Dethonray Pegasus SG1 - BT DAC/Amp Combo
Dec 30, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #601 of 699
The volume of the phone is at maximum. This was also very surprising for me as well. But LG G8 also puts out close to 2 VRMS on High impedance load. SG1 being a dedicated amplifier should be more powerful but not from my experience even though officially it puts out at 2.8 VRMS which should be more than G8.
Me, too, I was surprised how low the output power of the SG1 is, especially for a device of this size and on balanced. It could hardly drive my Oriolus Szalayi (Planar Magnitic Driver). It got better through the latest firmware update though - did you upgrade?

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #603 of 699
No these two products are literal disappointment for me so much that I probably will not spend any money on a dedicated source. Some people were always against that, saying that spending money on sources is waste and you are better off with a cheap dongle as they sound mostly same. But I still went ahead and purchased these two weird amplifiers one of which PA10 was not charging at all with a low power charger even though I have never witnessed anything like this and the other SG1 was literally showing charged with green light on and still not sound and when I used it with the same DT770 PRO 80 it was way underpowered compared to G8. These two actually have made me realized how good G8 really is and how you should not underestimate the old equipment and overestimate the shiny new thing. Anyone who has G8 can compare it with SG1 and confirm that single ended quite powerless compare to G8 and it's low gain is comically low. Should have spent $1000 on headphones. Lesson for others.
1703946104021.png

Maybe your sg1 is in Serenade firmware mode, the output is for high sensitivity IEMs. You could contact DETHONRAY(service@dethonray.com), they will send the other firmware and related tools. I have tested HD600 and T53 before, and the sound is great at the three o'clock position.

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #604 of 699
Me, too, I was surprised how low the output power of the SG1 is, especially for a device of this size and on balanced. It could hardly drive my Oriolus Szalayi (Planar Magnitic Driver). It got better through the latest firmware update though - did you upgrade?
I tried but it will not update. I will give it a try again. But it is definitely underpowered even compared to LG phones and even some cheap dongle DACs. I am not sure if Anson has used any dedicated OP AMPS in this this or not.

Dec 30, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #606 of 699

Maybe your sg1 is in Serenade firmware mode, the output is for high sensitivity IEMs. You could contact DETHONRAY(service@dethonray.com), they will send the other firmware and related tools. I have tested HD600 and T53 before, and the sound is great at the three o'clock position.
I downloaded v2.0 from their website and followed video instructions but it times out while updating the firmware. It keeps saying time out connection failed.

Attachments

• SG1.PNG
    SG1.PNG
    110.6 KB · Views: 0
Dec 30, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #607 of 699
If you need power, the Gold version is the only way to go. It drove the Sundaras and Aryas very nicely but nowhere near as good as the AK pa10.
Honestly $300 dedicated amplifier which has size of compact smartphone should be able to output more power than a phone or $50 dongle dac. Moondrop DAWN pro has 50 percent more than SG1 and I got it for less than $50.

Jan 2, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #608 of 699
Just got my sg1!

First of all, I don't know what's wrong with mine but I had some connectivity issue.

The sound still stops when I fiddle with the volume nob sometimes and I don't know what's going on. It plays now, but this is definatly not the stream lined experience I'm used to.

So I tried to this with several cans from ier z1r, wp900, to the heddphone.

I know that heddphone is not meant to be paired with this, but I was wondering how it compete with the tube amp set up I have. Unfortunately, it does not compete.

Maybe this is because i rolled so many different tubes for the setup I ended up with, but that's probably to no ones surprised.

The biggest surprise however is the difference in sound between firmware version.

The oldest version of raphsody sounds significantly better off of all three version.

The newer ones sound closer to serenade than rhapsody.

I really don't like zeos' review but I have to agree on this one.

However, the older version really mess up with the volume nob.

It becomes sooo sensitive that it's unusable. Additionally, if you change the volume often via nob, the dac freezes. I have to use the digital volume adjustment in my phone to use it with the old firmware, which is not ideal.

Regarding the measurement, I really don't care because, heck, I like my tube amp. I like v shape sounds. I love distortion as long as it sounds good to me
Hi can you tell me which rhapsody firmware version sounds the best?

