DGS100 Appreciation thread. The game changing budget-fi two-way hybrid universal IEM
Sep 26, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #721 of 1,058
I totally agree with the brain burn in that lot of you are referring to. I have never had a headphone which changed a lot after the first few hours which is the time my brain takes to get used to them. In case of the DGS 100 though I am not sure whats happening. I would have thought that its brain burn in but I have been doing an AB comparison against the Altone 200 and the sound signature of the DGS has changed quite significantly IMO. I am a little confused myself. Maybe someone can do a FR graph if they have the setup to do so.

Sep 26, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #722 of 1,058
Checking in after 50 hours and I don't think things have change all that much if at all. These phones have a few issues but one of the biggest ones is the mid bass, which overtakes everything and unbalances the phone terribly. The mid bass bloat, for lack of a better word causes the vocals to sound distant, it causes the singers to sound muffled and it detracts from all the other positives the phone has. There's just so much mid bass I can't see it ever going away with burn in. I'll keep burning these in until the recommended 100 hours but I doubt it'll help. If it doesn't change I'll offer these for others to listen FOC just so I know its not just me. No point in selling these and inflicting someone else the same misery. Sorry if I've offended anyone but these are IMHO

Inspired by your earlier post re Krall and Buble I decided to give a quick listen since they both fall into genres I quite often listen to. Oh dear....  Their voices have become so thin and characterless. Although the worst of the mid-bass excess (seems to have) been tamed on mine, there is still something missing when it comes to vocals. I'm not an experienced enough audiophile to know what, but I can tell something is missing. It just so happens that I have been mostly listening to instrumental pieces recently so I hadn't noticed.

I'm still enjoying these on my commute where the background noise disguises these deficiencies, and where their efficiency relative to the Havis is useful, but I can't see I'll be using them much in other circumstances unless there are more changes to come after 40 hours.

Sep 26, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #723 of 1,058
  Inspired by your earlier post re Krall and Buble I decided to give a quick listen since they both fall into genres I quite often listen to. Oh dear....  Their voices have become so thin and characterless. Although the worst of the mid-bass excess (seems to have) been tamed on mine, there is still something missing when it comes to vocals. I'm not an experienced enough audiophile to know what, but I can tell something is missing. It just so happens that I have been mostly listening to instrumental pieces recently so I hadn't noticed.

I'm still enjoying these on my commute where the background noise disguises these deficiencies, and where their efficiency relative to the Havis is useful, but I can't see I'll be using them much in other circumstances unless there are more changes to come after 40 hours.

Even though I hardly listen to Jazz, its good to know that your phones can belt out some decent vocals should the need arise. I always check the phones with other music I generally don't listen to everyday. I'm no audiophile and by no means experienced with this stuff, I just want to enjoy my music. With vocals you dont need to know what's missing, you just need to know if it sounds natural to you and balanced against the rest of the music. Its also hard if you don't have a reference, its not perfect but the Havis are an OK reference for the vocal stuff

Sep 26, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #724 of 1,058
Kinda lost track of where I am at now. Around 35-40 hours now.

After 4-5 hours of bass heavy music, the midbass has reduced noticeably since.

I whipped out my Tenore (which I admittedly haven't touched in a while) and ABed them closely over a variety of songs. The DGS100 does have more midbass than the Tenore, but to my surprise and somewhat joy, the difference isn't actually too big now.

The Tenore sounds politer overall. The DGS has a way way brighter treble that still borders on offensive, and sounds throaty in comparison as well. It is also a notch more microdetailed, and is more resolving and transparent as well.

The DGS requires more juice to get to the same volume as the Tenore.

Sep 26, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #725 of 1,058
Saying that ALL burn in is either minimal, or in our brains is like saying that all white people can't dance. It's stereotyping.

Both theories are proven wrong by Justin Timberlake and the DGS100 lol

You guys might not end up liking the sound signature, but no one can deny that these don't change radically from out of the box. I have a new (2nd) pair here that proves just how much these change into the pair I have about 100 hours on.

Sep 26, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #726 of 1,058
Saying that ALL burn in is either minimal, or in our brains is like saying that all white people can't dance. It's stereotyping.

You guys might not end up liking the sound signature, but no one can deny that these don't change radically from out of the box. I have a new (2nd) pair here that proves just how much these change into the pair I have about 100 hours on.

I like how significant change due in the burn-in is a concrete fact now

Sep 26, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #727 of 1,058

Like I've said before, I think cheese and beer can also affect one's perception about burn in LOL. 

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #728 of 1,058
Tbf, that's just Hisoundfi's personal opinion and we should just respect that. It's not as if he heard that the DGS100 changes radically after burn in. He's physically got 2 pairs in front of him and compared them before making that statement. I don't see him enforcing his views on anyone either.

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #730 of 1,058
lol arguing about burn-in is pretty pointless.
This has been argued since the beginning of time with no one able to prove the party wrong/convince the other.

I am using the term "burn-in" as term describing mental adaption and physical change at the same time. Doesn't really matter in the end.

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #731 of 1,058
lol arguing about burn-in is pretty pointless.
This has been argued since the beginning of time with no one able to prove the party wrong/convince the other.

I am using the term "burn-in" as term describing mental adaption and physical change at the same time. Doesn't really matter in the end.

Correct. In the end it is how you feel about the HP/IEM.

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #732 of 1,058

LOL, your taking so much heat for believing in burn in :wink: Its all in the head right? Think these are going to need atleast 200 hours+ to get to the final destination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back