Dethonray Dtr1 Prelude high resolution player
Oct 19, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #796 of 2,316
Intriguing... Also because Calyx was one of the options I had in mind ..I recently Lost an opus #3, hence looking for some detailed but organic and Sparkling DAP..

One thing I did not get though, DSD Is not native or limited? I ask since I have a lot.of converted SACD ISOs...

Say, I am in the fence between Calyx and Prelude, I actually listen and love Alien+, acoustic research AR M200, and loved ( as long as It worked) the opus 3. I did not like instead QLS QA361, Fiio M11 and recently trying out iBasso DX203, with average sarisfaction and very scarce engagement...
Why do you think you didn't like the QLS QA361?

Oct 19, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #797 of 2,316
Why do you think you didn't like the QLS QA361?

I liked it a bit just when double amped, not really "safe" use in the long term :)
Basically very technical but a tad "dry" sounding and not that engaging, to me of course!
(same impressions I had with DX203 and M11.... maybe it's me, I am not that "reference")

In the meantime I got back another Opus3, and to me so far is one of the few DAPs that makes me smile when listening to music... go figure! :)

Oct 19, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #798 of 2,316
I liked it a bit just when double amped, not really "safe" use in the long term :)
Basically very technical but a tad "dry" sounding and not that engaging, to me of course!
(same impressions I had with DX203 and M11.... maybe it's me, I am not that "reference")

In the meantime I got back another Opus3, and to me so far is one of the few DAPs that makes me smile when listening to music... go figure! :)
maybe it's just a matter of taste

Oct 19, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #799 of 2,316
I have used both, but It Is a very hard call to me.. Mojo sounds a bit darker imho, DTR1 Is more airy and "open" (?), Detail retrieval Is almost on par, maybe a tad more present on Mojo, soundstage again to me Is more Wide on DTR1, but again you Need a good pair of headphones to really get differences of this kind, imho.

Having said this, Mojo Is Always something to be stacked with, DTR1 Is about same size but you basically won't Need anything else.

DTR1 idea, to me, Is to concentrate on SQ and driving power, getting Song from an SD, and move around with light and small setup.
Does that mean that Mojo and DTr1 in sound quality is a draw? considering now that Mojo is cheaper (399 dollars), if we only focus on the sound and not on another feature ...

Oct 20, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #800 of 2,316
Have not compared them directly, but to me they does not sound as if they are ages apart, at least in terms of details and separation.

Mojo could be less airy though, and consider that in the same form factor basically you have a complete DAP with the DTR1.

It really comes down to user scenarios to me in the end.. if you Need a DAC+Amp and have a good transport already, or if you want a small "puncher" to carry with you all day with ease..

On a SQ only basis, to me It would be hard to tell which Is the best one.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #802 of 2,316
Have not compared them directly, but to me they does not sound as if they are ages apart, at least in terms of details and separation.

Mojo could be less airy though, and consider that in the same form factor basically you have a complete DAP with the DTR1.

It really comes down to user scenarios to me in the end.. if you Need a DAC+Amp and have a good transport already, or if you want a small "puncher" to carry with you all day with ease..

On a SQ only basis, to me It would be hard to tell which Is the best one.
I was basically hoping which one was better in sound quality, now I know that there is not much difference between the two in sound quality, and that difference is not like day and night, in that situation I can adapt to a DAC or DAP, then I will go for the cheapest ... Thanks your input has been very useful!

Oct 20, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #804 of 2,316
Does that mean that Mojo and DTr1 in sound quality is a draw? considering now that Mojo is cheaper (399 dollars), if we only focus on the sound and not on another feature ...

For what its worth, I wouldnt say so. I have both here on my desk and i'm pretty new to the DTR1, because i was super curious about it and want a DAP that can power my 300ohm ZMF verite closeds, i had to give it a go. The major difference for me is the weight and control of presentation which is better in the Mojo by some distance, where the bass has a lot more impact and feels better controlled too. The rest of presentation is just that bit more visceral too, with snares having more snap and cymbals more shimmering texture. That said i find the Mojo has the beating in these same areas over most DAPs i've owned inc DX200, SP1000cu, wm1a and 1z. Comparing the DTR1 to these from memory is a pretty flawed process for me at least, but i'd like to say its in the ball park especially of the wm1a and DX200, with way more power than either of them. I dont use my Mojo very often, because i now work from home so my less portable rig is easily to hand, but listening to it again now, i'm remembering just how good it is and at the new discounted price its got to be one of the best example value for money in hifi.

