Dethonray Dtr1 Prelude high resolution player
Jun 29, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #421 of 2,316
PS: your reviews are informative and we feel the passion you have for music. This is the common vector that brought us here I think. Keep up the good work. But please, try to avoid putting the price of items into play. I am sure you exactly know what I am talking about

yes, I'm sure what you're talking about. and to be honest, I'm pretty tired explaining that I didn't say that, and my words are taken out of context. I'm not an idiot to say such idiotism. There is a polemic method called "straw man" when you assign a strange thought to your opponent and then refute it and that was the case.
I've already explained that in M11 thread and I don't want to once again prove that I'm not a camel :)

So, thank you for your feedback and I think we'll better return to DTR1

I am a bit surprised that you took the LPG as a comparison in your review
for me, DTR1 and LPG share the same approach: emotions over neutrality. they don't 100% similar in the signature, but their accent on the emotional side makes me thinking of parallels. And what is surprising for me, "mini-LPG" is a common characteristic of DTR1 in local community

Jun 29, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #422 of 2,316
yes, I'm sure what you're talking about. and to be honest, I'm pretty tired explaining that I didn't say that, and my words are taken out of context. I'm not an idiot to say such idiotism. There is a polemic method called "straw man" when you assign a strange thought to your opponent and then refute it and that was the case.
I've already explained that in M11 thread and I don't want to once again prove that I'm not a camel :)

So, thank you for your feedback and I think we'll better return to DTR1

for me, DTR1 and LPG share the same approach: emotions over neutrality. they don't 100% similar in the signature, but their accent on the emotional side makes me thinking of parallels. And what is surprising for me, "mini-LPG" is a common characteristic of DTR1 in local community
Thanks for your explanation regarding the LPG comparison. I was not aware of the "mini-LPG" denomination for the DTR1, which sounds very odd for me given the fact that both DAPs don't share the same sound signature, at least for me. Anyway, matter of taste at the end.

The first part of your answer remains a mystery, though... How about the M11? I have no idea what you are talking about... In your reviews, I noticed that you mentioned prices within items comparisons. This is not very useful I think. You are not the only one, most of the reviewers tend to that. If you have been attacked regarding that matter, I understand you feel annoyed by my feedback. No harm intended though...

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #423 of 2,316
Have a 400G Sandisk card in there, loaded with wav files (I pulled it from the QA361, so I'd have the same music to reference. So far I have used my Sennheiser IE800s, Campfire Solaris, (walk and coffee shop), and at home tried my Final Audio Pandora Hope VI, Focal Utopias, and a quick listen with my Nordost Heimdall 2 wired Meze Empyreans.

With such a powerful amp stage, even with -117 SNR, i'd think the Solaris would hiss. Is this the case, and if so, how much? The reason I ask is because I'm on board and will order one tonight, but I plan on using it with very sensitive IEMs (perhaps even a 2nd hand solaris) and normal sensitivity IEMs all the same. Currently, my Plenue 2 has been the most versatile DAP I've owned, and both the balanced and SE are dead silent with Andromeda.

BTW, thanks to @cleg. It was his video on youtube that turned me in the direction of the 'deathray'. BTW, we should all start a petition to the designer to re-brand it as such. I always loved the old school RSA product naming schemes, and renaming it would be a hat tip to Ray S himself. Or a jab... depending on how you interpret the pun.

Jun 30, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #424 of 2,316
With such a powerful amp stage, even with -117 SNR, i'd think the Solaris would hiss. Is this the case, and if so, how much? The reason I ask is because I'm on board and will order one tonight, but I plan on using it with very sensitive IEMs (perhaps even a 2nd hand solaris) and normal sensitivity IEMs all the same. Currently, my Plenue 2 has been the most versatile DAP I've owned, and both the balanced and SE are dead silent with Andromeda.

BTW, thanks to @cleg. It was his video on youtube that turned me in the direction of the 'deathray'. BTW, we should all start a petition to the designer to re-brand it as such. I always loved the old school RSA product naming schemes, and renaming it would be a hat tip to Ray S himself. Or a jab... depending on how you interpret the pun.
Recently i had chance to try DTR1 with andromeda and nobel kaiser, there was no hiss with either of them at low gain mode. Couldnt try high gain as even with 1 click on volume control, andromeda was way too loud for comfortable listening..

Jun 30, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #425 of 2,316
I do not have any hiss issues, but I am 62 years old.... :triportsad::darthsmile: I do not find the DTR1 warmer than the Sony 1Z. I think the Sony is a bit more mid-hall than the DTR1, but the DTR1 does do much better with the leading edges of sounds/notes. I really like the "Deathray" with my Senn ie800s's. Sound great together and are easily shirt-pocket-able...

Jun 30, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #426 of 2,316
I noticed that you mentioned prices within items comparisons. This is not very useful I think. You are not the only one, most of the reviewers tend to that

my favorite type of price mention is "wow, how did they manage to make that for such a small price?" :)

Jun 30, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #427 of 2,316
Glad to see this thread seeing more activity.

just sharing my 2 cents if it's worth anything.

Any publicity regardless of who or how it is interpreted is good for the brand. It creates curiosity and questions.
Products that are well built and have true value, would stand up to scrutiny and discerning customers.

