Dethonray Honey H1 - USB DAC/AMP
Mar 11, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #556 of 1,004
This was my first impression when i got my unit. I think burn in and use player that can use hardware volume and set it to the max will fix it (i use hiby music), then can use other player after that.
I am using PC and Mac, I found out that I can't use Tidal exclusive mode, volume is too low.
When I disable exclusive mode, It goes louder. But still nowhere close to ifi micro.
With my android phone the volume is locked same way like tidal exclusive. I did not find solution yet.

I read this thread several times, people praise high power output, I just expected that this device will be more powerful.
How it is possible that balanced output has same power/volume?
Why ultraman has same power/volume?

Mar 11, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #557 of 1,004
I am using PC and Mac, I found out that I can't use Tidal exclusive mode, volume is too low.
When I disable exclusive mode, It goes louder. But still nowhere close to ifi micro.
With my android phone the volume is locked same way like tidal exclusive. I did not find solution yet.

I read this thread several times, people praise high power output, I just expected that this device will be more powerful.
You most likely got a defective unit. No need to search explanation where they aren’t. Return it to the seller and ask for a refund or a replacement. Sorry to read about the issue, I hope you can get a functioning unit soon.

Mar 11, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #558 of 1,004
You most likely got a defective unit. No need to search explanation where they aren’t. Return it to the seller and ask for a refund or a replacement. Sorry to read about the issue, I hope you can get a functioning unit soon.
Yeah, I was looking for confirmation, that behaviour of my unit is indeed different from yours.
Thats why I asked all those question...
So if you are saying my unit is defective, does it mean you dont have such issues?

Mar 11, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #559 of 1,004
Yeah, I was looking for confirmation, that behaviour of my unit is indeed different from yours.
Thats why I asked all those question...
So if you are saying my unit is defective, does it mean you dont have such issues?
No issue at all since fw 2.0. 4.4mm is louder than 3.5mm and I use all kinds of IEMs with different needs in terms of power. Whether through a digital transport or via MacBook Pro, it goes loud and clear, with a fantastic warm yet detailed sound. Never tested Ultraman fw, though.

Mar 11, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #560 of 1,004
hello,
does this sound different connected to desktop vs android phone ?

thank you,

Mar 11, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #561 of 1,004
hello,
does this sound different connected to desktop vs android phone ?

thank you
Pairing the H1 with Android phones or iPhones might trigger some light interference noise while the music is not playing. It’s faint and only happens in seldom cases. Perfectly fine for streaming. Not a streamer myself, but with a Tidal account nevertheless, I prefer to use YT and Bandcamp via desktop. You don’t stream? Grab an xDuoo X10T II (with EQ) and call it a day.

Mar 11, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #562 of 1,004

How would you compare the sound to the Micro?
I have a Micro BL and am intrigued by the H1.

Mar 12, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #563 of 1,004
How would you compare the sound to the Micro?
I have a Micro BL and am intrigued by the H1.
I am not sure if I should compare, since my Dethonray unit is probably defective.
The huge difference is in my case in output power. Currently listening my Audeze Sines on H1, Ultraman fw, High gain at about 5 O'clock.
Ifi Signature drives them on similar way at normal power mode at 12 O'clock. Normal mode should put around 1W into 32Ohms, which should be similar to H1.
I can't go past 3 o'clock, my ears would start to bleed. max power on H1 is a bit too high for normal listening but totally bearable.

Sound quality I can't really compare, I did not have enough time to properly listen and I am forced to send H1 back.

EDIT: just compared BAL to SE on my device with all headphones I have, IEMs, easy to drive dynamic HP and two hard to drive planars. SE is slightly louder with each.
This is definitely not right.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #564 of 1,004
I am not sure if I should compare, since my Dethonray unit is probably defective.
The huge difference is in my case in output power. Currently listening my Audeze Sines on H1, Ultraman fw, High gain at about 5 O'clock.
Ifi Signature drives them on similar way at normal power mode at 12 O'clock. Normal mode should put around 1W into 32Ohms, which should be similar to H1.
I can't go past 3 o'clock, my ears would start to bleed. max power on H1 is a bit too high for normal listening but totally bearable.

Sound quality I can't really compare, I did not have enough time to properly listen and I am forced to send H1 back.

EDIT: just compared BAL to SE on my device with all headphones I have, IEMs, easy to drive dynamic HP and two hard to drive planars. SE is slightly louder with each.
This is definitely not right.
Do you use the correct Bravo HD driver, or are you using some generic windows usb driver.

Mar 12, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #566 of 1,004
Hi,

I'm considering the Honey as my fun amp in my collection. I tend to prefer portables due to lack of space... But can the Honey power t60 Argons? Has anyone tried?

If not I'm might go for the ifi Signature and live on x-bass... But I'm much more drawn to the Honey from what I've read. Has anyone here compared the two?

Any help much appreciated.
Hope I didn't miss this in the thread, but this raises the question about bass, and maybe it's a silly question, but does anyone find themselves wishing the H1 had a bass boost of some sort? It not having one is my only real hesitation at this point...

Mar 12, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #567 of 1,004
I would like to ask for a little help.
If anyone can compare one pair of headphones on both SE and BAL, I mean, if anyone has balanced cable and adapter to SE, please send me PM
Also if there is anyone who owns H1 and also has one of the following HPs: Meze 99 classics/noir, Audeze Sine, Hifiman 4xx, Beoplay H6 or Fiio FH7, please PM me.

Thank you

Mar 12, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #568 of 1,004
Hope I didn't miss this in the thread, but this raises the question about bass, and maybe it's a silly question, but does anyone find themselves wishing the H1 had a bass boost of some sort? It not having one is my only real hesitation at this point...
A bass boost? Omg, never! No seriously, the H1 hits hard and good enough for my taste (and I love a potent yet controlled bass).

ps: high-quality amps don’t require a bass boost.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back