Dethonray Dtr1 Prelude high resolution player
Dec 17, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #992 of 2,313
Welcome in this fantastic audio and musical journey:)

What are you listening too? What is your kind of sound signature?

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #993 of 2,313
Welcome in this fantastic audio and musical journey:)

What are you listening too? What is your kind of sound signature?
Mostly Jazz (60s Blue Note / Prestige / Pacific Coltrane, Miles, Monk, Rollins, Joe Henderson also some Freejazz; some fusion and recent Jazz and related music as well, some Hiphop Tribe Called Quest, Q-Tip, and some "neo soul" / Beats: Solange, Sampha, Erykah, D'Angelo, Flying Lotus, Thundercat. Rarely I'll listen to some electronic music like old skool house / deep house. But only here and there. I want to get into classical! Abstract stuff as well.
Pretty much no rock/metal. Some blues.

If it helps: My favorite speakers I have heard so far are Harbeth SHL5+ and TAD2402. Both don't have overly bright highs, yet are super transparent. The Harbeths have a really relaxed, laid back presentation, but are still fun and very detailed. The TADs, while featuring are Horn are also not shouty or "horny" at all.

I am definately open to suggestions regarding some IEMs / Headphones to try in combination with the DTR1.

Dec 17, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #994 of 2,313
Mostly Jazz (60s Blue Note / Prestige / Pacific Coltrane, Miles, Monk, Rollins, Joe Henderson also some Freejazz; some fusion and recent Jazz and related music as well, some Hiphop Tribe Called Quest, Q-Tip, and some "neo soul" / Beats: Solange, Sampha, Erykah, D'Angelo, Flying Lotus, Thundercat. Rarely I'll listen to some electronic music like old skool house / deep house. But only here and there. I want to get into classical! Abstract stuff as well.
Pretty much no rock/metal. Some blues.

If it helps: My favorite speakers I have heard so far are Harbeth SHL5+ and TAD2402. Both don't have overly bright highs, yet are super transparent. The Harbeths have a really relaxed, laid back presentation, but are still fun and very detailed. The TADs, while featuring are Horn are also not shouty or "horny" at all.

I am definately open to suggestions regarding some IEMs / Headphones to try in combination with the DTR1.
Very complete description, nice. With your music preferences, I could suggest Final E5000 or Fibae Black as IEMs. I own both and also like/listen to your music styles.

Harbeth SHL5+ are my dream speakers. TAD is the Pioneer high-end, right? Very expensive, but very "musical" sounding components if I remember well from an old audio meet I attended where I live (not far from you actually).

Do you need a DAP at home or on the go, or both ? Is musicality and SQ much more important than features for you? I ask because the very, but very, controversary Calyx M DAP is the most analogue sounding digital device I know. Have a look at it also maybe.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #995 of 2,313
Very complete description, nice. With your music preferences, I could suggest Final E5000 or Fibae Black as IEMs. I own both and also like/listen to your music styles.

Harbeth SHL5+ are my dream speakers. TAD is the Pioneer high-end, right? Very expensive, but very "musical" sounding components if I remember well from an old audio meet I attended where I live (not far from you actually).

Do you need a DAP at home or on the go, or both ? Is musicality and SQ much more important than features for you? I ask because the very, but very, controversary Calyx M DAP is the most analogue sounding digital device I know. Have a look at it also maybe.

The Harbeths are my dream speakers as well... one day...
And you are correct regarding the TADs / Pioneer Exclusive. These speakers are from another planet, but too big and too expensive for my living conditions.

Thank you for the recommendations regarding IEMs - I will have a look at both!

Regarding SQ/musicality vs features/comfort - I'd say in this case SQ trumps features. Otherwise I'd listen with my phone via BT Headphones :wink:
I will take a look at the Calyx, but the DPR1 is cheaper, and I somehow like the style of the DPR1 as well. Very retro-futuristic. If you say the Calyx M sounds maybe better... I will have a look.

Dec 17, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #996 of 2,313
The Harbeths are my dream speakers as well... one day...
And you are correct regarding the TADs / Pioneer Exclusive. These speakers are from another planet, but too big and too expensive for my living conditions.

Thank you for the recommendations regarding IEMs - I will have a look at both!

