Desktop headphone amp help budget $50-60
Apr 19, 2009 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

genclaymore

Headphoneus Supremus
I looking for a desktop headphone amp,that I can switch to when I get spare money. I liking my Fiio E5 for my desktop but I getting tired of charging it up again when it runs out.

I was hoping what was some good headphone amp that doesnt change the sound and just drives the headphones. Something with RCA inputs as I gonna be using it with my HDAV13 from my comp, Like I doing with the Fiio E5.

I not gonna be getting it now, but I planning to, It has to be 50-60ish as I cant afford to spend any higher on it.

Atleast something that can either be powered by usb if not the wall.

I dont want a usb dac or any thing. Just a headphone amp. Thanks.

Apr 19, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #2 of 14
Sorry, your soundcard will sound better than any amp you can get with that budget. I can't even see you beating your soundcard's SQ if you were to build a DIY amp with that budget.

Just save up and dip into the amp pool with a proper budget. I would say atleast $150.

Apr 19, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 14
All I need is something that will drive my headphones, as my sound card doesnt drive them fully. Thats why I org bought the Fiio E5 for. But I needed something that doesnt need to be recharge every 2 days.

I had my eyes on a total head room headphone amp even tho its 99 dollars. I not trying to beat the sound quailty of my sound card. I only need something to drive my headphones that dont req me to sit and let them charge up again.

If I dont use a headphone amp my headphones will req me to up the vol higher for them sound right.

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 14
You're only going to be able to get something worthwhile on that budget if you diy. Look into the CTH ("Compact Tube Hybrid") or the Millet Starving Student Hybrid if you're interested. Parts, no enclosure (you can recycle something around the house), will run you about $60-70 shipped for the Millet.

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 14
Thanks, because I not really skilled at doing DIY headphone amps =/ .

Apr 20, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #7 of 14
Theres some used home amps in the for sale section of the forum right now under $80.

Apr 20, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by genclaymore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, because I not really skilled at doing DIY headphone amps =/ .

Neither was anyone else when they started. Unfortunately, $50-$60 is only enough to get an amp if you roll your own. It's tough even then, since a quality power transformer will cost $50-$60 by itself.

If you're not willing to build your own, sell stuff you don't use, start doing the gardening or odd jobs for your neighbors or find a part time job.

If you're in school, check to see if an electronics class is offered. If there is, take it. You'll get access to a full lab, tools and a teacher who knows this stuff. Ask the teacher if you can build an amp for a term project - that should go over well and you'll have expert help.

Apr 20, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #11 of 14
Hotaudio makes some decent stuff on the cheap. I've been playing around with an older DAC/amp that he made which I got on Ebay for little $$$, and I'm quite impressed.

Apr 20, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #12 of 14
I recommend the PA2v2 amp. For $60. The amp has an AC adaptor so you don't have to worry about recharging the amp. It also takes batteries too and you can use rechargable AA batteries if you wish. Great flexibility!

http://www.electric-avenues.com/

I used to own this amp actually and it's pretty good for a budget amp. However, don't expect a refined tone or an added depth of silky textures in the music with a budget amp. You will however be able to rock out with a high volume though.

Apr 21, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #13 of 14
In your price range, I suggest a used integrated amp or receiver to drive your headphones. I'm using an old Kenwood amp I picked up at a yard sale until I decide on a dedicated headphone amp. I use it with both my 5.5 iPod and a Denon CD player, and the phones used with it are Denon AH D1001 and JVC HARX700 and HARX900.
Some cassette decks can be pressed into service as headphone amps through use of the monitor function. In any case, try out whatever you may have on hand, and check around some pawnshops. Good luck!

Apr 21, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #14 of 14
I think there's a desktop pimeta on the FS forums now. I reckon go and check it out
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back