Dethonray Pegasus SG1 - BT DAC/Amp Combo
Mar 14, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #677 of 693
A) If your bluetooth engineer friend knew his stuff, he'd tell you that Ldac doesn't reduce bitrate in Optimized for Audio Quality mode.

B) There are no ldac dongles since, basically, every android phone supports it.

C) Dongle does nothing to enhance bt signal, it might use a different chip with different codec support, that's all. If your source had a decent bt chip already, dongle won't make any difference. It's not an antenna lol.

D) Ldac and aptx-hd have similar latency which is automatically offset by most apps anyway, like YouTube.

I see zero benefit in using aptx hd over ldac. Aptx hd has significantly worse bitrate, that's a fact. It also has poor stability which is why its not used with tws iems. I guess you like the more compressed, boomier sound of lower bitrate, I can understand that. But to each their own.
Thank you for sharing your experience with us!
I have Btr7, SG1, Grado Wireless, When connecting a phone/PC with a USB dongle, there is a significant difference in sound quality,and the stability of the connection is better at a longer distance. Although they all receive the same data from MCU through the IIS/PCM/... channel, there are differences in antennas and chips. After all, an external USB dongle like BTD600 will have fewer limitations in antenna signal design and will have a better signal transmission strength. Sennheiser wouldn't design such a small accessory like btd600 to match their own headphones without optimization. If we use a USB dongle like the one in the picture to connect to a PC, the difference in sound quality becomes even more apparent.

1710426171647.png

Mar 14, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #678 of 693
i use ldac all the time with either of those without any problem : Qudelix 5k, Fiio M6, Shanling M0, Topping G5, Fiio BTR15 ( the btr15 has other problems than LDAC tho)
The Shanling M0 and Fiio M6 are Daps, which i also use as LDAC transmitters when needed. Otherwise I use Fiio BTR30 pro and Samsung S20FE as transmitters.
We are discussing LDAC, not specifically which product will be good or bad, because LDAC has a high bit rate, so it has higher requirements for transmission signals and is more sensitive to distance when moving. Wireless products have significant differences in signal strength and algorithms. Even if LDAC provides higher bit rates, if the connection is not good due to distance or blocking during use, I prefer a stable connection method. If we don't move , the sound details of LDAC will perform better.

Mar 14, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #680 of 693
We are discussing LDAC, not specifically which product will be good or bad, because LDAC has a high bit rate, so it has higher requirements for transmission signals and is more sensitive to distance when moving. Wireless products have significant differences in signal strength and algorithms. Even if LDAC provides higher bit rates, if the connection is not good due to distance or blocking during use, I prefer a stable connection method. If we don't move , the sound details of LDAC will perform better.
wrong, if you set high audio cuality ldac bitrate is fix

Mar 14, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #681 of 693
wrong, if you set high audio cuality ldac bitrate is fix

That is true as I understand it, however, in my experience, not with the Pegasus but in general, the useful range of LDAC in the highest quality setting versus connection quality setting is pretty limited and the usefulness of the LDAC high quality setting will be highly dependent on the persons use case since you need to be close to the source device such that you could make the argument that you might as well be wired.

Mar 15, 2024 at 3:12 AM Post #682 of 693
That is true as I understand it, however, in my experience, not with the Pegasus but in general, the useful range of LDAC in the highest quality setting versus connection quality setting is pretty limited and the usefulness of the LDAC high quality setting will be highly dependent on the persons use case since you need to be close to the source device such that you could make the argument that you might as well be wired.
Yes. Wireless transmission distance and bandwidth(bitrate) are at the two ends of the scale, it's difficult to find a balance point. So the chip and antenna design requirements for Bluetooth are very high, requiring expensive testing equipment and professional engineers. LDAC chooses Bitrate, so the distance will definitely be limited. Qualcomm's lossless will further improve audio quality, the bitrate is 1.2Mbps, but it has not received full support from mobile phone manufacturers.

Mar 25, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #683 of 693
Yes. Wireless transmission distance and bandwidth(bitrate) are at the two ends of the scale, it's difficult to find a balance point. So the chip and antenna design requirements for Bluetooth are very high, requiring expensive testing equipment and professional engineers. LDAC chooses Bitrate, so the distance will definitely be limited. Qualcomm's lossless will further improve audio quality, the bitrate is 1.2Mbps, but it has not received full support from mobile phone manufacturers.
This +3db external antenna has significantly better signal than BTD600. Even when moving 10-15M away, the signal remains very stable, while BTD600 only reaches up to 10M.

1711382852944.png

Mar 30, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #686 of 693
Apr 2, 2024 at 1:35 PM Post #688 of 693
Has anyone updated the firmware of their pegasus to the 2024 version? Anson updated it on the google drive from their site, but there's no changelog or anything.... just wondering if anything changed.

Go ahead! The feedback of the volume knob is better now.
Anyone with Gold SG1 tried this new 2024 firmware?

Anson told me in the past previous firmware updates were not meant for Gold as Gold has its own custom firmware and using regular SG1 firmware would be a downgrade in sq (although he said it's compatible If i wanted to try myself, which i did not).

Apr 2, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #689 of 693
As I know, the new firmware is for normal edition and I upgraded to the latest version. The output is more powerful than 2023 and the volume knob response is faster than before. The increase in volume is more useful for me, as I have several high-impedance earbuds. With the new firmware, it performs well at 11 o'clock, whereas before I needed to adjust it past 12 o'clock.

Apr 2, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #690 of 693
As I know, the new firmware is for normal edition and I upgraded to the latest version. The output is more powerful than 2023 and the volume knob response is faster than before. The increase in volume is more useful for me, as I have several high-impedance earbuds. With the new firmware, it performs well at 11 o'clock, whereas before I needed to adjust it past 12 o'clock.
Can you guide me on how to update it?
And any improvement in battery life?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back