Dethonray Dtr1 Prelude high resolution player
Jul 28, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #1,411 of 2,316
Has anyone heard the SR25 yet? The next dap I plan to get will be a huge leap up in both quality and price from my M0 and I’m increasingly torn between the DTR1, the FiiO M11 Pro SS and the SR25. For what it’s worth I will be only be using IEMs, all under $300.

Jul 28, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #1,412 of 2,316
Yeah. Still keeping tabs here for your updates (back to lurker mode :) )

The FiiO M11 Pro SS is more musical, airy, wider staging, a touch more lush and smoother.
Was surprised at how much better it sounded over the standard M11 Pro.

So am rotating between the DTR1 and M11 Pro SS on my daily comments and home use.
Really a nice place to be in at the moment. :L3000:

From what I’m reading the only difference is the casing. How would the SS sound any different from the standard M11 Pro?

Jul 29, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #1,413 of 2,316
2.Will this pair well with Rtymotic ER2XR IEMs?
I have the DTR1 with ER2XR. Fantastic pairing and this with all music genres I am listening to (basically everything excepting Country and Asia-Pop). Check posts nr. 1289 and 1309 in the thread.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #1,414 of 2,316
I have the DTR1 with ER2XR. Fantastic pairing and this with all music genres I am listening to (basically everything excepting Country and Asia-Pop). Check posts nr. 1289 and 1309 in the thread.

I did see those posts :)

The AK SR25 just looks so damn good at a very similar price point...

Jul 29, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #1,415 of 2,316
I did see those posts :)

The AK SR25 just looks so damn good at a very similar price point...
Cosmetics vs. pure sound quality, choose your dope. Just teasing a bit here, but DTR1 is on another level soundwise. I listened to the SR25 and even if it's better than the SR15, the gap is still there vs. DTR1. This is my opinion. Now, if you can try SR25 and you like the sound, get it and live a happy life.

Jul 29, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #1,416 of 2,316
From what I’m reading the only difference is the casing. How would the SS sound any different from the standard M11 Pro?

Your guess is as good as mine. Having owned both, i was floored at the performance of the SS versus standard.
Either there's some secret sauce that FiiO isn't disclosing, or there's an issue with my hearing.

Even did a head-on comparison of the SS and the Lotoo Paw Gold Touch.
Besides a very slight difference in tonality, it was literally performing almost identical technically.
And this comparison was done in the dead of night when there's no noise or sound in the environment.

This is just based on what i've heard and perhaps others would have different results.
One thing is for sure, the Dethonray DTR1 Prelude and FiiO M11 pro stainless steel limited edition, are to me, proof that flagship sound quality need not come with astronomical price tag. I'm sure those who own multi-thousand dollar priced players would disagree, they're entitled to their opinion as well.

Jul 29, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #1,417 of 2,316
Well, now my unit was refused to turn on even though I hit the reset button.

The last time I was tried to turn on but no luck, so I leave it on the table, then I pick it up after for a while and it feel really warm.
After that reset button trick is not working any more.

Already contact the seller and direct email to Anson to see if there any solution for this case.

I love the SQ but the reliability is make me sad. The funny thing is I have the Fiio X5 (1st gen) leave in a drawer nearly 3 or 4 years and it still working.

Jul 29, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #1,418 of 2,316
Well, now my unit was refused to turn on even though I hit the reset button.

The last time I was tried to turn on but no luck, so I leave it on the table, then I pick it up after for a while and it feel really warm.
After that reset button trick is not working any more.

Already contact the seller and direct email to Anson to see if there any solution for this case.

I love the SQ but the reliability is make me sad. The funny thing is I have the Fiio X5 (1st gen) leave in a drawer nearly 3 or 4 years and it still working.

Sorry to hear about your DTR1. Am a little concern with the recent comments on owners DTR1 units seeming to have issues one way or another.
I'd ask Anson to look into the quality control and tighten it up. The DTR1 is the company's maiden product and for longevity, trust and motivation to pursue products from the company in future, is determined by the quality the company delivers. This applies to any company, and i've banned a few companies after having to deal with beta products after repeated (different) issues. Money (now more than ever) is hard earned, respect the customer when they put their money (and trust) in a product they purchase. Because if they don't, the customer will bring the money to a company that does.

Jul 29, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #1,419 of 2,316
Sorry to hear about your DTR1. Am a little concern with the recent comments on owners DTR1 units seeming to have issues one way or another.
I'd ask Anson to look into the quality control and tighten it up. The DTR1 is the company's maiden product and for longevity, trust and motivation to pursue products from the company in future, is determined by the quality the company delivers. This applies to any company, and i've banned a few companies after having to deal with beta products after repeated (different) issues. Money (now more than ever) is hard earned, respect the customer when they put their money (and trust) in a product they purchase. Because if they don't, the customer will bring the money to a company that does.

