Desktop Amplifiers (for speakers) with good Headphone Amplifiers
May 19, 2011 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

RevMen

New Head-Fier
I will soon be moving my Audioengine P4s to my office and I will need something to power them.  Ideally I could get an amplifier with a very good headphone amp to power my DT880/250 phones.  Currently that job is being performed by a Little Dot mkIII.  I don't have a whole lot of desktop real estate available, so one unit to do both jobs would be best.  A quality built-in DAC would be a bonus, and I'd like to keep it below $400.  No real preference between tube and solid state.

So far on my list:

-Maverick Audio Tube Magic A1
-Musical Paradise MP-301 mk2

Anyone have any opinions on these two units vs. each other?  Anyone know of any units I'm forgetting?  I've intentionally left the Audioengine N22 off because I've read the headphone amp isn't all that great on that unit.

May 20, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #3 of 22
Having heard both with the dt880s, i would say the Maverick comes out on top as a headphone amplifier (althought i was using the 600ohm version). I have also used it for a period of time with my Audioengine 2s and they sounded pretty well together, however i dont know how the MP-301 performs as a speaker amp

May 20, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #4 of 22
^ I don't think OP and I are talking about using the A1 as a preamp.

The AudioEngine P4's are passive speakers. They need an amplifier to power them, which is where the A1's class A/B amp comes into play.

May 20, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #5 of 22
Having heard both with the dt880s, i would say the Maverick comes out on top as a headphone amplifier (althought i was using the 600ohm version). I have also used it for a period of time with my Audioengine 2s and they sounded pretty well together, however i dont know how the MP-301 performs as a speaker amp

This is good info. I'm more interested in their performance as a headphone amp since that's what most of my listening will be. I'm about 95% sure the Mav-Audio is the way to go, but I'm worried it won't sound as good as my Little Dot.

May 20, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #7 of 22
I know what you're saying, but tube doesn't automatically equal good.  And a tube gain section is far more important than a tube power section.

I think I'll probably get the A1 and compare it side by side with my Little Dot, just to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot.

May 21, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #8 of 22
Yah. It's said that the A1 isn't a pure tube amplifier. Not proven though.

Spanky says the audio signal goes through the tubes, then to the solid state. It then splits to the headphones and the speaker outputs from there.

Doooo it. I may give my friend my incoming A1 to test with his Little Dot IV as well, since it uses the same tubes.

May 22, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #9 of 22
The NuForce Icon series seems like something you would want to look into.

May 22, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
The NuForce Icon series seems like something you would want to look into.

I did look into these but the headphone amps don't seem to be much to talk about.  I could be mistaken, though.

Quote:
How about a refurbish Peachtree Audio Decco for $499?

Very interesting.  Thanks for the tip.  I shall investigate further.

May 22, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
I did look into these but the headphone amps don't seem to be much to talk about.  I could be mistaken, though.

Very interesting.  Thanks for the tip.  I shall investigate further.

Excellent idea on the Decco. I honestly don't know what could be better as a DAC/Preamp, and its speaker and headphone taps are certainly nothing to sneeze at.

May 22, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #13 of 22
A few small options that come to mind:
Nuforce Icon 1 or 2: power amp, headphone amp, dac
Temple Audio Bantam XC2: power amp and headphone amp
Travagans Red/Green: power amp, headphone amp, Green is also a usb dac but has no linein

May 22, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #15 of 22
save yo money & get a vintage amp. its naturally warm with hefty bass authority plus lots of power for even lowZ speakers. their headouts should also play nice with your DT880-250. my ex DT880-600 pounded hard when driven by either my vintage Sansui or Pioneer. YMMV ofcos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back