Regarding SQ/musicality vs features/comfort - I'd say in this case SQ trumps features. Otherwise I'd listen with my phone via BT Headphones :wink:
I will take a look at the Calyx, but the DPR1 is cheaper, and I somehow like the style of the DPR1 as well. Very retro-futuristic. If you say the Calyx M sounds maybe better... I will have a look.
Calyx M and DTR1 are complementary for me. No one is better, now that I have mileage on both. Enjoy your quest amigo

Dec 17, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #997 of 2,313
I sell my dtr1 because for me lack of strong character this is super clean and clear and superpowerfull but some other dap is clean and clear and they have a unique house sound like sony or calyx m of hifiman dap. I actually prefer my colorflyC4 than dtr1... but its have to deny this is really good dap if you just care about pure sound and you don't care about their signature this is my 1st pick.

Dec 19, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #999 of 2,313
Got the new portable amp from Dethonray today, the HA-2. Thanks to Anson having it shipped within 4 days from Shenzhen to Europe. After having spent a few hours with it today, here is what I DO NOT know:

- If it hisses with multi BA-only IEMs (all of my single DD, single BA and hybrid IEMs did not hiss)
- How loud this can go, because even on low gain my hungry E5000 and Fibae Black are gloriously fed at 45% percentage volume
- How it handles full-size headphones (will try later with my LCD-X)

What I can tell so far:

- It doesn't get hot
- No distortion, even at (very) high volumes
- Volume knob is very precise
- It lasts approx. 8 hours with a charge (need to let it empty once and full charging it to definitely confirm this statement)
- It is very solidly built (Anson, one more time, you did an amazing job)
- No lag when you stop/start the music on the DTR1, which is remarkable IMO
- The 3.5mm jack connector is long enough in order to hold your DTR1 while skipping tracks or choosing your music without moving the amp
- ...it brings the DTR1 to the next level in terms of SQ. Yes, I know, honeymoon time, but I think the HA-2 adds some slight warmth in the mids, expanding the soundstage while keeping all the details. A winning combo for me so far. Sure, I need more time with it and side by side comparison in order to really confirm such an affirmation.

Here are a few pictures:
image 5.jpg
IMG_20191219_173005.jpg
IMG_20191219_173052.jpg
image.jpg
image 4.jpg
image 2.jpg

All my IEMs sounded better out of the HA-2. Here are how some pictures and comments on how they "scale" (from little to very significant):

SONY N3
Bass is tighter and the N3 gains some energy, goes louder and the stage is slightly wider. The N3 is a great allrounder and represent an amazing value, even by today's standards and the Chi-Fi invasion (in a good way).
IMG_20191219_181650.jpg

BQEYZ SPRING 1
My last IEM to date and still in the "get 2 together" process. The immediate improvement is in the midrange. It is fuller, but always a bit lacking for my taste. Highs are tamed a bit, which is a good thing on that set. Still, the Spring 1 remains the brighter IEM of my collection. Level of details is impressive. Very enjoyable pairing.
IMG_20191219_181013.jpg

FIBAE BLACK
Heavily modified single BA which eats power like there is no tomorrow. Midrange king. Very musical presentation, pounding but clean bass. Smooth treble. My favorite pairing for evening/night session maybe, even if the next two scale even better than the Black.
IMG_20191219_175431.jpg

FINAL E5000
The E5000 needs/wants/likes power and there is no exception here. The highs are clearer and the sound is not closed-in at all. Spacious soundstage, tremendous clear bass and fantastic detail retrieval. Perfect midrange as well, not too meaty and not recessed. My favorite single DD and pairing when it comes to crank the volume.
IMG_20191219_174238.jpg

BLON BL-03
This USD 35.- pair of IEMs never stops to amaze me. The single DD is craving for power, so that it can shine. Oh boy, I like that pairing. The HA-2 feeds the BL-03 like a mother her hungry baby. Everything has improved here. Tighter bass, airier highs, wider soundstage. Some are comparing the BL-03 to the Senns HD650. I understand that. It might lacks the technicalities or the finesse from a E5000 or Fibae Black, but their tuning ensures a very satisfying listen. Interesting how an amp can almost transform an IEM.
IMG_20191219_180314.jpg

Ok, there were my first, quick impressions about the HA-2. For me, a no-brainer for people with single DD or power-hungry IEMs. Even full-sized headphones will be properly driven I think (still to be tested).

Another win from Anson and his team. More to come on due time.