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #805 of 2,316
For what its worth, I wouldnt say so. I have both here on my desk and i'm pretty new to the DTR1, because i was super curious about it and want a DAP that can power my 300ohm ZMF verite closeds, i had to give it a go. The major difference for me is the weight and control of presentation which is better in the Mojo by some distance, where the bass has a lot more impact and feels better controlled too. The rest of presentation is just that bit more visceral too, with snares having more snap and cymbals more shimmering texture. That said i find the Mojo has the beating in these same areas over most DAPs i've owned inc DX200, SP1000cu, wm1a and 1z. Comparing the DTR1 to these from memory is a pretty flawed process for me at least, but i'd like to say its in the ball park especially of the wm1a and DX200, with way more power than either of them. I dont use my Mojo very often, because i now work from home so my less portable rig is easily to hand, but listening to it again now, i'm remembering just how good it is and at the new discounted price its got to be one of the best example value for money in hifi.
I am quite surprised by Mojo's ability, if you like Mojo more than sound quality DTr1, I deduce that you also like Mojo more than DX200, SP1000cu, wm1a and 1z ... Well, I'm sure of something: If Mojo had been a DAP you would be using it nowadays today!

Oct 20, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #806 of 2,316
I am quite surprised by Mojo's ability, if you like Mojo more than sound quality DTr1, I deduce that you also like Mojo more than DX200, SP1000cu, wm1a and 1z ... Well, I'm sure of something: If Mojo had been a DAP you would be using it nowadays today!

DAPs by their nature are a bundle of compromises and as niche with niche market the amount of R&D money that goes into them is pretty tiny in the great scheme of things. Its not surprising to me that a company like chord, made famous first for their amplifiers and more recently for their market defining DACs, should be able to build DAC/Amp that out performs any DAP. They also dont have to worry about all the elements required to make a DAP. From my experience the Dragon Fly Red or Cobalt both out perform the majority DAP DACs too. The mojo may be long in the tooth but i've stiil yet to hear a sub £1k DAC that can beat it as an overall package. Until being tempted to try the DTR1 i had given up on DAPs, preferring the iphone UI with dragon fly or mojo. I'm still impressed with the DTR1 and i like the Dethonray ethos and responsiveness to customer feedback. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next.

Oct 20, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #807 of 2,316
DAPs by their nature are a bundle of compromises and as niche with niche market the amount of R&D money that goes into them is pretty tiny in the great scheme of things. Its not surprising to me that a company like chord, made famous first for their amplifiers and more recently for their market defining DACs, should be able to build DAC/Amp that out performs any DAP. They also dont have to worry about all the elements required to make a DAP. From my experience the Dragon Fly Red or Cobalt both out perform the majority DAP DACs too. The mojo may be long in the tooth but i've stiil yet to hear a sub £1k DAC that can beat it as an overall package. Until being tempted to try the DTR1 i had given up on DAPs, preferring the iphone UI with dragon fly or mojo. I'm still impressed with the DTR1 and i like the Dethonray ethos and responsiveness to customer feedback. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next.
and what do you think of the ifi Micro BL? have you tried it yet? Anyway, I think you're happy with your DTr1 and Mojo, in good time!

Oct 20, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #808 of 2,316
I have trie
and what do you think of the ifi Micro BL? have you tried it yet? Anyway, I think you're happy with your DTr1 and Mojo, in good time!

i liked the micro bl for its power, its definitely got more omph than the mojo, but sound-wise, despite being good on detail i remember thinking it was just a bit flat and un-dynamic compared to the chord.

Oct 20, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #809 of 2,316
I have trie

i liked the micro bl for its power, its definitely got more omph than the mojo, but sound-wise, despite being good on detail i remember thinking it was just a bit flat and un-dynamic compared to the chord.
Thank you! It was all I wanted to know !! In other words, Mojo is more musical! like the DTr1 ... I'm almost determined

Oct 20, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #810 of 2,316
Thank you! It was all I wanted to know !! In other words, Mojo is more musical! like the DTr1 ... I'm almost determined

yep thats about the measure of it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back