Jan 3, 2024 at 5:37 AM Post #609 of 699
Honestly $300 dedicated amplifier which has size of compact smartphone should be able to output more power than a phone or $50 dongle dac. Moondrop DAWN pro has 50 percent more than SG1 and I got it for less than $50.

You seem to be fixated on maximum listening volume compared to your phone as the measure of a device’s worth which I think is largely missing the point.

Jan 3, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #610 of 699
You seem to be fixated on maximum listening volume compared to your phone as the measure of a device’s worth which I think is largely missing the point.
That is because it cannot drive some of the headphones I have. If it cannot drive them no matter how good it sounds it is redundant. I would not have bothered if it was at least driving 80 Ohms DT770 Pro properly. I know you cannot expect it to drive planar magnetic or other 600 Ohms but even a generic 80 Ohm headphone is too much for it.

Jan 3, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #611 of 699
That is because it cannot drive some of the headphones I have. If it cannot drive them no matter how good it sounds it is redundant. I would not have bothered if it was at least driving 80 Ohms DT770 Pro properly. I know you cannot expect it to drive planar magnetic or other 600 Ohms but even a generic 80 Ohm headphone is too much for it.

Sure, but perhaps all that means is you chose the wrong DAC/Amp not that the device is generally poor. For a starter buying a small portable device with essentially balanced design to drive full size headphones from its less powerful single ended output makes no sense to me.

Buy yourself an iFi Diablo, you won’t be short of volume.

Jan 3, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #612 of 699
Sure, but perhaps all that means is you chose the wrong DAC/Amp not that the device is generally poor. For a starter buying a small portable device with essentially balanced design to drive full size headphones from its less powerful single ended output makes no sense to me.

Buy yourself an iFi Diablo, you won’t be short of volume.
You mean it is too much to ask for $300 dedicated amplifier to drive an 80 Ohm headphone which can be perfectly driven by a 6 year old discontinued smartphone which only has single ended output.

Jan 3, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #613 of 699
The standard version of the sg1 is designed for iems and very efficient full sized DD's. The Gold version is way more powerful and it drove the Sundaras quite nicely. But still, it isnt a typical powerful portable amp, its something like a DAP but without screen. If you want something portable but very powerful, the IFI Diablo 2 would be the way to go. Someone just made a poor choices doing his shoppings.

Jan 3, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #614 of 699
The standard version of the sg1 is designed for iems and very efficient full sized DD's. The Gold version is way more powerful and it drove the Sundaras quite nicely. But still, it isnt a typical powerful portable amp, its something like a DAP but without screen. If you want something portable but very powerful, the IFI Diablo 2 would be the way to go. Someone just made a poor choices doing his shoppings.
I already admitted in the previous comment that I do not expect this portable amplifier to drive planar magnetics or 600 Ohm desktop headphones. I have an Edition XS which I have not even tried to run on this device because I know it is not fair to judge it with planar magnetics. Which part of the fact that it is less powerful than a LG G8 which is a goddamn smartphone you do not understand. Again is it too much to ask for a dedicated amplifier to be more powerful than a smartphone and run a moderate level headphones properly ?

Jan 3, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #615 of 699
I already admitted in the previous comment that I do not expect this portable amplifier to drive planar magnetics or 600 Ohm desktop headphones. I have an Edition XS which I have not even tried to run on this device because I know it is not fair to judge it with planar magnetics. Which part of the fact that it is less powerful than a LG G8 which is a goddamn smartphone you do not understand. Again is it too much to ask for a dedicated amplifier to be more powerful than a smartphone and run a moderate level headphones properly ?
You should check technical data first, as i mentioned, the standard sg1 is for iems and iems only (and still for a rather sufficient ones). I understand your disappointment but none promissed you that it will drive your full sized headphones.
Youve had the pa10 and it would drive your headphones easily if you fed it with 4V signal. This sg1 is waay less powerful and it will never deliver enough power for your current needs. Just sell it and get the pa10 and a proper source or just go with the Diablo 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back