Dethonray Dtr1 Prelude high resolution player
Dec 29, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #1,021 of 2,313
Dec 29, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #1,023 of 2,313
Hi evry one !
I am new in this forum, according to the the fact that the QLS QA361 has more or less the same philosophy and same approach, I was wondering if this DAP may go a bit further than the DTR1 in terms of sound quality and power.
Any comparaisons between these two DAPS will be most welcomed, as if we add the Dethonray Amp to the DTR1, price will be very closed to each other.
Thanks for your informations.

Jan 5, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #1,024 of 2,313
Hi evry one !
I am new in this forum, according to the the fact that the QLS QA361 has more or less the same philosophy and same approach, I was wondering if this DAP may go a bit further than the DTR1 in terms of sound quality and power.
Any comparaisons between these two DAPS will be most welcomed, as if we add the Dethonray Amp to the DTR1, price will be very closed to each other.
Thanks for your informations.
Hi,

We live in the same country. If you are close to Zurich, PM me for a test listen of the Dethonray DTR1/HA-2 combo with your IEMs or headphones. I also have some drivers at hand if you want to compare with yours. If possible, bring your SD-Card with your own tracks and your current source. It will allow you to make direct comparisons.

About your question: Even if I never listen to the QLS QA361 myself, I have heard that it has quite an analytical/cold sound signature. As always, one or two statements are not enough and very individual... Both players are enjoying a (very) good reputation, so I think you cannot do wrong under the USD 1K barrier. I am biased, because I love my DTR and the HA-2 is bringing even more power into play (most likely more than the QLS QA361 as a standalone DAP).

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #1,025 of 2,313
Hi,

We live in the same country. If you are close to Zurich, PM me for a test listen of the Dethonray DTR1/HA-2 combo with your IEMs or headphones. I also have some drivers at hand if you want to compare with yours. If possible, bring your SD-Card with your own tracks and your current source. It will allow you to make direct comparisons.

About your question: Even if I never listen to the QLS QA361 myself, I have heard that it has quite an analytical/cold sound signature. As always, one or two statements are not enough and very individual... Both players are enjoying a (very) good reputation, so I think you cannot do wrong under the USD 1K barrier. I am biased, because I love my DTR and the HA-2 is bringing even more power into play (most likely more than the QLS QA361 as a standalone DAP).
Question. Does the sound quality of the DTr sound transfer over to the amp via the line out? More specifically, is the DTr line out having anything special to it? Have you tried another player with a good line out into the amp and is the sound comparable? Reason I ask is that I like the amp but wondering if the stack is about the amp, DTr, or both.

Jan 6, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #1,026 of 2,313
Question. Does the sound quality of the DTr sound transfer over to the amp via the line out? More specifically, is the DTr line out having anything special to it? Have you tried another player with a good line out into the amp and is the sound comparable? Reason I ask is that I like the amp but wondering if the stack is about the amp, DTr, or both.
Yes, DTR1 via LO to the amp. The LO from the DTR1 is very good as already reported by another member earlier in the thread (don't remember which page and member, though - it was in summer 2019, I think). My other DAP is a Calyx M, which doesn't sport a dedicated LO, only the 3.5mm HO, thus causing double amping. You get slightly more air in the highs and a kind of wider soundstage with the amp. My other amp, the FiiO A5, offers good power also, but it is more colored, a tad warmer.

Jan 6, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #1,027 of 2,313
Hello,
I'm very interested by this DTR1.
I will peharps buy one in next weeks. For now, i have a AK SR15. I hope this DTR1 will be better...
I don't use wifi, streaming etc..
I will use it with the Focal Stellia. I don't know if someone have already listen them together...?
There is one thing i always use , i always listen all my music in shuffle mode. All titltes in shuffle mode. I saw that the DTR1 has a shuffle mode, but is it possible to listen all music in shuffle ? I mean, not only an folder, album but all the music.
I owned a Lotoo PG , il loved the SQ but i have to sell it because of the shuffle mode, the shuffle mode played often the same titles, the algorythm was very bad....
This is peharps my ponly wish for the DTR1, that it have a full shuffle mode possible and if yes, i hope this mode works very well and doesn't play often the same titles or albums...

Thanks by advance for your answers...

