Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Aug 14, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #46 of 7,400
I'm sure they wouldn't release something that was horribly uncomfortable and charge $3k for it because they wouldn't sell any - they're not idiots - I reckon you'd be pretty safe to say they will be comfortable. They have proven in the past that they can push the boundaries of what you expect from a pair of headphones.

On a side note, I thought the names of the headphones would be 'JPS Labs Abyss' and 'JPS Labs Diana'. Not Abyss AB1266 and Abyss Diana...

Speaking of which, where's the name "Diana" come from, anyway?  I've read rumors that it is an homage to Princess Diana.  . .PLEASE, for G*d's sake, tell me that isn't true, because IMO that would be INCREDIBLY distasteful.

Aug 14, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #47 of 7,400

Speaking of which, where's the name "Diana" come from, anyway?  I've read rumors that it is an homage to Princess Diana.  . .PLEASE, for G*d's sake, tell me that isn't true, because IMO that would be INCREDIBLY distasteful.

Why distasteful? Was she wearing headphones at the time of her demise?

That reminds me of a Smiths song...

Aug 14, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #48 of 7,400

Why distasteful? Was she wearing headphones at the time of her demise?

That reminds me of a Smiths song...

Because what the heck does a tragically deceased, philanthropic Princess have to do with headphones or a company that makes summit-fi equipment?  Isn't using her name to market how high-end something is, basically just a way of exploting her legacy, and in a way that really doesn't even make any sense, logically speaking?

Aug 14, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #49 of 7,400
"Diana is named after my wife Diane, who was fondly called this by my grandmother. As fate would have it the name appeared one day, and with no objections within the company it was accepted as our next trademark." - Joe

(From http://www.hifiinsider.com/diana-by-jps-labs)

Aug 14, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #50 of 7,400
  Hopefully it will measure better than the AB-1266.

The unit measured at InnerFidelity doesn't measure as well as later units. Either it was a dud or they changed the design of the headphone, because when Tyll heard the Abyss later, he was impressed how much better it sounded than his review unit. He will be measuring a new unit in the future, if he hasn't already.

I'm sure they wouldn't release something that was horribly uncomfortable and charge $3k for it because they wouldn't sell any - they're not idiots - I reckon you'd be pretty safe to say they will be comfortable. They have proven in the past that they can push the boundaries of what you expect from a pair of headphones.

On a side note, I thought the names of the headphones would be 'JPS Labs Abyss' and 'JPS Labs Diana'. Not Abyss AB1266 and Abyss Diana...

This is true. Although the fit of the AB-1266 was tricky for me, it did not feel heavy despite its higher weight.

Joe wants it to be referred to as "Diana, by Abyss", or simply "Diana", instead of "Abyss Diana".

"Diana is named after my wife Diane, who was fondly called this by my grandmother. As fate would have it the name appeared one day, and with no objections within the company it was accepted as our next trademark." - Joe

I remember reading that during my research. ^_^

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #51 of 7,400

Nice to know that not only were the rumors I read unfounded, but that the actual reason for the name, while whismical, is actually a pretty awesome tribute to love :)

Aug 15, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #53 of 7,400
Diana will have Magnet Pads and Unique magnetic headband adjustments, smooth with no clicks, nothing to wear out or break

NOMAX

Aug 15, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #54 of 7,400
Diana will have Magnet Pads and Unique magnetic headband adjustments, smooth with no clicks, nothing to wear out or break

NOMAX

Now THAT is nice :)

Aug 15, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #55 of 7,400
I've got hand it to JPS. First, they make Abyss: very good sound (4/5), unwieldy / uncomfortable, butt ugly, over-priced. Now, Diana: sound (?/5), dumb form factor, gay name, over-priced. They definitely do things their own way, so respect!

Aug 15, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #56 of 7,400

I've sworn off on ear models. Sorry, but this is a pass from me. 

+1. I can do over-ear cans and IEMs, but I find on-ear phones so uncomfortable. I'm sure the phones will sound good. I just don't know if there's a large demand for open-back on-ear phones in that price range. To each his/her own I guess.

Aug 15, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #57 of 7,400
I absolutely adore my Sony MDR-V6 with beyerdynamic DT250 velour pads.  So I'm not against an on-ear headphone at all.

I'm just less than enthused about the prospects on an on-ear planar, of which the one piece of white plastic we see, looks like something off a $10 fashion headphone made to pair with iphones.  I think JPS Labs may have jumped the shark with this pre-launch marketing, and frankly, with the headphones name "Diana".

I'm really struggling to see what their target market for Diana is.  Paris Hilton ?  Who would pay $2799.99 for an on-ear planar ?  Doesn't sound like any of us other than Nomax will.

Oh well, I'm still excited for the closed back Sennheiser HD-801

Aug 15, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #58 of 7,400

NOMAX

That is nice and more and more industries are utilizing magnets in interesting ways.  But still.....an on-ear planar for $2799 ?  i just cant see it.

Aug 15, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #59 of 7,400
  I absolutely adore my Sony MDR-V6 with beyerdynamic DT250 velour pads.  So I'm not against an on-ear headphone at all.

Oh well, I'm still excited for the closed back Sennheiser HD-801

The Sony MDR-V6 is totally around-ear for me. Guess it depends on the size of your ears.

eek.gif
HD 801? Link(s) please!

Aug 15, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #60 of 7,400

The Sony MDR-V6 is totally around-ear for me. Guess it depends on the size of your ears.

eek.gif
HD 801? Link(s) please!

Oh dude you hadn't heard yet about Sennheiser's new closed-back dynamic flagship?  Yeah, I don't have any links about it on-hand, hope someone here does, but by all accounts Senn are really hyping it up as something that's gonna be mind-blowing (and since I love stuff with isolation, something I myself might very well HAVE to get my hands on someday).

And honestly for that guy to have the MDR-V6 serve as on-ears, he must have very large ears.  Maybe he's eight feet tall?  Haha.  Or it might have something to do with the after-market pads he modded them with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back