Dethonray Honey H1 - USB DAC/AMP
Mar 15, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #574 of 1,004
I had tested with both the Ultraman and 2.0. Ultraman provides slightly more power, and the drivers slam better with it. However, I am using 2.0 now since I am mostly driving IEMs out of thr H1. High gain on 2.0 with the Arya is pretty decent as well.
Are there any power numbers for the Ultraman firmware? I don’t think I’d be comfortable with having to have the volume pot close to or fully maxed out.

Well I ordered it late last night and will be comparing it to the Ifi Micro idsd with the Arya...curious about the difference since both of these are supposed to have a lush/warm sound.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #575 of 1,004
I had tested with both the Ultraman and 2.0. Ultraman provides slightly more power, and the drivers slam better with it. However, I am using 2.0 now since I am mostly driving IEMs out of thr H1. High gain on 2.0 with the Arya is pretty decent as well.
I think I'm on the latest firmware (can't tell) and use only with IEMS. Even with the power hungry Trailli I can only go to about 1 o'clock. That's probably my biggest criticism is that the volume jumps way too much between intervals.

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #576 of 1,004
Just a question, is it normal the H1 comes with no rubber feet and papers inside?

My first impression with the Arya and Ultraman firmware is positive...sounds significantly more dynamic and less veiled than the relaxed Micro iDSD BL.
Both sound warm to me (H1 less so), but the H1 is more resolving and can hear more details. Of course, nothing 'portable' comes close to the Micro iDSD/Diablo if you want to blow
your ears with crazy power.

I also tested the Diablo...the H1 seems more resolving and also more fun to listen to at the same time. Diablo is really dry and boring to me.
The Micro BL and H1 are so different that I could see myself keeping both, but if I had to keep one it would be the H1. Don't quite have the
audiophile vocab to describe what makes it to so fun.

Now make a slightly bigger one with 2W+ output and take my money once again!

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #577 of 1,004
Just a question, is it normal the H1 comes with no rubber feet and papers inside?

My first impression with the Arya and Ultraman firmware is positive...sounds significantly more revealing and less veiled than Micro iDSD BL.
Both sound warm to me (H1 less so), but the H1 is more resolving and can hear more details. Of course, nothing 'portable' comes close to the Micro iDSD/Diablo if you want to blow
your ears with crazy power.

I also tested the Diablo...the H1 seems more resolving and also more fun to listen to at the same time. Diablo is really dry and boring to me.
The Micro BL and H1 are so different that I could see myself keeping both, but if I had to keep one it would be the H1. Don't quite have the
audiophile vocab to describe what makes it to so fun.

Now make a slightly bigger one with 2W+ output and take my money once again!

It surprises me everyday how capable the H1 is and how it manages to destroy most of its competition. From what I have read so far, I can see the H1 surpassing products from top brands having a solid R&D and engineering budget. I can't think of a small company with such a venerable position in the portable audiophile market that too in a relatively small time frame. Really excited to see what Dethonray has in its stable over the coming years!

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #578 of 1,004
So I dare my self doing this and no regrets!
Honey is indeed a DPPU, Desktop Plus Power Unit as Anson said.

Attachments

• IMG_20210320_083803.jpg
    IMG_20210320_083803.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Mar 21, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #579 of 1,004
I seem to have a problem with the USB port on my Honey. Touching/wiggling the cable near the rear port will interrupt the audio stream.

It will be interesting to see how this gets solved with Linsoul/Dethonray...

Mar 21, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #580 of 1,004
I seem to have a problem with the USB port on my Honey. Touching/wiggling the cable near the rear port will interrupt the audio stream.

It will be interesting to see how this gets solved with Linsoul/Dethonray...
I had the same issue... switching the USB-C cable solved the problem

Mar 22, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #582 of 1,004
I would like to ask for a little help.
If anyone can compare one pair of headphones on both SE and BAL, I mean, if anyone has balanced cable and adapter to SE, please send me PM
Also if there is anyone who owns H1 and also has one of the following HPs: Meze 99 classics/noir, Audeze Sine, Hifiman 4xx, Beoplay H6 or Fiio FH7, please PM me.

Thank you
Any luck with your issue?

Decided to order one, and I love how it sounds, but I also noticed an imbalance when running 4.4. It's not subtle. SE is totally fine, but 4.4 is a good bit quieter on the left channel, and I noticed the same issue you did; balanced seems to have less power than SE.

I tried both of the latest firmware files, multiple 4.4 cables, and two different headphones. One thing I noticed is that, if I play with the insertion depth (insert joke here), the left channel wakes up more completely at points, but actually inserting any cable properly results in this imbalance.

Very frustrating.

Mar 22, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #583 of 1,004
Any luck with your issue?

Decided to order one, and I love how it sounds, but I also noticed an imbalance when running 4.4. It's not subtle. SE is totally fine, but 4.4 is a good bit quieter on the left channel, and I noticed the same issue you did; balanced seems to have less power than SE.

I tried both of the latest firmware files, multiple 4.4 cables, and two different headphones. One thing I noticed is that, if I play with the insertion depth (insert joke here), the left channel wakes up more completely at points, but actually inserting any cable properly results in this imbalance.

Very frustrating.
My problem was not the chanel imballance, but the weak 4.4 ballanced output. It seemed same or even quieter/thinner sounding then SE.

I returned the device. Now I am waiting for the seller to try it out and confirm it was defective unit. I will then decide wheter I try it again or just keep ifi idsd signature...

Btw Anson sent me an email saying my unit is defective and I should send it to china for repair, but because device came to me like this I decided to return it to seller, shipping to china and waiting for repair and then deal with the customs office seemed like too much trouble, especially when I just bought it, it was new, thanks god for 14 days return period in EU...

Is your 4.4mm output stronger then SE?

Edit: just read it properly and I see your balanced is also quieter...

Well I guess you are unlucky guy...like me...and got the defective unit.
I think only one guy here replied to me here that his 4.4 is stronger.
I think it definitely should be more powerful and not thinner sounding on demanding HPs.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #584 of 1,004
Ah I see.

And yeah, the 4.4 seems to be a bit weaker than the SE. Definitely doesn't seem right.

And same, I bought new. I just received it a couple of days ago, so fortunately there's time to sort it.

But, again, frustrating, and I have no idea how this passed any sort of QC check. Hopefully it's just me doing something incorrectly...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back