Jan 7, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #1,028 of 2,313
Hello,
I'm very interested by this DTR1.
I will peharps buy one in next weeks. For now, i have a AK SR15. I hope this DTR1 will be better...
I don't use wifi, streaming etc..
I will use it with the Focal Stellia. I don't know if someone have already listen them together...?
There is one thing i always use , i always listen all my music in shuffle mode. All titltes in shuffle mode. I saw that the DTR1 has a shuffle mode, but is it possible to listen all music in shuffle ? I mean, not only an folder, album but all the music.
I owned a Lotoo PG , il loved the SQ but i have to sell it because of the shuffle mode, the shuffle mode played often the same titles, the algorythm was very bad....
This is peharps my ponly wish for the DTR1, that it have a full shuffle mode possible and if yes, i hope this mode works very well and doesn't play often the same titles or albums...

Thanks by advance for your answers...

Hello

Simply to answer your 'shuffle' question; I have just copied approximately 300-CD's to FLAC format and transferred them to my DTR1. I am currently 'burning in' everything on 'shuffle' mode and can confirm that the DTR1 will 'shuffle' everything contained on the data card without repeating tracks. Currently, my player shows around 3900 tracks and 'shuffles' using them all. The only other setting that needs to be 'on', is "Play Through Folders", allowing 'shuffle' mode to choose from the entire contents of the data card, as opposed to a single folder/album.

I am early days with the optional HA-2 amplifier, but certainly agree wholeheartedly with the opinions of other members and moreover, I would say the differences are greater, to my ears, than have been described. Anson recommended at least 30-hours 'burn-in' for the new amplifier and explained that its Class A design would need 10-mins of warm up on each 'turn on' to give of its best. I am amazed at how the sound is developing over time, treble is even more realistic, bass weight firming up, the soundstage width, depth and height increasing greatly (especially compared to the DTR1 on its own) and the 'space' around instruments also increasing a lot!!! Wow :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #1,029 of 2,313

Great review, really interesting and very similar experience to my ears. Your comments from last year had a big influence on my choices; I now have the same Final E5000 setup including DTR1 & HA-2 and have often been mesmerized at the way my music is being presented. As I mention previously, the sound is still 'maturing', but constantly exciting, however if music is not well recorded.....it really stinks :triportsad:

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #1,030 of 2,313
Great review, really interesting and very similar experience to my ears. Your comments from last year had a big influence on my choices; I now have the same Final E5000 setup including DTR1 & HA-2 and have been often mesmerized at the way my music is being presented. As I mention above, the sound is still 'maturing', but constantly exciting, however if music is not well recorded.....it really stinks
Thanks a lot for your words and I am truly happy that your are enjoying this great combo as I do :)

Jan 7, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #1,032 of 2,313
Thank you very much Celticprince for your help !
That confirm what F700 told me about this shuffle mode.
@F700 : great review ! Because of you, it helps to convince guys like me to change my SR15 with this DTR1:wink:
Because of you again, the Calyx M makes me curious too... :wink:

Thanks a lot Drahtaar, very nice from you. I will call you the "shuffle master" from now on :) Your last PM was very interesting to read. I actually did not know that different kinds of algorithm could be programmed for the shuffle mode, not being a shuffle user myself. Please report once Anson came back to you with the answer you are looking for.

I had the SR15 on loan a year ago approx. I liked the form factor and the solid built. I found the sound being smooth, kind of warm, pleasant to the ear, but I was missing some energy, clarity and details. It would have been a great player at USD 350.-, but for more than USD 700.- I decided to pass. The DTR1 is an other animal, you will see/hear. It hasn't the same premium finish, but it is very solid and portable too.

The Calyx M, yes. Well, I invite you to visit the dedicated thread. It has a lot of caveats, like battery life and the UI. Moreover, I am 99% sure that there is no shuffle mode.

Jan 7, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #1,033 of 2,313
"shuffle master"..:beyersmile:
Well, for the Calyx M, i have read that that many of them had some UI issues. In another hand, I like the volume system, as you can find it on the C4 pro, which was a great SQ player ! I miss it ! But the C4 doesn't have a "shuffle all" mode. That was made me sell it. But one day, i will buy it..again, just for the pleasure to listen it sometimes.
Happy to see that you had the SR15 and you confirm the DTR1 is far away in SQ:)
Yeah i like the solid built and the look of the SR15. The DTR1 doesn't have the same philosophy, for sure...
But with my new Stellia, i would like to enjoy with optimal SQ , to optimize it.

Jan 16, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #1,034 of 2,313
Hi folks! I am very interested in this DAP now and just wondering, what is the maximum memory card support on it? As for playback, does it do up to DSD256? Thanks!

Jan 16, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #1,035 of 2,313
Hi folks! I am very interested in this DAP now and just wondering, what is the maximum memory card support on it? As for playback, does it do up to DSD256? Thanks!

From what I tested DSD 64. From what I read earlier it supports up to 1 TB ( I used 512 and that works fine)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back