Purchase link: https://penonaudio.com/dethonray-hpamp-ha-2.html (I have no affiliation with Dethonray or Penon Audio)

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #1,001 of 2,313
@F700
Thanks for the report - sounds promising.

Not too keen on the blue LEDs. Amber would have been nice. Somehow for me led-colour equals: blue = cheap gear.

It is cheap yes... regarding the SQ and the unit you get for the price :) I agree with you actually, amber would have been nice. When listening and not taking pictures, I don't see the leds, my DTR1 being on top, so it's ok.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #1,002 of 2,313
Got the new portable amp from Dethonray today, the HA-2. Thanks to Anson having it shipped within 4 days from Shenzhen to Europe. After having spent a few hours with it today, here is what I DO NOT know:

- If it hisses with multi BA-only IEMs (all of my single DD, single BA and hybrid IEMs did not hiss)
- How loud this can go, because even on low gain my hungry E5000 and Fibae Black are gloriously fed at 45% percentage volume

What I can tell so far:

- It doesn't get hot
- No distortion, even at (very) high volumes
- Volume knob is very precise
- It lasts approx. 8 hours with a charge (need to let it empty once and full charging it to definitely confirm this statement)
- It is very solidly built (Anson, one more time, you did an amazing job)
- No lag when you stop/start the music on the DTR1, which is remarkable IMO
- The 3.5mm jack connector is long enough in order to hold your DTR1 while skipping tracks or choosing your music without moving the amp
- ...it brings the DTR1 to the next level in terms of SQ. Yes, I know, honeymoon time, but I think the HA-2 adds some slight warmth in the mids, expanding the soundstage while keeping all the details. A winning combo for me so far. Sure, I need more time with it and side by side comparison in order to really confirm such an affirmation.

Here are a few pictures:

All my IEMs sounded better out of the HA-2. Here are how some pictures and comments on how they "scale" (from little to very significant):

SONY N3
Bass is tighter and the N3 gains some energy, goes louder and the stage is slightly wider. The N3 is a great allrounder and represent an amazing value, even by today's standards and the Chi-Fi invasion (in a good way).

BQEYZ SPRING 1
My last IEM to date and still in the "get 2 together" process. The immediate improvement is in the midrange. It is fuller, but always a bit lacking for my taste. Highs are tamed a bit, which is a good thing on that set. Still, the Spring 1 remains the brighter IEM of my collection. Level of details is impressive. Very enjoyable pairing.

FIBAE BLACK
Heavily modified single BA which eats power like there is no tomorrow. Midrange king. Very musical presentation, pounding but clean bass. Smooth treble. My favorite pairing for evening/night session maybe, even if the next two scale even better than the Black.

FINAL E5000
The E5000 needs/wants/likes power and there is no exception here. The highs are clearer and the sound is not closed-in at all. Spacious soundstage, tremendous clear bass and fantastic detail retrieval. Perfect midrange as well, not too meaty and not recessed. My favorite single DD and pairing when it comes to crank the volume.

BLON BL-03
This USD 35.- pair of IEMs never stops to amaze me. The single DD is craving for power, so that it can shine. Oh boy, I like that pairing. The HA-2 feeds the BL-03 like a mother her hungry baby. Everything has improved here. Tighter bass, airier highs, wider soundstage. Some are comparing the BL-03 to the Senns HD650. I understand that. It might lacks the technicalities or the finesse from a E5000 or Fibae Black, but their tuning ensures a very satisfying listen. Interesting how an amp can almost transform an IEM.

Ok, there were my first, quick impressions about the HA-2. For me, a no-brainer for people with single DD or power-hungry IEMs. Even full-sized headphones will be properly driven I think (still to be tested).

Another win from Anson and his team. More to come on due time.

Purchase link: https://penonaudio.com/dethonray-hpamp-ha-2.html (I have no affiliation with Dethonray or Penon Audio)

Thanks for the impression. I am putting my radar on this bellow..

Dec 20, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #1,004 of 2,313
I have the Aune B1s. Will the difference be significant?

76688887_10157054933079317_3706029925694701568_o.jpg
I have not tested the Aune B1S, cannot tell. But I compared the HA-2 with the FiiO A5 today. FiiO is a tad less powerful, but very "clean" as well. A bit more coloration in the mids and darker sound signature with the FiiO. The HA-2 unleashes its power with authority, with a very faint touch of warmth compared to the standalone DTR1. Both are great amps, the HA-2 looks prettier, though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back