I strongly agree. I decided to bought this DAP cause I want to support the man that created the company and product with his love, I read all the thread and saw a positive feedback on Anson, I want him to be success and to be a great newcomer in a flood of ridiculous pricing DAP market.

The product itself tick many box in my list. SQ focus, no unnecessary features, price range and very simple to use. I also thought that it should be excellent quality cause as a new company you have to build the trust to the customer. Moreover, it so simple and basic DAP that I never expected it to failed in only 1 month.

Anyway, bad luck can always happen, the rest is waiting and hope for a good support.

Jul 30, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #1,420 of 2,316
It has been very exciting to read about this DAP that is solely focused on SQ. That's really all I care about. I am looking to replace my (very old) "Imod" - a modified 4g Ipod that a fellow named Vinnie Rossi modified (so now it's just LO with Blackgate capacitors). Anyway, it has always sounded great but now it has finally died. I am now using a Fiio X3 1st gen but that is just temporary. I will be driving both my home 2-channel setup (Gallo Nucleus Solo speakers and Virtue Audio T-amp - see picture) and my Etymotic ER-4S.

I've read here that the DTR1 pairs very well with the Ety ER2XR ; maybe that would be better than my old ER-4S (?). I've always used a headphone amp - another old piece - the SR-71 from Ray Samuels. Most of my files are ALAC. So I'm wondering if this Dethonray piece is exactly what I'm looking for.

So - I'm kind of odd. I don't replace things very often and I do a lot of research before buying something. The price of the DTR1 sounds good if the SQ is really as good as everyone says. My Gallo speakers are *very* revealing and I'd probably be listening through them more than my earphones (because of working from home) Any thoughts?
gallos_and_virtue (2).jpg

Jul 31, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #1,421 of 2,316
It has been very exciting to read about this DAP that is solely focused on SQ. That's really all I care about. I am looking to replace my (very old) "Imod" - a modified 4g Ipod that a fellow named Vinnie Rossi modified (so now it's just LO with Blackgate capacitors). Anyway, it has always sounded great but now it has finally died. I am now using a Fiio X3 1st gen but that is just temporary. I will be driving both my home 2-channel setup (Gallo Nucleus Solo speakers and Virtue Audio T-amp - see picture) and my Etymotic ER-4S.

I've read here that the DTR1 pairs very well with the Ety ER2XR ; maybe that would be better than my old ER-4S (?). I've always used a headphone amp - another old piece - the SR-71 from Ray Samuels. Most of my files are ALAC. So I'm wondering if this Dethonray piece is exactly what I'm looking for.

So - I'm kind of odd. I don't replace things very often and I do a lot of research before buying something. The price of the DTR1 sounds good if the SQ is really as good as everyone says. My Gallo speakers are *very* revealing and I'd probably be listening through them more than my earphones (because of working from home) Any thoughts?
gallos_and_virtue (2).jpg

IMO. At that price range, DTR1 is a champ on SQ.

However, it depend on your listening behavior cause you will not get convenient browsing the tracks as iMod for sure.
If you just press play and forget / select album and let it play through / random all tracks, the DTR1 will serve you well.
If you search for specific track quite often / select Artist and play all tracks or random, you have to organize you library to the way you want or consider other DAP.

All in all for my personal experience, I overcome the inconvenient for the SQ. I really like the DTR1 even though my unit was died right now. Still hope I will get fix soon.

Jul 31, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #1,422 of 2,316
I generally just play Albums so that should be fine. My current 128G microSD is FAT32 - less than 100G of music. So is exFAT just for larger capacity and/or better performance ? Or does this player require it ?

Jul 31, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #1,423 of 2,316
I generally just play Albums so that should be fine. My current 128G microSD is FAT32 - less than 100G of music. So is exFAT just for larger capacity and/or better performance ? Or does this player require it ?

Technically if it can handle exFAT it should be fine with FAT32.

FAT32 only required for firmware update.

Aug 2, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #1,424 of 2,316
Well - I think I will be ordering one via Amazon. I will report back about my experiences listening both though the earphones and the Gallo speakers. I think I've read almost all the pages of this thread and I appreciate all the information that has been provided about this DTR1 player.

Aug 3, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #1,425 of 2,316
Latest impressions:
I've tried to be meticulous in figuring out the playing time I get on the DTR-1. I set if for an hour playback at bedtime (easy to think you did, but not have clicked the middle button and accept the time), not turning it on and off gratuitously. I've gotten 7 hours so far, and looks like 1 more left in the tank tonight, for 8 total. That would be pretty much what others have been experiencing.
Using Westcort W60 mostly, very nice combo. Also pulled out my old UE Triple Fi 10, and the Final Audio Heaven V (both of which have been discontinued for a while now); all 3 have been great sounding through the DTR-1. Still find the UI kind of wonky, but have gotten used to it, and able to manage with it OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back