Dethonray Dtr1 Prelude high resolution player
Jun 17, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #406 of 2,316
Firmware 1.44 fixed that. Do you have a fw 2.0? Do you have a link for it?

Unbelievable. I messaged Anson about this. His response in 30 mins was a firmware fixing the volume issue. I now run my IEM at vol 9-16, depending on track. on high gain though, the volume is significantly increased. My functions seems to be the same as 1.44. Seriously impressed with the customer service here.

Sound wise, it's warm but well extended at the treble. It sounds impressively clean for the lack of a better descriptor. Warm and clean doesnt usually work together - but it does in this instance.

Last edited:
Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Jun 17, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #407 of 2,316
U are definitely in the right direction.
Dtr1 is leagues above zx300, as long you can can stand button control rather than touch screen.
But what iem u have to pair with dtr1?
In my opinion, the pentacle will definitely not match with dtr1, as i tried it on high output player such as alien+.
I am happy to hear that. With my current set up i also believe i am not getting the sound i should get for the price i paid. Just an additional question, what's your take on the pentacles? Are they good for you?

Jun 17, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #408 of 2,316
I am happy to hear that. With my current set up i also believe i am not getting the sound i should get for the price i paid. Just an additional question, what's your take on the pentacles? Are they good for you?
Pentacle is design for player with low output, it was never intended for high output player, thats why i never like it, as i use both alien+ and dtr1.
If you want a nice iem on the budget to pair with dtr1, i would always recommend a pair of second hand dita audio the answer truth edition. I works great for dtr1 and the price is amazing when compare whats available in the current market.
Hope this would help and good hunting.

Jun 18, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #409 of 2,316
EB196D82-187C-4357-B36E-D54CD5D1D512.jpeg
The Prelude is being put through its paces with the different monitors I have currently.
While my technical reference combination with the Empire Zeus R customs are my daily go-to, this match-up with the Moondrop Kanas Pro (on NiceHCK 7N crystal copper cables) is becoming a guilty pleasure all on its own.

Just over 60 hrs on the Prelude (other half time is with FiiO M11) but its sound characteristics seem to be “opening” up more, more air between notes and less “heavy” in pacing. Could be going mental but loving it.

Jun 18, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #410 of 2,316
Pentacle is design for player with low output, it was never intended for high output player, thats why i never like it, as i use both alien+ and dtr1.
If you want a nice iem on the budget to pair with dtr1, i would always recommend a pair of second hand dita audio the answer truth edition. I works great for dtr1 and the price is amazing when compare whats available in the current market.
Hope this would help and good hunting.
Thanks mate. My pairing seems good already but i'm not getting the "lifelike" sound from soundtrack "Lea" by toto and other albums i liked. Hopefuly prelude+tanchjim oxygen or kanas pro can deliver it

Jun 18, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #411 of 2,316
To follow up on Mimoulle's comparison, I actually compared the DTR1 to the WM1Z today. The DTR is slightly warmer and less airy compared to the 1Z. The 1Z seems to handle spatial cues better, with greater depth and width in the mix, thus having a better soundstage.

Where the DTR1 beats the 1Z (in my opinion, of course) is at the transients. Next to the DTR, 1Z's transients can sound a little more bloated whereas DTR handles everything cleaner and clearer. The DTR also has better texture - 1Z sounds smoothed out in texture compared to the DTR. The 1Z also seems to have a thinner, slightly more shrill treble compared to DTR. DTR is much more natural in its presentation with greater definition to transients.

Definitely an interesting DAP. Will compare against the LPG (gen 1 and 2) when I have the chance.
20190618_123027.jpg

Last edited:
Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Jun 18, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #413 of 2,316
Jun 18, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #414 of 2,316
To follow up on Mimoulle's comparison, I actually compared the DTR1 to the WM1Z today. The DTR is slightly warmer and less airy compared to the 1Z. The 1Z seems to handle spatial cues better, with greater depth and width in the mix, thus having a better soundstage.

Where the DTR1 beats the 1Z (in my opinion, of course) is at the transients. Next to the DTR, 1Z's transients can sound a little more bloated whereas DTR handles everything cleaner and clearer. The DTR also has better texture - 1Z sounds smoothed out in texture compared to the DTR. The 1Z also seems to have a thinner, slightly more shrill treble compared to DTR. DTR is much more natural in its presentation with greater definition to transients.

Definitely an interesting DAP. Will compare against the LPG (gen 1 and 2) when I have the chance.
What headphone did you used to compare the daps?

Jun 26, 2019 at 6:36 AM Post #417 of 2,316
The DTR1 / Sony N3 (w/ Final E tips) is a fantastic combo. For USD 800.- you get a ridiculously good portable setup. The N3 has its fanbase, but remains quite overlooked in my opinion. The energy and the details from the DTR1 is a perfect match for the N3, the latter having a superb tonality and a great bass, but a slightly rolled-off treble. With the DTR1, the treble is well extended and airy enough, not fatiguing at all. The stock cable of the N3 needs to be replaced with an aftermarket cable and the Sony tips have to be rolled in favor of the Final E ones, IMO. About the cable, the quite affordable Sony MUC-M12SM2 is a perfect solution, solid MMCX connectors, good plug, flexible.

Hope to see the case for the DTR1 released soon...

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #419 of 2,316
My video about DTR1

I am a bit surprised that you took the LPG as a comparison in your review. The sound signature is not the same, at least in my opinion. I spent some weeks with the LPG and although I couldn't compare these DAPs side by side, I would have chosen a "warmer" DAP for the comparison, like WM1Z or SP1K. No offense intended, just my 2 cents. For the rest, I agree with your statement, for USD 530.-, you get sound quality at its best, without any fancy features. That's why I like and own that little mean thing.

PS: your reviews are informative and we feel the passion you have for music. This is the common vector that brought us here I think. Keep up the good work. But please, try to avoid putting the price of items into play. I am sure you exactly know what I am talking about

Users who are viewing this thread

Back