Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Sep 5, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #5,732 of 7,512
I happily moved onto the Phi (latest iteration) after owning the V2 (perforated pads) for a year. Wider staging and deeper lows.
I bet the TC is a nice upgrade to the Phi but knowing how many revisions happen Id rather get it in the future.

TC and Phi have different signatures while sharing some DNA. Phi is warmer, TC has better extension at both ends and bigger stage but mids get a touch more "clinical". Resolution is about a wash with again a slight advantage to TC.

Sep 5, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #5,733 of 7,512
Congratulations on two almost identical headphones, but it confirms me not to exchange my Diana V1 with the new 2021 pads for a V2.

I wouldn't call them identical but I will only keep one. I love headphones but I am not that crazy (supposedly).

The hybrid has very nice synergy with the Cayin C9 as it gives it a bit more mid bas lunch. That might do it for me.

Sep 5, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #5,734 of 7,512
In my experience with "high-end" headphones, it's always about solving problems, while the HD600 from Sennheiser, for example, isn't really good at anything, you're still grateful and satisfied for its balanced and natural sound. With "high-end" headphones, it's always about delivering the best in a certain discipline, not about convincing as a whole. As a rule, there are parts of the sound that are meh or just stink in comparison to the right. Then problem solving begins. On the one hand, what the headphones can do well, of course, with the appropriate hardware to bring it to the limit, but also to eradicate the properties that the headphones are not good at or adapt to your imagination. With the latter, one then tries to achieve a sound image that comes closest to one's imagination without having a model in reality. You then experiment with amps, dacs, cables. We hear differently, want to achieve different things. In the high-end sector, this is primarily associated with money and less with satisfaction

Sep 6, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #5,735 of 7,512
TC and Phi have different signatures while sharing some DNA. Phi is warmer, TC has better extension at both ends and bigger stage but mids get a touch more "clinical". Resolution is about a wash with again a slight advantage to TC.
I really need to hear the TC next to my Diana.

What were you using to drive the Diana btw?
if you will, the V1, V2, and Phi are a generation that has been tuned a little better or differently with each continuation. The TC, on the other hand, is a whole new driver similar to the LCD 3/X to LCD 4 from Audeze

Yeah, ideally I’d get to listen to all of them side by side especially since some reviews seem to state qualities that I don’t hear in the Diana like the V2s allegedly having better bass but not IME.

Sep 6, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #5,736 of 7,512
My adventure wirh the Dianas got even crazier recently.

As some of you here know, I have been a fan of the Diana Phi for a while now. And recently I (re)acquired a custom red unit that was fitted with a TC driver, making it a Phi/TC hybrid. The main difference is the size of the holes in the housing.

Screenshot_20220905-134535_Gallery.jpg

Sound comparisons to the Diana Phi:

- The hybrid needs more power and sounds more open. The stage is bigger.

- Bass is more sub bass focused, it's also a bit faster. Diana Phi has a bit more mid bass.

- Vocals are clearly more recessed on the hybrid. Not as recessed as the actual TC but the Phi is clearly warmer. Vocals are more "emotional".

- treble seems to extend further on the hybrid and seemed a touch more refined.

Note that the above comps were all done with Diana Phi pads. I am still looking for some V2 pads to test how they change sound (probably more bass).

In short, the hybrid doesn't have the warmth of the Phi anymore but is technically slightly ahead. Both headphones are amazing and are different enough to shine with different types of music.
These are gorgeous. I wish the custom colors weren’t so pricey to produce.

Sep 7, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #5,737 of 7,512
These are gorgeous. I wish the custom colors weren’t so pricey to produce.
You've missed their latest upload. They're offering exotic colors in limited runs at no extra cost.

Sep 7, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #5,738 of 7,512
I really need to hear the TC next to my Diana.

What were you using to drive the Diana btw?

Yeah, ideally I’d get to listen to all of them side by side especially since some reviews seem to state qualities that I don’t hear in the Diana like the V2s allegedly having better bass but not IME.
I think the difference between the Abyss Diana V1 and V2 is that the V2 is slightly warmer tuned. Since I've tried EQ's from the V2 on my V1 and they can be taken over well, this supports my theory, especially since even the new 2021 V2/Phi Pads bring significant improvements to my V1.

Sep 10, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #5,739 of 7,512
I think the difference between the Abyss Diana V1 and V2 is that the V2 is slightly warmer tuned. Since I've tried EQ's from the V2 on my V1 and they can be taken over well, this supports my theory, especially since even the new 2021 V2/Phi Pads bring significant improvements to my V1.
What’s your chain btw?

Sep 10, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #5,740 of 7,512
I’m thinking of getting either the v2 or tc. Does anybody know how these sound with the wa8 tube amp?

Sep 10, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #5,741 of 7,512
The Diana TC Custom Shop is open in the US with the first limited edition.
Check out Purple Haze...
ABYSS Diana Custom Shop

P1002450.jpg

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Sep 10, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #5,743 of 7,512
Topping A90 + SMSL VMV D1se (Cayin RU6 R2R before) running balanced with a moon audio Black Dragon V2 Balanced Cable. From what i hearing is the Singxer SA1 a warmer Amp, did it match better with the Diana?

Yes it is better mach, but A90 still excellent for the price. I think better to saving up for something like Soloist 3XP when you want to upgrade.

Sep 11, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #5,745 of 7,512
Yes it is better mach, but A90 still excellent for the price. I think better to saving up for something like Soloist 3XP when you want to upgrade.

i will give the singxer a chance for 400€

Hope EU gets some love too!
Hope in better colours. Think about the colours of the Coldplay MX Tour in this crazy Neon way. Would love to see something like this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back