absolutely teeny-tiny drivers:

Name just ONE top-tier headphone with 40mm driver. I mean - REALLY top-tier, not the "top-tier" from Ultrasone lol.

Drivers inside of IEMs can be REALLY small and can get brilliant sound so I'm not entirely sure that's true

IEMS is the whole differrent story, but if you don't see a diference, well...

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #85 of 7,358
size of driver correlation to sound quality is not consistent as there are other factors that make a larger impact. however, comfort-wise, over-ears with deep earcups will be more comfortable than on-ears on press against the outer ear. The surface area around the ear is less sensitive and has a flat surface to evenly distribute the pressure, so direct pressure on the outer ear will be more noticeable than direct pressure on our skull around our ears.

while an $3k on-ear headphone is certainly different, hard to see the demand for an on-ear instead of an over-ear unless for portable usage while the headphone profile/size is a more relevant factor. If mainly for portable usage, hard to see many people comfortable bringing glitzy $3k headphones around in public.

also, (with no offense meant) @Nomax, have you heard these headphones yet? seems like a lot of gushing positivity on this product from you...

Aug 21, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #86 of 7,358
  size of driver correlation to sound quality is not consistent as there are other factors that make a larger impact. however, comfort-wise, over-ears with deep earcups will be more comfortable than on-ears on press against the outer ear. The surface area around the ear is less sensitive and has a flat surface to evenly distribute the pressure, so direct pressure on the outer ear will be more noticeable than direct pressure on our skull around our ears.

while an $3k on-ear headphone is certainly different, hard to see the demand for an on-ear instead of an over-ear unless for portable usage while the headphone profile/size is a more relevant factor. If mainly for portable usage, hard to see many people comfortable bringing glitzy $3k headphones around in public.

also, (with no offense meant) @Nomax, have you heard these headphones yet? seems like a lot of gushing positivity on this product from you...

There's no way he's heard these headphones yet, they haven't been released even for demo/review purposes.  I think he's just a huge Abyss fanboy, lol.  That's okay though!  By all accounts their first headphone is one of the most amazing pairs of cans in the world :p

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #87 of 7,358
I am super excited for Diana.  The listening experience of Abyss is like no other headphones on the market today.  I trust that JPS Labs will bring us another AMAZINGLY special product.  I can't wait!!!

I'll try to get my paws on one as soon as it goes into retail for unboxing video.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #88 of 7,358
Take a look on September the first on my Avatar Pic LOL

Regards Crazy Nomax

Users who are viewing this thread

Back