DETAILED Instructions for Soundstage Mod HD555 Headphones
Mar 11, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #31 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and yeah, using a solder iron is NOT necessary. A small pair of scissors works fine. I'm going to go back in tomorrow to file down the sharp ends, but it did 99% of the job of the soldering iron without any of the smell, burn plastic, or risk to your health.

Glad it worked for you too. I should've mentioned that I went over the "cuts" a couple of times to make sure I'd cut the fabric enough underneath, so that I didn't need to remove the outer grill.

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #32 of 76
I'd suggest removing the grill to anyone thinking about doing the mod. You might end up damaging the outer grill if you try cutting through the inner one while it is still attached.

That is just my experience with it though. Obviously you were able to do it with the grill still on, so it is possible.

Mar 11, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #33 of 76
i would also suggest doing this as well. removing it isnt as hard as people say it is. the glued ones arent that bad if you use a screwdriver to cut through it and then pry them up.

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #35 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does this mod help to only increase the bass effect?
The 555 is as it is too bassy for me.(No deicated soundcard or amp)

Too bassy?
Are you powering them with a receiver (with high Zout)?

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #36 of 76
^not from a reciever.. directly from the motherboard..

Wait a minute i an newb.. so let me ask first does the bass mean drums boom effect or the sound of the bass giutar ??
confused_face_2.gif

i was refering to Drums boom kinda effect which give a headache..
Sorry for the n00b-ness
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #37 of 76
Bass includes a big range of frequencies, from deep sub bass which you can only "feel" (~20 Hz, sub up to 60 Hz) to boomy/punchy frequencies up to ~200 Hz.

You could use a simple equalizer to find out the exact frequency range that's bothering you.

Afaik, the HD555 is not famous for fullness at the lower (bass) end. Maybe you're listening very loud or you're bit sensitive in that area? Do you have other headphones to compare to?

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #38 of 76
the only other headphone is PMX60..
i might be a bit more sensitive, since my friend did not have any problem listening from it for the same songs for same amount of volume which i found too heavy to handle..

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #39 of 76
That and I think that circumaural headphones (like the HD555) create a better seal between your eardrums and the transducer compared to something like the PMX60, PX100 etc. which will improve the headphones ability to pump deep bass tones into your brain. (Well not brain, but I guess you get the idea.) - something you might not be used to.
Since you're listening from the computer it should be no problem to apply some EQ. (Most music players and even soundcard drivers have EQs integrated.) Try it out!

Jun 23, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #41 of 76

After you cut it out you must file them down perfectly or risk oblong sound reproduction.  The waves will bounce off in a weird angle and hit the edges that are not symmetrical.  There is no way it can sound better without making it perfect.  Also, if you wanted bass enhancement you should cut a small hole right in the center and place a O shaped ring around that new hole made of foam or tape so the sound is now more focused

:\

soldering?  good lord man why not just take a rock and bash it out?  lol  Such a terribly dangerous idea :[

Sep 4, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #42 of 76
hey
just returned to this forum because im getting into headphones again.  anyways, i will have a fresh pair of hd555 soon to do this mod.  i am going to do the scissors instead of soldering iron.  only reason i did the soldering iron is because it was what all the google searches how to's had on them.  but i now know the plastic is pretty flimsy and it should work fine with much less mess and better looking edges.  anyways, i am going to leave the white paper piece on this time as well.  but does anyone know how hard it is to re-wire the hd-555 to have a wire going to each cup?  i think it makes the headphones look even more better and modded.  is it hard to do?  anyone on this forum have a write-up?  i still think my pictures are excellent for this mod other than the soldering part lol.  thanks!

Sep 23, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #43 of 76
I looked at the the work involved and ordered an HD600.

Sep 24, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #44 of 76

Quote:
I looked at the the work involved and ordered an HD600.

LoL, considering the HD555 just became a flavor of the month for only 75$, I'm not sure that's a reasonable response for somebody like me. 75$, vs 400$-300$ plus the additional cost of an amp designed to drive such high impedance cans. I personally just wanna see if they are the sennheiser house sound and if i can get something close to 600-650 on my I+. Doesn't have to be the whole deal, just a chunk. Getting bored atm.

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #45 of 76
Thanks OP, I just did this mod to my HD555s and I can definitely tell a clear difference in the cans. Right now I still prefer my ATH-A700s but I think once these get broken in I might change my mind, we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back