Which is why i have great confidence in the Dethonray DTR1 Prelude product. It is simple, and it is a great product. Regardless of price.
Sure it does not have the flavor of the year streaming service or that huge colorful display that recently launched players have.
But what the Prelude does have and does it better than most (if not all) is the sound.
If anyone needs streaming or bluetooth or LDAC ... there are many other options out there, good for them. But for the sound, there is few that matches the Prelude and cost much much more.

The Prelude will shatter perceptions on price to performance value. It did for me.
And those willing to take a chance on a fledgling brand, will be rewarded for their leap of faith. It did for me.

So perhaps when i say i DARE anyone who's in this hobby for a long time and feel that they cannot get great sound at reasonable price, to give the Prelude a go.

Imagine, the Prelude is Dethonray's first product with today's flagship level sound, on 3.5 mm single ended, on a single AKM 4490EQ DAC with separate power management for UI and Audio sections.

Imagine what the company can do with today's flagship hardware and balance output.

Jun 30, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #428 of 2,316

just sharing my 2 cents if it's worth anything...

...Which is why i have great confidence in the Dethonray DTR1 Prelude product. It is simple, and it is a great product. Regardless of price.
Sure it does not have the flavor of the year streaming service or that huge colorful display that recently launched players have.
But what the Prelude does have and does it better than most (if not all) is the sound.
If anyone needs streaming or bluetooth or LDAC ... there are many other options out there, good for them. But for the sound, there is few that matches the Prelude and cost much much more.

The Prelude will shatter perceptions on price to performance value. It did for me.
And those willing to take a chance on a fledgling brand, will be rewarded for their leap of faith. It did for me...

I agree with you 100%.

And most newer DAP's I have that do include LDAC Bluetooth and WIFI for streaming, seem to have poorer signal strength than the average phones.

So on the "wish list", It would be great if the Dethonray "MKII", could connect to a phone via USB, and still get the same sound quality out. That would allow rock solid streaming.
- It may mean carying two devices, but most folks carry a phone everywhere today anyway... I am fine with the DTR1 not having WIFI and Bluetooth; when my phone has both.
i.e. Phone for casual listening on the go with wireless devices. And DTR1 (with or without phone) for serious listening. Just an idea.

Jun 30, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #429 of 2,316
My only hesitation at this point is whether or not the hdmi charger is compatible in USA. I've only seen the pics of the euro type plug. I suppose I can ask penon if nobody can confirm. I'll then report back.

Jun 30, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #430 of 2,316
My only hesitation at this point is whether or not the hdmi charger is compatible in USA. I've only seen the pics of the euro type plug. I suppose I can ask penon if nobody can confirm. I'll then report back.

All this 3 types of Plug available, just tell them your preference before buying.

59693479_316170175741946_1666172905387458560_n.jpg 59781419_596192314216571_4140161934324400128_n.jpg 59884773_448056902609392_7093799712444121088_n.jpg

Jul 1, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #431 of 2,316
Would Dethonray consider selling the charging cable as a standalone accessory (mini-HDMI to USB/USB-C) so we may plug a portable power bank to recharge on the move? That would be an awesome accessory to have around.

Jul 1, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #432 of 2,316
I am a bit surprised that you took the LPG as a comparison in your review. The sound signature is not the same, at least in my opinion. I spent some weeks with the LPG and although I couldn't compare these DAPs side by side, I would have chosen a "warmer" DAP for the comparison, like WM1Z or SP1K. No offense intended, just my 2 cents. For the rest, I agree with your statement, for USD 530.-, you get sound quality at its best, without any fancy features. That's why I like and own that little mean thing.

PS: your reviews are informative and we feel the passion you have for music. This is the common vector that brought us here I think. Keep up the good work. But please, try to avoid putting the price of items into play. I am sure you exactly know what I am talking about
That's the only dumb thing I heard about his reviews. Saying comparing cheaper to expensive is illogical is a clear bias statement. The rest of what he says is informative and helpful though. But putting price to compare performance is dumb.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #433 of 2,316
I guess given how this hobby has been going and the prices that we see for new high end gears, there's some manner of "truth" to it.
It's really a case of how much profit a company wants to get out of their customers and those who are willing to pay for them.

We can only hope companies such as Dethonray, FiiO and iBasso are putting up the good fight and offer great sounding products at reasonable prices.
This hobby is a fun one and we can have as many enjoy good sound quality without breaking the bank, then more power to these said companies.

Jul 3, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #434 of 2,316

just sharing my 2 cents if it's worth anything.

Any publicity regardless of who or how it is interpreted is good for the brand. It creates curiosity and questions.
Products that are well built and have true value, would stand up to scrutiny and discerning customers.

Which is why i have great confidence in the Dethonray DTR1 Prelude product. It is simple, and it is a great product. Regardless of price.

And those willing to take a chance on a fledgling brand, will be rewarded for their leap of faith. It did for me.

So perhaps when i say i DARE anyone who's in this hobby for a long time and feel that they cannot get great sound at reasonable price, to give the Prelude a go.

Imagine, the Prelude is Dethonray's first product with today's flagship level sound, on 3.5 mm single ended, on a single AKM 4490EQ DAC with separate power management for UI and Audio sections.

Imagine what the company can do with today's flagship hardware and balance output.

You are right! I have tried many DAP with WiFi and BT, Frankly speaking, the SQ are very ordinary.Maybe those DAP are willing to be a mobile phone with so many functions, even install other APP.For me, DTR1 of "deathray"
is amazing as a source for my audio system. Hope the team can focus on the sound quality and make more valuable products. I think I will become the fans of this brand. LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back